UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Picked up some pristine IMI Orlite 35-round magazines

Picked up some pristine IMI Orlite 35-round magazines

Spendy, but they look fantastic, super-easy to insert and drop, and weigh 5.5 oz. unloaded vs 11.5 for the steel IMI mags. Have not shot yet, but if they are in excellent condition, how well do they perform in general compared to steel magazines?

UZI Talk Life Member
    From my personal experience they tend to be brittle & the feed lips break causing feeding issues. As to how yours will do, good questions since they are in such good condition. Probably will do as well as metal without the weight.
    "Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

Thanks boscoman. I just loaded one up to 34 rounds with zero issues. I did not want to force the last bullet given polymer feed lips. But it was a piece of cake. I can get two more, but given the cost, and given I've not yet shot with them, I'll hold off. I've got 7 metal 35-rounders and 4 11- (some say 12-) rounders for bench shooting. It would be great if somebody made something in between like a 20- or 25-rounder. I'd love to get my hands on some SA-made 35-round polymer mags, but they appear to be unobtanium (and which is fine, I don't *need* more mags for my Galil).

UZI Talk Life Member
    For polymer mags my favorite are Tapcos. They are also not made anymore but can be found once & a while on Gunbroker & Ebay. They are very smooth & well made.
    "Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

Yep, the Orlite’s are somewhat brittle. There was a prototype 75rd Galil drum magazine IMI had that I spotted when in Israel. Wouldn’t mind adding that to my collection.

IMI did make 20 round mags in 5.56. I have only seen a few of these.

Checkout Frontier Armory for the SA polymer mag.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I've got 112rd, 335rd, and 250rd mags (all are metal, and IMI, AFAIK) for my Golani, I really should grab 4 more 35rd and at least 1 more 50rd mags. Wouldn't pass up a Tapco Mag if I ran across one at the right price. I got the ones I have now when I ordered the Golani, so I got a good deal on them. They had a limit on the 35&50 Rd mags (2 each, gun came with 1) or I would've ordered more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugh! View Post

You are killing me Ugh! Dang, I might need to get 2. UPDATE: they are now out of stock, which is fine as I really don't need more 35-round magazine (delivered from temptation)...
    I like the 35-rounders, but for bench shooting (which I do a lot of), the 35-rounders just take up a lot of space. I bought Magpul 20-rounders for my AR the same reason (but much, much cheaper and easier to find). Besides, with ammo prices, I mostly shoot in groups of 10 rounds anyhow...
    Last edited by Batty67; 05-29-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugh! View Post

I have a few of those. I got them along with some L.E. Only marked 35s several years ago from Botach.

Ding! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Excellent-looking 20-round Galil steel magazine. If you or anyone knows where to find a few, please let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by 2manytoys View Post
    I have a few of those. I got them along with some L.E. Only marked 35s several years ago from Botach.
    That is how I got mine also. Botach is the only place I ever saw these. I wish I picked up more when they had them.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Probably gonna be much easier to cut down a 35rd mag

I don't *need* them, but you never know, they might show up someday. Took like 6 weeks of looking for the Orlites to show up on GB... Thanks

Somebody on GB is selling 7 new in bag Orlite mags for $250 (so about $40 each with shipping back to folks). Oh, and that's presuming the min bid wins in 6+ days. Otherwise, no deal. Anyone want to get in on this? I could purchase the group, but I do not need 7. I'd like say 2-3 more tops. If this post is against the website rules, please delete, or let me know, and I will delete the post. Thanks.

While I have Orlites and steel mags for my IMI 372 Galil, I most often shoot with 20 round U.S. 16/15 mags using the UA Adaptor. The 20 rounders are so much easier if at a bench. It works great and then I can use any 16 type mag including drums.

I snagged two more new in bag 35-round Orlite mags for a decent price. That makes 4 that I have. I'm set, perhaps if I ever see some reasonably priced SADF mags or the highly illusive steel 20-rounders, I'll pick up. But I'm pretty much set with 7 steel 35-rounders (4 Orlite) and 4 of the steel 11-rounders.

+ Reply to Thread