UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Lahti L-39 anti tank gun legality

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    38

    Lahti L-39 anti tank gun legality

    Hey guys. I have an opportunity to snag a Lahti L-39 anti tank gun. He said it's functional. Everything im seeing on research says it's a DD and needs to F4 to me. Can anyone confirm?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    38
    Pretty sure their a fed after their follow up texts

  3. #3
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Villafuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    732
    Without the 20mm bbl., it's a Title-1 / Non-NFA firearm...... just like M-79's and M-203's

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    nePA
    Posts
    1,467
    I would ask to see the current Form 4 for verification of NFA registration status.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    38
    He said he had no docs for it. I asked about F4 status, he said he didn't have one and if I bought it he would just "forget about the sale"

  6. #6
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Mackjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,761
    I believe some were converted to 50 cal so there would be no form 4. Otherwise…. Something doesn’t sound right. Need more details

    https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/32355742
    Last edited by Mackjack; 07-13-2021 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Example 50 cal lahti conversion to non nfa

  7. #7
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Mackjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliteSociety View Post
    He said he had no docs for it. I asked about F4 status, he said he didn't have one and if I bought it he would just "forget about the sale"
    This sounds pretty bad…. Entrapment perhaps

  8. #8
    Registered User DistalRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,251
    If it is a complete gun in 20mm, it is absolutely a DD.

  9. #9
    UZI Talk Life Member
    BWE Firearms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Longwood, FL
    Posts
    1,915
    If it is complete, it is a DD and should be registered. Tell him you will buy it but without the barrel but you know someone who wants a barrel. Have him pull the barrel. sell you everything but the barrel. Have a friend buy the barrel. Once you get the Lahti, register it on a form 1 as a DD build. Once approved go get the barrel from your friend, install it and then you have a registered legal Lahti. A lot of people don't like this but it is legal on your part, the seller is currently in possession of an illegal DD.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

    BWE Firearms & Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by BWE Firearms View Post
    If it is complete, it is a DD and should be registered. Tell him you will buy it but without the barrel but you know someone who wants a barrel. Have him pull the barrel. sell you everything but the barrel. Have a friend buy the barrel. Once you get the Lahti, register it on a form 1 as a DD build. Once approved go get the barrel from your friend, install it and then you have a registered legal Lahti. A lot of people don't like this but it is legal on your part, the seller is currently in possession of an illegal DD.
    I thought about doing this. It's all just a little fishy and I don't want to draw any unwanted attention to me or my collection of toys.

  11. #11
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Mackjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by BWE Firearms View Post
    If it is complete, it is a DD and should be registered. Tell him you will buy it but without the barrel but you know someone who wants a barrel. Have him pull the barrel. sell you everything but the barrel. Have a friend buy the barrel. Once you get the Lahti, register it on a form 1 as a DD build. Once approved go get the barrel from your friend, install it and then you have a registered legal Lahti. A lot of people don't like this but it is legal on your part, the seller is currently in possession of an illegal DD.
    Thatís a good idea!

  12. #12
    UZI Talk Life Member
    BWE Firearms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Longwood, FL
    Posts
    1,915
    I had a customer get into a deal like this. Told the seller take the barrel off and he would buy it. Seller said OK then when the buyer went to pick it up barrel was still on it. He said nope and the seller tried everything he could to have the buyer take possession. Buyer called ATF to report it and never heard a word about it. It was probably an attempted sting.

    I've had people try to sell me supposedly unregistered machine guns before. I always have them come over and I will buy it, if the price is right of course. When they get to my shop I wont even touch the gun I just point to the bandsaw and tell them to cut it in half then I will buy it. They usually always get weird then. The best one was the time I got an FBI buddy of mine to come over for the deal. He was actually interested in the parts. When the buyer showed up I could tell they new each other. The buyer just started fumbling his words and said he decided not to sell it. I told the buyer I didnt think I could let him leave with an illegal machinegun and my buddy was an FBI agent and should arrest him. My buddy kind of started stammering and came up with some kind of excuse for not arresting the seller. Me with a shit eating grin on my face the hole time. I even offered to call the local ATF to straighten it all out. Its fun to screw with government agents.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

    BWE Firearms & Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    nePA
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    I believe some were converted to 50 cal so there would be no form 4. Otherwise…. Something doesn’t sound right. Need more details

    https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/32355742
    Yes, many were converted to 50 BMG by the owners. Many years back, Sam Cummings of Interarms fame, the original importer of the 999 20mm Lahtis, had around 250-300 converted to 50 BMG by Charles Erb. He was upset that his imported Lahtis were being used for criminal activity.

    Back in 1965 Joel Singer and his gang bought two Lahtis from Interarms and had them shipped to upstate NY. He had a feeling that they were being watched so he broke into the shipping company over the weekend and took his guns, then went on to rob a Brinks location by shooting a hole through the vault wall. They got $430,000 (about $3.3 mil today) and Singer did get caught. This was the basis for the Clint Eastwood movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot".

    Around the same time, the fBi came across another gang that was going to do the same type of robbery, but they were stopped.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    631
    How is the person asking you to pay for it/receive it? My experiences with this type of situation in the past have not been ATF stings but rather someone trying to scam me out of money. When I reported them to the ATF, they said "just don't buy it".

  15. #15
    UZI Talk Supporter
    root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,305
    If anyone knows about these and the different legal builds and numbers out in the public's hands it would be Kramer.

    Along with the loading data for said 20mm

  16. #16
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Gaujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Yes, many were converted to 50 BMG by the owners. Many years back, Sam Cummings of Interarms fame, the original importer of the 999 20mm Lahtis, had around 250-300 converted to 50 BMG by Charles Erb. He was upset that his imported Lahtis were being used for criminal activity.

    Back in 1965 Joel Singer and his gang bought two Lahtis from Interarms and had them shipped to upstate NY. He had a feeling that they were being watched so he broke into the shipping company over the weekend and took his guns, then went on to rob a Brinks location by shooting a hole through the vault wall. They got $430,000 (about $3.3 mil today) and Singer did get caught. This was the basis for the Clint Eastwood movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot".

    Around the same time, the fBi came across another gang that was going to do the same type of robbery, but they were stopped.
    Looking up these robbers made for a good read. Is it possible to reload these shells? I would think you'd need a whole scaled up loader and hardware.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    chili17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Looking up these robbers made for a good read. Is it possible to reload these shells? I would think you'd need a whole scaled up loader and hardware.
    Yes, you can reload them and yes, you do!
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.