UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: out of battery discharge.

out of battery discharge.

So was shooting gophers today with my closed bolt semi auto full size model A Uzi. Its a McKay. I was using some Fiochi 115gr, mainly just to get rid of. It doesnt run very well at all through the Uzi. Have run one 25 round mag through it before, with about five instances of it not ejecting properly, would always catch the spent shell against the frame.
    Started with a fresh magazine, the 3rd shot was the out of battery. Kinda exciting when it happens! The shots were successive, about one second intervals.
    The bullet made it out of the barrel, rifling looks excellent. Had a can on, no bits in it. Disassembled it, nothing abnormal. No brass chunks. It did have a spent shell caught in its teeth. The spent bubble gum shell I retrieved (was shooting from a vehicle, so was easy to find).

My right ear is still ringing. I think im just going to run ammo through it that doesnt jam from henceforth... maybe theres a reason the model B has a stop safety.
    Attached Images  

Out of battery discharge

More than 30 years ago, I had an OOB discharge in my Action Arm Model A semi auto Uzi, The ammo was some reloads used for range practice by a local PD. At first, the gun jammed with the bolt just barely out of battery. It would not fire by pulling the trigger. I was unable to open the bolt by hand, so I sat on the tailgate of my truck, which had a camper shell on it, and pointing the gun towards the hillside. When I tried to retract the bolt a second time, the gun fired. The sudden bolt movement made me move also. As a result, the 9mm LRN bullet went thru the window in the upward-opening door of the camper, blowing the window out, with no other damage to the truck. The case was bulged to the point of splitting. No damage to the gunner me. I've never had another problem with the gun and I still have it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I don't get how a semi could do that. Doesn't it have a moving firing pin?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    I've seen it with an SKS, but there is not firing pin spring in an SKS, semi uzi has a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by planner View Post
    More than 30 years ago, I had an OOB discharge in my Action Arm Model A semi auto Uzi, The ammo was some reloads used for range practice by a local PD. At first, the gun jammed with the bolt just barely out of battery. It would not fire by pulling the trigger. I was unable to open the bolt by hand, so I sat on the tailgate of my truck, which had a camper shell on it, and pointing the gun towards the hillside. When I tried to retract the bolt a second time, the gun fired. The sudden bolt movement made me move also. As a result, the 9mm LRN bullet went thru the window in the upward-opening door of the camper, blowing the window out, with no other damage to the truck. The case was bulged to the point of splitting. No damage to the gunner me. I've never had another problem with the gun and I still have it.
    Thats crazy, oob’s are never fun

Mine with suppressed m11 full auto, ears rang for a couple days, tapped the lodge bullet out with a steel rod, after the 2nd shot blew out the side, now i always safely check for lodged bullets after any abnormal firing problem

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Yes, but it has a striker. If the bolt stops shy of fully chambering a round the striker can still be released and then you get a KaBoom. Unlike most designs, the bolt in the semi has no interaction with the FCG like a disconnector that would stop it from firing unless fully closed. On the UZI the trigger travelling past a certain point in it's stroke releases the sear so it can pop back up and catch the striker for the next shot. That is the only "disconnect" function it has.

The model B introduced a little triangular stop on the back of the bolt that has to hit the back of the ejector to pivot it out of the way and allow the striker to travel far enough forward to set off a primer. This only happens when the bolt is fully forward so no out of battery, just a click if the round is not fully chambered.

UZI Talk Life Member
    That little piece I'm always bitchin' about when I'm reassembling after cleaning.

+ Reply to Thread