UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safety Selector difference?

Safety Selector difference?

So I just recently obtained my third FNC, and noticed that the selector was different than my first two. I wasn't aware there were multiple designs. I checked the "The ultimate info thread on the Belgian Army FNC M3 rifle, accessories, mods, details" and didn't see any particular mention as to when and why this was changed, nor do I know which is the earlier/later variants. any help would be appreciated. Pics to follow;
    My FNCs (from oldest to newest of ownership);

And a close up on their selectors (same order);

Not sure if it helps, but the receiver markings are different for the FNC with the different selector.

Mine is a Steyr import, but has the other selector.

Both my Howco's have different selectors. Early (like a FAL's but w/o a beak) and the mid teardrop. The late FNC selectors has a conical end on the right side.

Actually, there are several differences in the various models.
    From the Firearms Reference Data:

https://www.hkproshop.com/forums/thr...rence-data.33/

c) charging handles (HOWCO, early Steyr, Steyr/Gun South- Birmingham or Trussville- knurled 1-groove/bell-shaped at end @; Steyr, Steyr/Gun South Birmingham or Trussville, Gun South-Trussville- smooth 2-groove/bell-shaped at end @@; last- Dutch military rifle trials- smooth/straight with small raised lip at end)
    d) selector switches (HOWCO, early Steyr, Steyr/Gun South- Birmingham or Trussville- teardrop/semi-circular attachment pin/raised circular knob at end #; later Steyr, Steyr/Gun South- Birmingham or Trussville, Gun South- Trussville- teardrop/double circular attachment pin/raised elongated finger rest at end) ##
    e) left side rear sight disc (HOWCO, Steyr, Steyr/Gun South- Birmingham or Trussville- 8-hole (oxidized bluing) %; Gun South- Trussville- solid (full bluing) %%)

Tony

Hi all,

I think i wrote something about it but no big deal.

There are at least 6 types out there.
    Most common is the one on the left. It is also the oldest in use in the Belgian Army.
    So, both need a specific spring to work properly. If you replace the selector, you need the corresponding spring.

The old style is very tactical and you can switch is silently in 1 3 or A. You can see on the oposite site in what position it is. (if you are trained for)
    It is easy for an NCO to spot stupidity in the platoon.

The trial safety had even a double marking on the receiver and on the safety back end. I love that one.

The latest has that weird looking spring. The benefit is that is gives a clear "pling" when you operate it and it locks better in place. The older safety tended to wander around if the spring was lazy.

The new safety has a conical rear and, so you can not see from the other side if a safety is correct or not.
    If you are a civilian sporting shooter, i recommend the new style set.
    And if you need a set, ask member FUATOS.

Paco

It is noted in chapter3 part2 in"The ultimate info thread on the Belgian Army FNC M3 rifle, accessories, mods,"

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Hi all,

I think i wrote something about it but no big deal.

There are at least 6 types out there.
    Most common is the one on the left. It is also the oldest in use in the Belgian Army.
    So, both need a specific spring to work properly. If you replace the selector, you need the corresponding spring.

The old style is very tactical and you can switch is silently in 1 3 or A. You can see on the oposite site in what position it is. (if you are trained for)
    It is easy for an NCO to spot stupidity in the platoon.

The trial safety had even a double marking on the receiver and on the safety back end. I love that one.

The latest has that weird looking spring. The benefit is that is gives a clear "pling" when you operate it and it locks better in place. The older safety tended to wander around if the spring was lazy.

The new safety has a conical rear and, so you can not see from the other side if a safety is correct or not.
    If you are a civilian sporting shooter, i recommend the new style set.
    And if you need a set, ask member FUATOS.

Paco

Awesome tutorial, as usual.
    I was only referring to U.S. imports.

Tony

3 nice FNC BTW

Paco

Thanks all for the help!

+ Reply to Thread