UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UZI rear sight mod.

UZI rear sight mod.

Looking for a show of hands here.
    I want to open up my rear sight and have two options;
    Open up with a larger drill size or mill off the top half down to the existing pin hole center line.
    What say you all?

Semi or full? Semi retaining the peep would be my preference. Full, you lose sight picture once the music begins so turning it into essentially a "U" notch might be an improvement.

I would, and intend to, open the rear to more of a ghost ring. I purchased a few extra rear sights for this purpose.

UZI Talk Supporter

Will need a carbide drill, hss drill won't touch that sight opening.
    Class 3 shooters blow thier loads faster and with only 1 pull of the trigger

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    Will need a carbide drill, hss drill won't touch that sight opening.
    +1 use cutting oil too.

Semi, slimshady. On full you just point 'em like a garden hose and watch your point(s) of impact.

I'm a big fan of carbide and will even buy my own, bring it to the job then take my tooling home when done. That way, if a cutter or bit gets broken or dulled, I know exactly where to send the bill.

I've done peep sight mods before and even do a slight countersink on the side facing the target.
    Although you're not looking through a 'tube', that thinner section around the opening seems to improve the sight picture / accuracy.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I do not lose the site picture on FA. That being said, you do not have to use carbide. You can heat the site cherry red and just drill it out.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

I don't have the stability a stock / arm brace would give me and I usually just fire off-hand. Not like I'm doing bench rest competition shooting. I built my mini as a pistol to have fun with and for that, it does what I need it to.

Good point about the annealing the rear sight. I kinda tend to stay away from heating a part because re-tempering can be a headache. Small parts are usually just a heat, quench then reheat and quench to draw back the hardness so it's not brittle. On larger stuff, if you don't know how much heat saturation into the surrounding areas you're dealing with, you can end up with a Pringle potato chip.

If you are firing it at arms length like a "normal" pistol then the "notch" type cutoff sight would likely work best. Peep type sights tend to be best when close to the eye.

Good point, slimshady.
    I'm on the fence over peep vs notch. Since I patterned my Mini with USGI style markings, the military would likely have had folding stocks as part of the configuration and so a rear peep would be in order.
    If that doesn't work out, it's easy enough to just lop off the top down to the peep center line.

UZI Talk Life Member

Right Mike. I'm set up with the model B (rear windage adjustment) and have a spare coming from IWI.

Arenít the Uzi B sights a pretty big ring (much improved from the Model A)? Itís been a while since I shot one. If the sights arenít doing it for you, Iíd recommend mounting a red dot.

The rear aperture is a little bigger, fortyfive. Looks like major difference between the "A" and "B" rear sights is that the B's have screw threads for a windage adjustment. That did away with the offset front post and its front sight adjusting tool.
    I further simplified matters by replacing the rear knob with a knurled one allowing the shooter to make windage adjustments without the 'key'. The key is still needed for front sight elevation adjustments
    but it's a lot less cumbersome and fits in the cleaning kit box.
    Last edited by Jones; 10-06-2021 at 12:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread