UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 45 acp ammo in an Uzi

45 acp ammo in an Uzi

I got a full auto Uzi in .45 acp. At the first test firing, it would not fire (in semi or full auto) when there were more than 6 rounds in the magazine. The unfired rounds that were manually ejected all had light primer strikes. I was thinking it would be a magazine issue.
    So I got a 22 round aftermarket magazine which arrived today which I haven't test fired yet. However loading .45 FMJ round nose into it I noticed that it was a tight fit for the overall length of the cartridge, and sometimes the rounds would get stuck in the magazine. These are Federal 230 grain round nose and the OAL is measured at 32.12 mm (1.265 in). The inside of the magazine measures 32.56 mm (1.282 in).

I am wondering if the problem is that the 45 Uzi isn't designed to handle round nose ammunition. The hollowpoints or flat nose would be a bit shorter. Or is there another brand of Round Nose that runs a bit shorter?

I haven't yet been able to test fit the same ammo in the magazine that came with the gun since the FFL is still holding it pending Class III approval.

I have not any problem shooting regular, round nose 230 gr. .45 ACP ammo from Federal or Remington with the Vector .45 ACP setup I have. The firearm is a Vector full size Uzi. The mags I have are 16 round IMI mags. I've never tried any other ammo profile.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
    MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

thanks. I have an IMI 16 round mag on the way and will test fire it with several different 45 acps when it arrives.

All I have is semi-auto, but the promag magazine works fine.

Since you are full auto and light bolt strike......
    Fixed firing pin OK?

I have a IMI UZI in .45, never a issue. Light primer strike, make sure your barrel is in right and the barrel nut is tight! I don't know if your firearm is original or not but on the non NFA UZI's have the last three numbers of the SN#stamped on the barrel. Head spacing maybe be off. That would let the round go to deep into the bore and not hold the case against the bolt face

UZI Talk Supporter

Make sure the area behind the extractor is clean and free of carbon.
    Class 3 shooters blow thier loads faster and with only 1 pull of the trigger

UZI Talk Life Member
    When Vector sold the .45 SMG kits for 200 I should have got one
    Vector UZI SMG

+ Reply to Thread