UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 380 Zmag (small magwell) feeding problem?

380 Zmag (small magwell) feeding problem?

EDIT: Mags were bought from FTF, not zmag my apologies

Hi yall, I bought 3 of the small magwell 380 mags from FTF a while back (last May) but never got the chance to try them out until now as I recently got a Lage M11A1 upper for my RPB M11.

The followers on all three bind up regularly and I have to smack the mag base 7-10 times per mag to get it to feed. This happens with steel case and brass case ammo, with both the stock and Lage uppers. I knew these mags wouldn't be around for long so bought em when I could last year, but I'm really disappointed after this range trip. I tried loading/unloading them manually a bunch of times over the last week trying to wear them in, but it doesn't appear to have helped.

Anyone else have this issue and know how to solve it? The followers look pretty smooth to me, so other than the magazine finish being kinda rough and the spring not terribly strong (just like the stock mags afaik), I'm not sure what the root of the issue is or how to solve it. I've kept the inside of the mag clean and dry as I've always been taught to do, but maybe I should grease it up? Maybe I was raised wrong, but I'm loathe to do that.

Appreciate any help or advice you can give! I absolutely love the Lage M11A1 upper btw. Design and build are top notch.
    Last edited by MedBro; 10-02-2021 at 08:59 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I wasn’t even aware of a small zmag? I know the oem factory small magwell mags go for a pretty good price, but they seem to work well.

Hold on, let me eat crow for a minute, I remembered these as being Zmags but apparently I have dementia
    I bought them from FTF

--edit--
    Also, I bought several S-31 mags from Zmag around the same time and also just got to try them out at the same range trip, they are fantastic. I just got everything confused in my head. Again, my sincerest apologies

UZI Talk Life Member

Have you tried graphite to lube the inside of the mags?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I left my review here.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm having the same problem!

If the inside of the mag is roughly finished, I would find a piece of wood or flat steel that fits inside and spans the whole width of one side, glue some 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper to it, and sand it smooth. Finish up with the paper and some oil. Follower should slide much smoother.

Any grease or heavy lube inside will just attract and trap grit, all you want is enough oil to keep it from rusting.

I’ve experienced this, too.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I gotta say, for a $70 mag, And especially for one that I had customized, I'm pretty irritated.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I had a great day with the MAC 380 SMG and CFW A Bolt this morning. Once you get the FTF 380 mags running well, they are a HOOT2SHOOT!

We usually start the day with 300+ rounds, about 10 mags. I've been using the "Ranch Dog" 100 grain flat point bullets that I cast and powder coat. They have been feeding really well in the M11/380. The barrel and A bolt are supper easy to clean, unlike the cast bolt and FMJ ammo. The A Bolt is supper soft shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed. The cast and CNC OEM bolts feel almost violent in the gun since I've been using the CFW bolt. I suspect the A Bolt will create less wear on the lower in the long run.

I may end up ordering more FTF mags. I wish the mag springs were not so stiff and they could make followers that permit 32-33 rounds like the OEM. Loading the mags and leaving in the safe for a week helps with the stiff springs.

I also lost a bid on GB for OEM mags this week for the same price as the FTF mags. I'm always looking to buy OEM "Cobray" marked mags.
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-05-2021 at 07:40 AM.

I have several of the FTF magazines and they are a combination of the blued ones and the parked ones. I had my M11A1 at the range today and it worked perfectly with the mags using the Baby Ghost upper but I couldn't get the Lage .380 upper to feed. I don't think that was actually a magazine problem since they worked perfectly with the Baby Ghost.

The M11A1 also ran like a top with the Max 31k but of course that has its own magwell so that was expected. So, I was 66% successful.

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    I had a great day with the MAC 380 SMG and CFW A Bolt this morning. Once you get the FTF 380 mags running well, they are a HOOT2SHOOT!

We usually start the day with 300+ rounds, about 10 mags. I've been using the "Ranch Dog" 100 grain flat point bullets that I cast and powder coat. They have been feeding really well in the M11/380. The barrel and A bolt are supper easy to clean, unlike the cast bolt and FMJ ammo. The A Bolt is supper soft shooting but suppressed and unsuppressed. I'm surprised how violent the OEM bolt feels on the gun. I suspect the A Bolt has less wear on the lower.

I may end up ordering more FTF mags. I wish the mag springs were not so stiff and they could make followers that permit 32-33 rounds like the OEM.

I also lost a bid on GB for OEM mags this week for the same price as the FTF mags. I'm always looking to buy OEM "Cobray" marked mags.
    Got any tips on how to get them running well?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would start at sanding the sides or followers if they are sticking. If that doesn't work, send them back. FTF needs to know about it.

I still think they should not weld the back seems together. It makes the tubes too small.
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-05-2021 at 07:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread