UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online gun purchase

UZI Talk Life Member

Online gun purchase

I found something from a contact I don’t know that I want. I asked for a pic showing he has it ie a pic with a recent headline or with his license and the item but he says he doesn’t have a smartphone to take a pic. He’s old but seems fishy any ideas? It’s not for sale on a site but was a reference from someone who knows him from strungewehr. Also he’s asking electronic payment only. I don’t have experience doing this. Any advice? Seems like a good deal which worries me.

No "proof of life" pix = no deal.
    If he doesn't have a smart phone,he knows someone who does. His excuse is pure bullshit.

UZI Talk Life Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Too bad cause it would be a good deal.

UZI Talk Supporter

I am also going with fishy. No smart phone, but he does electronic payment? I don't have a smart phone either, but I have a digital camera, but like yourself, don't do e-payments. Does not make sense to me. I would pass. Speaking as both a buyer and seller, this forum has taught me the value of sending money order through the mail. At least you have chance of getting the Postal Inspectors to take the case if it is a rip off. I would be very reluctant to buy or sell without something going via the snail mail.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I always use a payment that can be refunded to me, money orders only for small purchases or verified people with large positive feedback.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Too bad cause it would be a good deal.
    The trap... it would be a good/great deal.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Doesn't have a smartphone but wants electronic payment? Fishy. Spend $20 for him to go to the nearest registered FFL and have the FFL confirm the item. I've done that before.
    Check out my Youtube channel

If the deal is too god to be true, then it's not true ...

Dieter

UZI Talk Life Member

FWIW, I've posted 'Want to Buy XX' ads online and every time I get emails that are always 'Call Mike in Michigan, xxx-xxx-xxxx; he has want you want at a good price'. The names and numbers are different but it's a scam. I know that as a few years back the first time I responded via text I ran into non-responses to my questions and of course no pics of the item with my cell # written on a piece of paper next to it.

Send this cat a text and see if it responds to you that it is a landline. If it goes through....well....
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Once I listed an custom AR-10 + 5- 20 rd mags, a Leupold MK IV scope and many accessories for only the price of the scope + $200 and had no responses. The guy that eventually bought it was afraid to send the money. When he received the package, he contacted me to say the all his friends thought he was a sucker. He had the last laugh. Sometimes taking a chance pays off. Trust but verify.

UZI Talk Supporter

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    Once I listed an custom AR-10 + 5- 20 rd mags, a Leupold MK IV scope and many accessories for only the price of the scope + $200 and had no responses. The guy that eventually bought it was afraid to send the money. When he received the package, he contacted me to say the all his friends thought he was a sucker. He had the last laugh. Sometimes taking a chance pays off. Trust but verify.

Do you have any scoped Macs for sale?

UZI Talk Life Member

Yeah this was like that. A guy knew a guy that had what I want. This had to be a scam. I finally said I don’t think you have this item and then it was radio silence. I guess that’s a common way to scam cause I have had this happen twice from wtb ads on strumgewehr.

I'm pretty sure people use dummy online ads to set a local sale price. They get low balled by a local wanna be buyer, so the seller posts an online ad. Seller gets a "I'll take it" which the seller puts in front of the low baller who caves. Seller ghosts the would be online buyer.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Lots of scamming these days. I had someone offer to buy a gun off GB “offline” and they sent a check- the check was more than the selling price. Then they emailed and asked me to mail the excess funds back. Of course this is the old check cash scam so I played along- I went to the post office and mailed an empty envelope to the local police station with tracking, and sent the scammer the tracking number so when they went to retrieve the check, they ended up at the police station. Whew the next email was full of cussing etc so I let them know they’re awful at fraud and if they want to make it work, they need to find a real gangster and get some life lessons. Surprisingly, they emailed me back and asked me to teach them- but I work in finance so I had to decline.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Ha, funny stuff.......I like to string them along with stuff like - I had to work late, I'll send a check in the morning.....then say, I got the flue and will be in bed for a few days....then, I have to go out of town but I'll take care of it as soon as I get back (4 days) - then after all that (and lots of messages from them asking me if I sent the $) and after a week or more goes by I tell them to fuck off. I find it easy to recognize they're scams. Guess I'm lucky.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Oh yes- this was after stringing this guy out for almost two weeks before I made it to the post office.

https://youtu.be/W1GB7p7UKxc

UZI Talk Supporter
    That is TOOOOO funny. Haaaa.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Check out the book “the professional thief” - it explores a lot of these scams and their origins from an inside perspective. Great read for those interested in the psychology of scammers!

UZI Talk Life Member

Well I hope my close call can help the next one. I feel stupid and vindicated at the same time. Don’t compromise with pics and hope for the best. This guy sent me “his” drivers license to prove he had the gun. License pic without the gun. Anyway I’ve beat this horse to death. Just be aware of course. I’m just new to buying from non manufacturers. Prob won’t do again without 6 forms of ID. Be careful. Thx for help

I've made 2 relatively high $$ purchases in which got an unusual proof-of-life.
    One guy sent me a short video of himself, the rifle and his dog. Narrated the whole way with regards to the sale, very funny and obviously genuine.
    The other guy sent me a picture of the shotgun propped up in front of the TV with that evening's NFL game playing.
    Not exactly the usual gun on top of today's paper pix.

+ Reply to Thread