UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Group Industries fail to fire - Semi Auto

Group Industries fail to fire - Semi Auto

Hi Yall... First Uzi and first post.
    I am collecting all the childhood firearms and knives that I wanted to buy in the 80's. Now I am in my 50s and I can afford them.

I recently bought a Semi Auto Group Industries that is like new. Now I know the reason... it will not fire. It doesn't look like it has any missing teeth on the barrel nut. they feel sharp I did notice one is bent a bit. I feel very slight play in the barrel. The firing pin doesn't look broken at all. But it is not touching the primers.

What do I do next?
    Take it back and demand my money back?
    Measure the firing pin length?
    The trunnion looks tight against the receiver so the welds are not broken.
    What else could it be?

excessive head space?

Is this from the "out of spec" group industries receiver?

I have built, ARs, AKMs, Milled AKs, and a 1911 --- so I think i should be able to sort it out.

What diagnosis tract do I follow?
    Thanks
    Aaron

Take the top cover off and push the bolt back and see if the striker locks back. If it does pull the trigger to see if it will go foreword. Keep in mind that the bolt may want to come out of the receiver while doing this. I had to do this a few times on difference receivers to find out why the bolt was locking back. My problem was an out of spec blocking bar on the century arms uc9.

Thank you.

UZI Talk Life Member

You should have no play in the barrel. Make sure the barrel nut is tight. Pull back on the barrel retaining catch and torque the nut tight. The barrel may not be sitting back far enough for the firing pin to hit the primer.

Does your striker release when you pull the trigger?

Sunday is my biggest work day. I'll check tomorrow.

OK, I pulled the trigger over and over and finally it catches and I hear the striker fall on like the 7th or 8th pull... So it isn't grabbing the striker except on occasion. What is next?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I wonder at some point before you acquired it the lower parts were taken out and put back together wrong, their are pics in the library to check and see if everything looks
    correct.

remove the recoil spring and the firing pin spring and operate all the internals with your hand with the top cover removed. Hold the bolt back and slightly down with a few fingers and with the other free finders try to push the striker forward as you pull the trigger. I will try to get a video example....just need to find a third hand to hold my camera.

Just out of curiosity, is it actually a Group Industries gun (which would likely have green furniture) or a Vector gun built on a Group receiver?

I’ve read that Group Industries made bolts had issues. On a side note after I received my Vector back after repair with a new bolt that simply didn’t work in the gun. I got a new one from US Barrel Shrouds and it fixed my issue.

That being said, it sounds like yours has a FCG issue like others mentioned.

I haven't had time to mess with it. Over the weekend I tore it down and examined it. Couldn't see much wrong. Today i was at home for 45 minutes. I shot it three tomes off my back deck. We are in town so i stopped with three. Took it out in the country and shot the other 29 rounds. I guess it was either assembled wrong or the FCG was gummed up and playing with it loosened it up. Anyway, runs good now... yes its a group industries green furniture gun. Not vector
    Aaron

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'm glad it's working now, thanks for the update even though the initial problem is unknown.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Welcome!
    Semi Uzis are a lot of fun.

+ Reply to Thread