$vboptions[bbtitle]
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Market check, best nightstand 9mm?

UZI Talk Supporter

Market check, best nightstand 9mm?

Looking for something short that is hearing safe with 147 gr 9mm and also full auto rated. I have a Bowers VERS-9S that I use for subgun shooting, but would like a lightweight and shorter option for home defense pistol use. that could also be used in full auto just because.

Was looking at the Omega 9k because it checks these boxes, but it's a few years old now and was hoping to get opinions on if it's been surpassed or if it is still a top option you'd recommend.

Things that would be great to know if there's another similar option for less, an option that's same weight and higher performance, or something more modular with similar weight and performance.
    Check out my Youtube channel

Being for a nightstand gun, I'd be more concerned about checking the hearing safe box than the full-auto box. I'm a big proponent of DIY, so I'd suggest a form 1 Quietbore 45 kit drilled out to 9mm (you can ask them to send the 9mm guide for the drilling jig.) Even drilled for 45, I've found it comfortable on the ears with 147gr 9mm outside. Wouldn't run FA through it, being mostly aluminum.

To meet all your criteria, though, Rugged's Obsidian9 would probably fit the bill. It can be run in a long or short config too, to dial in the weight to your liking.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have an Omega 9k, been very happy with it for the size. Might see if someone has tried a YHM R9, claims to be quieter, and much cheaper. It is a bit larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropsith View Post
    Being for a nightstand gun, I'd be more concerned about checking the hearing safe box than the full-auto box.
    First thought to my mind as well. Something compact and quiet could be filled by the Gemtech Aurora 2. Very light & compact package, and good performance. Downside is that it is a wiped can, which can introduce complications once the wipes are worn out.

https://www.silencershop.com/gemtech-aurora.html

UZI Talk Life Member
    Octane 9 is hard to beat.

I just sent mine in for an upgrade to the removable blast baffle, and I melted/eroded the leading edges on 2 of the baffles from full auto abuse.

They put in all new baffles, new end cap, new birdcage, and upgraded the blast baffle.

Mailed it back to me overnight after a two day turn around and charged ZERO! No cost! They also replaced a damaged baffle on a SpectreII (my fault) same time no cost.

Silencerco is a stand up company. I’m getting my next rifle can from them definitely.
    Last edited by Hey...; 10-18-2021 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Splelling

CGS Mod 9sk

The Mod 9/Kraken is hands down the best 9mm pistol can on the market, the sk isn't far behind in suppression in a much smaller package. Not FA rated so not a do everything can but it sounds like you have the rest covered.

UZI Talk Life Member

Seems like 'Homeowner defends family with machine gun and avoids arrest and legal problems' is a headline I doubt will ever be written...

If size is a consideration, maybe take-your-pick of a polymer never-fail 9mm and add a Streamlight light / laser.

Otherwise a suppressed version of the same.

I keep a Walther PDP with laser / light that fits in a hollowed-out book on the nightstand.

In the closet on hooks over the top door jamb is a Mossberg 590.

I can't personally see any reason for FA.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Not considering FA Scott, just want a multi purpose can as I bought a semi only .22 can and regret it.
    Check out my Youtube channel

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Not considering FA Scott, just want a multi purpose can as I bought a semi only .22 can and regret it.
    I misunderstood.

I have a Griffin Rev 9 that is modular; I could remove the short section, it's 9mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN6eop1gczo
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    John Lovell of YouTube's Warrior Poet Society, also a former member of the US Army's 175th Ranger Battalion, makes the argument that he does not want a silencer on a Home Defense firearm because:
    1) if he has to use it, the neighbors will hear the shot(s) and call 911. This may or may not be a consideration in all cases. If you live far enough away from neighbors, they may not hear anything.
    2) He postulates that the noise of a discharge, especially from a Shotgun or Rifle, may scare multiple invaders. (He said something like I want them to feel like the gates of hell are opening up in front of them.)

+ Reply to Thread