$vboptions[bbtitle]
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Market check, best nightstand 9mm?

UZI Talk Supporter

Market check, best nightstand 9mm?

Looking for something short that is hearing safe with 147 gr 9mm and also full auto rated. I have a Bowers VERS-9S that I use for subgun shooting, but would like a lightweight and shorter option for home defense pistol use. that could also be used in full auto just because.

Was looking at the Omega 9k because it checks these boxes, but it's a few years old now and was hoping to get opinions on if it's been surpassed or if it is still a top option you'd recommend.

Things that would be great to know if there's another similar option for less, an option that's same weight and higher performance, or something more modular with similar weight and performance.
    Check out my Youtube channel

Being for a nightstand gun, I'd be more concerned about checking the hearing safe box than the full-auto box. I'm a big proponent of DIY, so I'd suggest a form 1 Quietbore 45 kit drilled out to 9mm (you can ask them to send the 9mm guide for the drilling jig.) Even drilled for 45, I've found it comfortable on the ears with 147gr 9mm outside. Wouldn't run FA through it, being mostly aluminum.

To meet all your criteria, though, Rugged's Obsidian9 would probably fit the bill. It can be run in a long or short config too, to dial in the weight to your liking.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have an Omega 9k, been very happy with it for the size. Might see if someone has tried a YHM R9, claims to be quieter, and much cheaper. It is a bit larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropsith View Post
    Being for a nightstand gun, I'd be more concerned about checking the hearing safe box than the full-auto box.
    First thought to my mind as well. Something compact and quiet could be filled by the Gemtech Aurora 2. Very light & compact package, and good performance. Downside is that it is a wiped can, which can introduce complications once the wipes are worn out.

https://www.silencershop.com/gemtech-aurora.html

UZI Talk Life Member
    Octane 9 is hard to beat.

I just sent mine in for an upgrade to the removable blast baffle, and I melted/eroded the leading edges on 2 of the baffles from full auto abuse.

They put in all new baffles, new end cap, new birdcage, and upgraded the blast baffle.

Mailed it back to me overnight after a two day turn around and charged ZERO! No cost! They also replaced a damaged baffle on a SpectreII (my fault) same time no cost.

Silencerco is a stand up company. I’m getting my next rifle can from them definitely.
    Last edited by Hey...; 10-18-2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Splelling

CGS Mod 9sk

The Mod 9/Kraken is hands down the best 9mm pistol can on the market, the sk isn't far behind in suppression in a much smaller package. Not FA rated so not a do everything can but it sounds like you have the rest covered.

UZI Talk Life Member

Seems like 'Homeowner defends family with machine gun and avoids arrest and legal problems' is a headline I doubt will ever be written...

If size is a consideration, maybe take-your-pick of a polymer never-fail 9mm and add a Streamlight light / laser.

Otherwise a suppressed version of the same.

I keep a Walther PDP with laser / light that fits in a hollowed-out book on the nightstand.

In the closet on hooks over the top door jamb is a Mossberg 590.

I can't personally see any reason for FA.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Not considering FA Scott, just want a multi purpose can as I bought a semi only .22 can and regret it.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Not considering FA Scott, just want a multi purpose can as I bought a semi only .22 can and regret it.
    I misunderstood.

I have a Griffin Rev 9 that is modular; I could remove the short section, it's 9mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN6eop1gczo
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    John Lovell of YouTube's Warrior Poet Society, also a former member of the US Army's 175th Ranger Battalion, makes the argument that he does not want a silencer on a Home Defense firearm because:
    1) if he has to use it, the neighbors will hear the shot(s) and call 911. This may or may not be a consideration in all cases. If you live far enough away from neighbors, they may not hear anything.
    2) He postulates that the noise of a discharge, especially from a Shotgun or Rifle, may scare multiple invaders. (He said something like I want them to feel like the gates of hell are opening up in front of them.)

UZI Talk Supporter
    I don't want to loose my hearing. I shot recently beside a berm without hearing protection on on accident and it was incredibly loud. That was outside with 10 ft separating me from the berm. I don't see how you could shoot in a hallway and not get hearing damage. I also don't buy into using guns as a deterrent. If I aim it at them they really are facing the gates of hell or heaven to the best of my ability. I'm defending the top of the stairs, and if a bad guy slumping down the stairs isn't enough to scare them off I don't know what is.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Well, I guess I will chime in. Personally I would not and do not use a suppressor on any type of defensive handgun for a multitude of reasons.
    1, makes the pistol much larger and cumbersome
    2, introduces something else mechanical into the equation
    3, I shoot a centerfire handgun much better without a suppressor.
    4, IF I am forced to shoot indoors, hearing loss is the least of my worries and is a 100% non issue to me.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Supporter
    A good many years ago, I fired an unsuppressed .45ACP inside an enclosed room that was approx 12'16'. The shot didn't sound loud, but I felt a lot of pressure in my ears, followed by a loud ringing sound. Took a week or so for my hearing to return to normal.

My thoughts are that muzzle blast in a self defense situation won't be very noticeable... Too much other shit going on all at once. After the fact may be a different story, and hope to fuck I never have to find that out. Be that as it may, I can vouch for the fact that you want ears on if you're using an AR or other major caliber... Between mags, on a hot day I once forgot my muffs and let off a 3 round burst of 5.56 (outdoors) which taught me a valuable lesson. I was wearing hearing aids at the time too which probably didn't help things.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chili17 View Post
    Well, I guess I will chime in. Personally I would not and do not use a suppressor on any type of defensive handgun for a multitude of reasons.
    4, IF I am forced to shoot indoors, hearing loss is the least of my worries and is a 100% non issue to me.
    +1

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    My thoughts are that muzzle blast in a self defense situation won't be very noticeable... Too much other shit going on all at once. After the fact may be a different story, and hope to fuck I never have to find that out. Be that as it may, I can vouch for the fact that you want ears on if you're using an AR or other major caliber... Between mags, on a hot day I once forgot my muffs and let off a 3 round burst of 5.56 (outdoors) which taught me a valuable lesson. I was wearing hearing aids at the time too which probably didn't help things.
    +1, I don't want to get into the details here but I had to use a pistol in self defense situation several years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday and seeing things happen in slow motion and also thinking about the consequences. Lastly, before I squeezed the trigger I was thinking that this is going to be loud. I fired two rounds from a Khar PM9. Of course no hearing protection. To my surprise, 'auditory exclusion' kicked in and my ears weren't even ringing. I never heard of that term when this happened to me. Years later, I saw this video discussing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAq3OCY6I1k

UZI Talk Supporter
    Well whatda I know. Guess y'all gave me something to think about.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amphibian View Post
    +1, I don't want to get into the details here but I had to use a pistol in self defense situation several years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday and seeing things happen in slow motion and also thinking about the consequences. Lastly, before I squeezed the trigger I was thinking that this is going to be loud. I fired two rounds from a Khar PM9. Of course no hearing protection. To my surprise, 'auditory exclusion' kicked in and my ears weren't even ringing. I never heard of that term when this happened to me. Years later, I saw this video discussing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAq3OCY6I1k
    Yup, I have fired centerfire rounds indoors without hearing protection and my ears never rang. I mean I knew it was loud, but did not rattle me. I shot a pig last weekend (outdoors) with a centerfire rifle and my ears never rang. Both times I was to concentrated on what I was doing to notice. I have heard several SF guys talk about 'auditory exclusion' before and just presume that is what happened.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chili17 View Post
    +2
    plain old Kimber in the nightstand (because I shoot it very well) and a shotgun in the closet just because.
    I feel a quality (but smaller) flashlight you keep with your HD gun (if not attached) is equally as important.

ETA: to answer your question, I have an octane 9 I'm quite happy with. havent used it on the m11/9 but like it on my pistols.
    Last edited by BuffDragon; 02-04-2022 at 09:30 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I keep an unsuppressed 9mm handy around, but I also keep a suppressed .22 near the back door. I have used it to keep pests out of my chickens coop or garden. If I was defending myself I wouldn’t care how loud things got, if I’m shooting a squirrel or possum I would prefer not to bother the neighbors.

+ Reply to Thread