UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Chronographs requested

UZI Talk Life Member

Recommendations for Chronographs requested

I guess it's time I had a chronograph and am looking for recommendations for good ones and / or warnings for ones to avoid.

I really see no reason to spend more than $200 on one of these.

Suggestions?
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have no 1st hand experience with them but this might help you Scott

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/b...hings-to-know/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffshot View Post
    Not to jack Scott's post... so to get the ROF/Rounds Per Minute for SMG fire... you must have that Sky Screen set up? Like Scott alluded to... that $200... PACT IV thing... can't do it by itself? = needs that Sky Screen thing? Also... the PACT IV (?) is only good for 600 RPM data... ? I'm confused about all this and the internet just don't have a lot of info. about this? Again, just to get a SMG firing rate data... Thanks!

UZI Talk Life Member

I'm not looking for a fine watch...but something that tells me what my bullet speed is.

There are barrel mounted units that are appealing but aren't usable with handguns.

Reviews for these things tend to be positive but about 5-10% say 'this thing is junk and I had to trash it after 2 weeks etc. etc.'.

So far I'm leaning toward the Competition Electronics unit...thanks for that.

I would recommend this one. Easy setup and you can use it in adverse lighting conditions.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwel...g2-720002.html

Given that accidents do happen, you want one with as little downrange equipment as possible. Screens are cheap to replace, the electronic package is not
    I like Shooting Chrony but I understand the company is no longer in business

Fudge... unit is not a handheld device only... must have that sky screen part as well :-(

UZI Talk Life Member
    -X-
    Last edited by Z06; 11-06-2021 at 10:17 AM. Reason: item sold
    Old Arizona saying: "A rattlesnake in the house ends all talk about animal rights!"

Quote Originally Posted by Galil#1 View Post
    Not to jack Scott's post... so to get the ROF/Rounds Per Minute for SMG fire... you must have that Sky Screen set up? Like Scott alluded to... that $200... PACT IV thing... can't do it by itself? = needs that Sky Screen thing? Also... the PACT IV (?) is only good for 600 RPM data... ? I'm confused about all this and the internet just don't have a lot of info. about this? Again, just to get a SMG firing rate data... Thanks!
    I use the $200ish PACT Mk IV XPS for machine gun ROF measurements. Sky screen not need/used for ROF; but is needed for projectile velocity, i.e., chronograph measurements. I don't have sky screens. A microphone in the timer box picks up the noise pulses of the gunfire and when the string of shots stops, calculates the ROF based on the number of pulses captured and total time of the pulse string. I don't have one, but an alternative similar product that gets mentioned is Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II Timer.
    With respect to the 600 RPM limit, I have regularly measured over 1200 with .22LR set ups; but an M11-380 with standard steel bolt had a ROF (probably 1400 or more) that was too fast for the unit to capture all the pulses. The unit would capture and count 1/2 to 2/3 of the total rounds actually fired. Similarly, suppressed shots of the calibers I've tried (.22, 5.56, 9mm, .380) were all hit and miss capture if any, so the data was worthless, and I don't bother trying to get suppressed ROF data anymore.
    MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

UZI Talk Supporter

I really like the Magnetospeed Sporter that attaches to a rifle barrel. Been very happy with it.

I have a Caldwell that I used for years, I think it was the cheaper model. Sometimes it works great, other times temperamental as hell.

2A You Rock!
    Very interesting, so if I understand correctly.... worked best with .22lr only? Be interested for a M10 9mm SMG...
    Thank you all for the info.
    Scott, what you interested in, making work for you?

UZI Talk Life Member

I need a chrono that works for .308 / 5.56 and .38/.357 Mag revolver rounds. That eliminates the barrel-mounted devices.

Given I have to use public ranges, minimizing stuff that has to be set up and fiddled with forward of the muzzle (like power cords) is not optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    I need a chrono that works for .308 / 5.56 and .38/.357 Mag revolver rounds. That eliminates the barrel-mounted devices.

Given I have to use public ranges, minimizing stuff that has to be set up and fiddled with forward of the muzzle (like power cords) is not optimum.
    Recken semi auto stuff is easy ish; however., full auto be a challenge, especially in public range if others blasting away same time ...

Been using the PACT MK IV for many years and am happy with it. For suppressed use, you have to position the unit close to the end of the can in order to get reliable info. On the other end of the scale, if you are shooting at a covered firing line with safety baffles, the microphone will pick up echoes of the muzzle blast and give you twice the cyclic rate you actually have so there are a few tricks to using it.

2A You Rock!
    Very interesting, so if I understand correctly.... worked best with .22lr only? Be interested for a M10 9mm SMG...
    Thank you all for the info.
    In my test runs, the PACT Timer wouldn't capture all, only some, of the rounds fired for any of the suppressed shooting (the suppressors that were used are all pretty quiet) or for the extremely rapid M11-380 shooting. All other tests were okay. I was testing with the PACT mounted on a tripod, level with and about 2 1/2 to 3 feet to the right of the muzzle. The positioning was done so as to avoid empty casings from hitting the Timer. The Timer was positioned on the tripod with the readout up and the microphone facing the muzzle. The Echo factor was set at 6 for most of the center fire testing and 2 for most of the .22 testing. All testing was done outdoors without any other shooters around.
    If you look at videos of subgun competitions, the Range Officer/Time Keeper is usually very close to the shooter to ensure that all the rounds and times are accurately captured.
    Best of luck.
    Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
    MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by DINK View Post
    Been using the PACT MK IV for many years and am happy with it. For suppressed use, you have to position the unit close to the end of the can in order to get reliable info. On the other end of the scale, if you are shooting at a covered firing line with safety baffles, the microphone will pick up echoes of the muzzle blast and give you twice the cyclic rate you actually have so there are a few tricks to using it.
    Great info, for sure this unit can be accurate above 600 RPM right? Thank you D!

Been looking at a chronograph purchase for a while now, it seems the ones with remote-mounted sensors are at least twice the money as a comparable single piece unit. Has anybody seen any one piece units modded to take external sensors? It seems to me you could 3D print some sensor housings that mount onto a piece of electrical conduit for about a quarter each. Add some hardware, install the sensors from the unit and buy a roll of shielded wire and some connectors. Add maybe $20 to the cost.

I have seen way too many all in one units with bullet holes in them to trust my aim to one! Blow one up and buy a replacement, you are at the point where the remote mount one would have been worth the extra cost. Blow up the second one... The Oehler replacement sensor units are like $50 each for the whole thing, or under $20 for the housing in case you get lucky and miss the sensor inside the housing. I assume the Oehler housings would be easily 3D printed for the quarter if a file was made.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Are we talking chronograph or shot timers?
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Great info, for sure this unit can be accurate above 600 RPM right? Thank you D!
    Absolutely. I have timed many MACs and other high-RPM guns with cyclic rates over 1,000 RPM.

And the PACT is both a shot timer and a chronograph if you add the optional sky screens.

+ Reply to Thread