UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Recommendations for Chronographs requested

  1. #21
    UZI Talk Supporter

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    300
    Based on what you have said one of the radar unit would be best. From what I understand they set up quick, no sky screens, but there might be interference from other shooter's bullets and they are not cheap. I have a PACT unit which is several years old. I was very happy with their stand alon Chrono, but the shot timer Chrono unit has been a pain in the butt for me. I have sent it back a number of times for bad Chrono readings and the start button going bad. Part of my problem is my gun club's lay out means I really can not run the Chrono unit the afternoon. I have had a Chrono for years. I don't pull it out often any more, but I can not imagine working up new loads with out one. I also can not image practicing any type of defense or competition drills with out a shot timer.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    395
    Interesting, good information thank you guys!

  3. #23
    UZI Talk Supporter

    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    239
    Has anybody heard anything about the Caldwell Velociradar? Seems its supposed to be a cheaper or less expensive version of the Labradar... seeing it on some stores websites in the $300 range, all show out of stock, from my searches apparently at one point it was on Caldwells website (did not use the wayback machine to check) seen some mentions of it on other forums from last year and the beginning of this year. Which me personally, I really like the idea of the Labradar, but with this paycheck I wouldnt choke up $600 for one, $300 might be a possibility IF it actually is a comparison...

  4. #24
    UZI Talk Supporter

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    142
    It doesn't meet Scott's price criteria, but I love the labradar. As mentioned, not having anything down range to set up or adjust is really really nice if shooting in public. Also nothing to hit, coming from a guy who killed two cheap chronos (and tons of screens) with errant wads over about a 15 year period despite shielding. I also like that it can give velocity at various ranges. Mine will usually pick up rifle bullets at 10, 25, 50, and 75 yards.

    They've got a pretty narrow beam so I've never had an issue picking up an adjacent shooter's bullets. They do eat batteries and don't work in blowing snow though.

    I've used a Pact shot timer but it doesn't seem to like really high rates of fire and has difficulty with suppressors. The best luck I've had there is to use a camera and then look at a known say 10 round burst (or 11 to make the math easy) in video editing software to get the time hacks from the audio spikes.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    395
    Rob, nice and creative... Seems the Labradar for ultimate ease/function, the high dollar Win = ya get what you pay for indeed. Be worth to save up IMHO, will do. Thanks again to Everyone!

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1928 View Post
    It doesn't meet Scott's price criteria, but I love the labradar. As mentioned, not having anything down range to set up or adjust is really really nice if shooting in public. Also nothing to hit, coming from a guy who killed two cheap chronos (and tons of screens) with errant wads over about a 15 year period despite shielding. I also like that it can give velocity at various ranges. Mine will usually pick up rifle bullets at 10, 25, 50, and 75 yards.

    They've got a pretty narrow beam so I've never had an issue picking up an adjacent shooter's bullets. They do eat batteries and don't work in blowing snow though.

    I've used a Pact shot timer but it doesn't seem to like really high rates of fire and has difficulty with suppressors. The best luck I've had there is to use a camera and then look at a known say 10 round burst (or 11 to make the math easy) in video editing software to get the time hacks from the audio spikes.
    IIRC, about a hundred years ago the chronographs had you shoot through and break two wires a known distance apart, and the blips from a pen recorder on a strip chart with a known feed rate were used to get the velocity.
    For ROF, microphone signal pen recorder blips on a strip chart with a known feed rate were used. Pretty much the same as the audio signal with the video editing software process.
    MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

  7. #27
    UZI Talk Supporter

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    369
    I just got a Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX and will be reviewing it on my Youtube Channel.

    I did the cheap Caldwell thing for a number of years and for the most part it worked pretty good over the years. But in the end it got a bit tatty and was falling apart so time for something new.

    I have the Magnetospeed for rifles and very happy with that.

    The DLX I will use for pistols and stuff I can't use the Magnetospeed with.

  8. #28
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Near Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I just got a Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX and will be reviewing it on my Youtube Channel.

    I did the cheap Caldwell thing for a number of years and for the most part it worked pretty good over the years. But in the end it got a bit tatty and was falling apart so time for something new.

    I have the Magnetospeed for rifles and very happy with that.

    The DLX I will use for pistols and stuff I can't use the Magnetospeed with.
    This is the one I bought. Simple, fairly inexpensive, phone friendly. I hope your review is positive.

    Thanks for all the commentary and sharing of experience.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

    I know, not very creative but it is factual.

    By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

  9. #29
    UZI Talk Supporter

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    This is the one I bought. Simple, fairly inexpensive, phone friendly. I hope your review is positive.

    Thanks for all the commentary and sharing of experience.
    So far I'm pretty damn happy with it. I filmed the first part of the review and just need to do some more live action filming and a conclusion for it. Software works pretty good and it's caught all the shots, no problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.