UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat Parkerizing Match

UZI Talk Supporter

Duracoat Parkerizing Match

Anyone have experience with this product? https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes..../110764553.htm

My new unfired M10 had a bit of an accident during shipping. The selector lever broke off and then ground around on the parkerizing. It's not a Colt Thompson but just the same I try to keep what I own looking nice and the finish is new otherwise. Too bad, the condition was perfect when it shipped out. Name:  DSC03434.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  133.1 KBName:  DSC03433.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  161.5 KB

UZI Talk Supporter
    Did you, or the seller, or the dealer, insure it?

UZI Talk Life Member

Personally I would send it to Sam and get it reparkerized. Even if the color of the Duracoat matched exactly, the Duracoat finish would be a different texture. Three shooting positions down the line might not notice, but ever time you hold the gun I'd be willing to bet that you would. Good luck with the repair.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    +1 on blast & re-park - it will be perfect
    If you are going to shoot it, I;d do that a bit before sening if off for work...

+3, Sam will do an Awesome job on it and well worth the likely wait.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    +1 on blast & re-park - it will be perfect
    If you are going to shoot it, I;d do that a bit before sening if off for work...

Yep, I'd put at least 500-1k rounds through it then send it off to Sam for a repark. That way you'll know if there is anything else you'd like him to tweak or take a look at while he has it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    As dumb as it sounds, try and rub some oil into it. You’d be surprised sometimes what will hide when you rehydrate the porous finish with some oil. Sometimes those superficial scratches almost disappear after some use when the dirt and grime of use gets rubbed into them. But then again this is coming from a guy that views them as tool…. Just expensive ones

Also…… when you replace the selector it will hide most of it… after all who ever uses semi anyhow.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I've had good luck with Oxpho-Blue...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...1108-3955.aspx
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Is it bad to suggest some ceracoat or spray it with black epoxy from a can?

UZI Talk Supporter
    If it's a NIB or you just like looking at it get we reparked. My guns I scratch at least a couple times a year so it's whatever as they are shooters.

U can also get a cool paint job instead. Where is that Ameriflage M10 from July 4th?
    Check out my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    Personally I would send it to Sam and get it reparkerized. Even if the color of the Duracoat matched exactly, the Duracoat finish would be a different texture. Three shooting positions down the line might not notice, but ever time you hold the gun I'd be willing to bet that you would. Good luck with the repair.

Scott
    Repark. It will look brand new. If there are deeper scratched he can need lightly blast it for uniformity.

UZI Talk Life Member
    If you want an awesome finish, I’m seriously impressed by this stuff

https://youtu.be/TuxqihnqXYQ

UZI Talk Supporter

The dealer I purchased it from included delivery in the price. I contacted him when it arrived and he agreed to cover the cost of refinishing the lower and replacing the selector so I can't complain about that. I've heard nothing but good about Sam's refinish work, but what is holding me back is that he blasts with 80 and finishes with a charcoal type finish. Personally I like a smother finish and more of a gray green like the original. Just a personal aesthetic preference.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post

Scott
    very true, if I do poor work or damage something of mine it bugs me every time I use it. i think it would actually bother me less leaving it the way i got it than looking at my own poor repair.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1928 View Post
    Yep, I'd put at least 500-1k rounds through it then send it off to Sam for a repark. That way you'll know if there is anything else you'd like him to tweak or take a look at while he has it.
    good point, mag is too tight, don't even know if it shoots yet. being an unfired gun it will almost surely need some tweaking and it makes a lot more sense to do that first

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    As dumb as it sounds, try and rub some oil into it. You’d be surprised sometimes what will hide when you rehydrate the porous finish with some oil. Sometimes those superficial scratches almost disappear after some use when the dirt and grime of use gets rubbed into them. But then again this is coming from a guy that views them as tool…. Just expensive ones

Also…… when you replace the selector it will hide most of it… after all who ever uses semi anyhow.
    true, I was just reluctant to season it with oil if i was then going to try and paint over it

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    If you want an awesome finish, I’m seriously impressed by this stuff

https://youtu.be/TuxqihnqXYQ
    if it bonds well enough to legitimately adhere to piston skirts then that must be pretty good stuff

UZI Talk Supporter

Last edited by smec_289; 12-06-2021 at 08:46 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    I've had good luck with Oxpho-Blue...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...1108-3955.aspx
    I've had good luck with that also but I'm afraid it will make the scratch's stand out worse by making them black/blue. It is pretty good stuff though. Cold blue has a bit of a stigma but I've found that it wears fine if applied correctly. I've used it for touch up as well as whole blue jobs.

UZI Talk Supporter

Thanks for all the tips and advice. All things considered I think the best thing that can be done with this lower is to put a Tenko upper on it and I'm still holding out for that! Won't even be concerned about some scratches if I've got that. Got to put in a plug for A&S (for which I have not affiliation) because that is the reason I bought this. Keep up the good fight!

+ Reply to Thread