UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone done a reweld before?

Has anyone done a reweld before?

I have a cut galil receiver that was done really well, far below the locking lugs. I don't know if I'm able to do a reweld myself so I'm thinking of selling it if such a thing is even possible. Or if someone does rewelds I would certainly pay to have it done

Ive got dimensions for a reweld jig I lifted from one a buddy has. I havnt tried a reweld yet but with a jig it looks stupid easy.

I know a guy who does rewelds all the time… for himself. He does it to keep the original marking intact. I don’t know all the details, but the results look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Starvingboy View Post
    I know a guy who does rewelds all the time… for himself. He does it to keep the original marking intact. I don’t know all the details, but the results look good.
    could you get some details from him? I'd be interested in knowing how he does it

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    Ive got dimensions for a reweld jig I lifted from one a buddy has. I havnt tried a reweld yet but with a jig it looks stupid easy.
    Can you post those?

Quote Originally Posted by romat43 View Post
    could you get some details from him? I'd be interested in knowing how he does it
    What sort of info are you looking for? I think if you know your way around welding, the rest falls into place.

I don't know, like I said in my original post I don't know how to do a reweld or weld all that much either

I don't know, like I said in my original post I don't know how to do a reweld or weld all that much either
    I haven't welded a gun before but you are going to need to find a someone great at TIG to weld that thin and precise.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Being that you have little to no welding experience this is not a starting point. This requires a certain level of skill, precision, & knowledge of metallurgy. You have to know just which welding material to use & how to weld.

Find a professional that has experience doing this. Just my 2 cents from someone that has some experience welding & knows when he is over his head on certain jobs.
    "Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

If your front stub is nice and long (giggity), it's usually not a bad job.

But I've seen a lot of Galil cuts cut through the threads/lugs up front, and those would be a really sketchy rebuild.

If yours are long, it shouldn't be bad. Finding someone to do it (and then remark it) probably won't be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by boscoman View Post
    Being that you have little to no welding experience this is not a starting point. This requires a certain level of skill, precision, & knowledge of metallurgy. You have to know just which welding material to use & how to weld.

Find a professional that has experience doing this. Just my 2 cents from someone that has some experience welding & knows when he is over his head on certain jobs.
    Wouldn’t the professional then need to be a manufacturer? And need to transfer the newly manufactured receiver on a 4473?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman45 View Post
    Wouldn’t the professional then need to be a manufacturer? And need to transfer the newly manufactured receiver on a 4473?
    My solution is to have the owner present and involved in the process, I am simply there as a technical advisor while they finish the welds.

Wouldn’t the receiver require heat treatment after the welding to remove the stress in the metal?

Quote Originally Posted by boscoman View Post

That's why I asked if people do rewelds or if I could sell it. Do you know of a gunsmith who does rewelds? Someone reputable of course

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would contact Tenngalil & ask if he can do or who he would recommend.
    "Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Matt Yeomans (Turbothis) does milled AK rewelds.... but recently lost just about everything to the Oregon wildfires .... He can do it, but it will have to come back to you thru an FFL on a 4473.

You're still going to have to deal with barrel populating/headspacing , and a few rivets....

Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    Matt Yeomans (Turbothis) does milled AK rewelds.... but recently lost just about everything to the Oregon wildfires .... He can do it, but it will have to come back to you thru an FFL on a 4473.

You're still going to have to deal with barrel populating/headspacing , and a few rivets....
    I'll check him out and see. The barrel looks and sounds like it should be the same as installing an FAL barrel which I've done before. From that I don't think headspace will be an issue. Rivets I haven't done but I gotta learn since I'm also doing an AKM build here at some point

Matt Yeoman TURBOTHIS did my AK-55 Hungarian Milled AK build and yes, it did come back and required a 4473 but I did it at his shop and drove home being I was only 2 hours away by car.

search "galil art" on youtube. Great video on rewelding with tig....a 12 hour project. Guys are also using MIG. If you have a nicely cut receiver, that the front end is not destroyed and the lugs will not and have not been compromised by the torch or the welding process, I dont see why it could not be done with a little guidance. For one, the use of brass backers to help reduce the time to grind the interior of the receiver...also a jig...you can find the JIG on GB. I think it would be cool to see one that is nicely welded with TIG or MIG and the surface is not ground flush, but the welds are left visible. (save alot of time too!)

+ Reply to Thread