UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quiet Self-Defense Ammo for the Uzi Pro pistol?

Quiet Self-Defense Ammo for the Uzi Pro pistol?

I got an Uzi Pro pistol hoping to turn it into a "quiet" self-defense gun.

I tried feeding some Speer Gold G2 147g 9mm rounds into it and it jammed and failed to feed every time. The flat head and the feed ramp didn't get along. I called IWI US and they told me it is a military gun designed for higher pressure 124g NATO loads and it was not designed for hollowpoints (!!). They couldn't assure me it would cycle subsonic ammo, either.

I am looking for Uzi Pro self-defense ammo recommendations from experienced Uzi Pro shooters.

1.) Will the IWI Uzi pro pistol reliably cycle subsonic ammo?

2.) Can you suggest any self-defense ammo, quiet (preferably) or supersonic, that feed and cycle perfectly in the IWI Uzi Pro?
    Last edited by ZionTrain; 12-20-2021 at 12:04 PM.

what silencer are you using?

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    Quote Originally Posted by ZionTrain View Post
    I got an Uzi Pro pistol hoping to turn it into a "quiet" self-defense gun.

I tried feeding some Speer Gold G2 147g 9mm rounds into it and it jammed and failed to feed every time. The flat head and the feed ramp didn't get along. I called IWI US and they told me it is a military gun designed for higher pressure 124g NATO loads and it was not designed for hollowpoints (!!). They couldn't assure me it would cycle subsonic ammo, either.

I am looking for Uzi Pro self-defense ammo recommendations from experienced Uzi Pro shooters.

1.) Will the IWI Uzi pro pistol reliably cycle subsonic ammo?

2.) Can you suggest any self-defense ammo, quiet (preferably) or supersonic, that feed and cycle perfectly in the IWI Uzi Pro?
    Any round nose FMJ should cycle the gun the issue is feeding truncated HP rounds some work some don't

There is no such thing as feed and cycle perfectly all firearms have some kind of feeding or jam issue at some point.

Sounds like you need a revolver if you want almost 100% reliable. I load 9mm RN 124g FMJ that is subsonic and cycles the semi auto and full autos very well. My Uzis happen to eat 158g truncated rounds. Try and not load the mags to the max back off 5 rounds maybe it will change the bullets entry angle. Try more than one magazine.

I would go with what IWI said and get the 124s. All the Uzis are made for the this ammo anyway look around for some IMI 9mm its good ammo

Suppressors are a novelty anyway
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits out of stock

http://www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by Member13 View Post
    what silencer are you using?
    I don't have a can yet, just a Kaw Valley linear compensator. I wanted a compact gun that was less ear-shattering than 5.56... so I was hoping to shoot subsonic 9mm defensive rounds in the Uzi Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by arch stanton View Post
    Any round nose FMJ should cycle the gun the issue is feeding truncated HP rounds some work some don't
    I figured this. My Hornady Critical Defense 115g seem to chamber just fine. I live far from a range and don't get to shoot / test very often so I am looking for tips on specific self defense rounds that performed well in an IWI Uzi Pro. Subsonics preferred but all suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by ZionTrain; 12-20-2021 at 09:06 PM.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    Probably not many guys running any self defense rounds through that gun good luck in your search
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits out of stock

http://www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

158 gr. round nose at 850 fps. run all day and hit hard. (I have never been shot with one, but they drop steel hard) H/P ammo is not going to function well. Get a Glock if you want to run H/P ammo. Pair it with a Octane 9 can with 147 gr. H/P's.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman View Post
    158 gr. round nose at 850 fps. run all day and hit hard. (I have never been shot with one, but they drop steel hard) H/P ammo is not going to function well. Get a Glock if you want to run H/P ammo. Pair it with a Octane 9 can with 147 gr. H/P's.
    Ok thanks, I have a box of Prizi Parivan 158g round nose to test!

Also considering testing these pointy nose, Fort Scott Munitions "tumble upon impact" 125g subsonic 9mm defense rounds - https://www.laxammo.com/fort-scott-m...-20-rds-detail

Yes it will run self-defense rounds reliably. I've had 0 issues with any ammo super or subsonic (suppressed).

Quote Originally Posted by jurist View Post
    Yes it will run self-defense rounds reliably. I've had 0 issues with any ammo super or subsonic (suppressed).
    Can you recommend any particular self-defense load that yours handles well?

UZI Talk Supporter

Ok thanks, I have a box of Prizi Parivan 158g round nose to test!

Also considering testing these pointy nose, Fort Scott Munitions "tumble upon impact" 125g subsonic 9mm defense rounds - https://www.laxammo.com/fort-scott-m...-20-rds-detail
    Prvi Partizan, Prvi Partizan, Prvi Partizan
    Class 3 shooters blow thier loads faster and with only 1 pull of the trigger

I don't have a can yet, just a Kaw Valley linear compensator. I wanted a compact gun that was less ear-shattering than 5.56... so I was hoping to shoot subsonic 9mm defensive rounds in the Uzi Pro.
    Dude… it sounds like you need a Maxim-9. To each their own, but it sounds like square peg in a round hole to me.

+ Reply to Thread