UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 4 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 120

Thread: Congrats Lage MFG!

  1. #61
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Would an approval in caliber 5.56 allow production in other calibers without further approval? While a 5.56 would be the best choice a .308 might be interesting on the M-10. 7.62x39 was interesting until Biden did his anti-Russian ammo thing recently.
    The AR-10 and AR-15 are two different mechanisms. They are similar but not the same system. The increase in the length of cartridge requires a longer magwell and longer stroke. It would seem to me that since the current design would not be long enough to accommodate 7.62X51, would require a design and resubmition.

    Scott

  2. #62
    UZI Talk Life Member
    BWE Firearms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Longwood, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Congratulations Richard.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

    BWE Firearms & Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

  3. #63
    Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Jmacken37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,861
    Quote Originally Posted by m11stuff@hotmail.com View Post
    To answer a couple of questions:

    We are closed for the rest of this week fir Christmas
    I see what you did there Richard!
    AWWWW NUTS!

    REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

  4. #64
    Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Jmacken37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,861
    Quote Originally Posted by llamasabound View Post
    Since I put myself in the M10 list, I’ve acquired an M11A1. Now I have a hard choice to make!
    Shouldn't be that hard, go with the small one fo sho!
    Alternatively, get both!
    AWWWW NUTS!

    REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

  5. #65
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Shouldn't be that hard, go with the small one fo sho!
    Alternatively, get both!
    Agreed! The hard choice is give up my 2nd month delivery of an M10/15 for a 6-7th month delivery of an M11A1/15. I’ve slowly learned to be a patient person, but all the 556 I’ve stockpiled isn’t going to shoot itself.

  6. #66
    UZI Talk Life Member
    skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    The AR-10 and AR-15 are two different mechanisms. They are similar but not the same system. The increase in the length of cartridge requires a longer magwell and longer stroke. It would seem to me that since the current design would not be long enough to accommodate 7.62X51, would require a design and resubmition.

    Scott
    Scott,

    The size of the components shouldn't matter if the design follows the same basic concept/architecture. Does a suppressor manufacturer have to get approval for every can that they make? Does a rifle manufacturer have to get one for every caliber. Can you see Winchester going through that because they come out with a Model 70 in a long and then a short action? Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.

    My question was mostly to Richard Lage to ask if he would have to do a major mechanism redesign for .308 over 5.56 for the added power, not would he have to enlarge the magazine well to fit a longer cartridge. A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........

  7. #67
    Registered User LawBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Scott,

    The size of the components shouldn't matter if the design follows the same basic concept/architecture. Does a suppressor manufacturer have to get approval for every can that they make? Does a rifle manufacturer have to get one for every caliber. Can you see Winchester going through that because they come out with a Model 70 in a long and then a short action? Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.

    My question was mostly to Richard Lage to ask if he would have to do a major mechanism redesign for .308 over 5.56 for the added power, not would he have to enlarge the magazine well to fit a longer cartridge. A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........
    A can canít be a firearm. An upper might be if you can fire it without a lower.

    It would be logical that the atf would approve a similar design perhaps more quickly in a larger magwell, but not guaranteed.

  8. #68
    Registered User LawBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,504
    A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........

    You only have the distance from the front of the sear to the back of the lower.

  9. #69
    Registered User LawBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Scott,

    The size of the components shouldn't matter if the design follows the same basic concept/architecture. Does a suppressor manufacturer have to get approval for every can that they make? Does a rifle manufacturer have to get one for every caliber. Can you see Winchester going through that because they come out with a Model 70 in a long and then a short action? Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.

    My question was mostly to Richard Lage to ask if he would have to do a major mechanism redesign for .308 over 5.56 for the added power, not would he have to enlarge the magazine well to fit a longer cartridge. A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........
    “Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.


    They aren’t making uppers for open bolt guns that can literally fire without the fire control unit.

    Example and don’t do this: you can put a cartridge in your detached upper and drop the bolt on it with gravity. Boom.

    An open bolt upper that has a magazine well is especially concerning if you could pull bolt back and let er rip without the registered lower. (That’s called a machine gun).

  10. #70
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    42
    Congrats Richardand and team Lage! #34 on the M10 list. Canít wait!

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    683
    When you see this thread and then search through your email to find out you never got on the list. Dammit. I got on the lists for the Tenko and Ulti-Mac but not the Lage...ugh.

  12. #72
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,227
    Congratulations

  13. #73
    UZI Talk Life Member
    KickStand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by LawBob View Post
    An open bolt upper that has a magazine well is especially concerning if you could pull bolt back and let er rip without the registered lower. (Thatís called a machine gun).
    Iíve posted this almost to the T.
    With a max-31 or any forward (non factory) mag well you can do a mag dump with no (Lower) receiver. Simply insert a loaded mag, place the rear of the upper against something, pull the bolt back, then let it go and Bang.

    Unfortunately, AFT will likely change their minds in the future.
    They have a history of doing it especially with approval letters.



    Regardless, itís an assume time to be a MAC owner of any variety as thereís two companies thatís making rifles caliber uppers now.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by LawBob View Post
    A can can’t be a firearm. An upper might be if you can fire it without a lower.

    It would be logical that the atf would approve a similar design perhaps more quickly in a larger magwell, but not guaranteed.
    Oh?

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky923 View Post
    Oh?
    Technically a silencer is a title 2 firearm.

  16. #76
    Moderator
    FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    chili17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,638
    lets get back on track
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

  17. #77
    Registered User krazymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    65
    Congratulations Richard! Thank yíall for all you do for the Mac community!

    So much time has passed I canít remember if you have any anodized/finished versions of these. If so would you or Jackie mind posting some pics to help us get even more fired up? #18 on A1 and #86 on M10 here I come!

    Edit, my 11/15 runs like a top, never an issue. I love it!

  18. #78
    Registered User LawBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut77donut View Post
    Technically a silencer is a title 2 firearm.
    You know what I mean. The can can’t fire a round. A shockwave rem 870 isn’t a shotgun either (technically).

  19. #79
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Gaujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,772
    Yeah. This is the first rifle upper ever for the A1!
    Check out my Youtube channel

  20. #80
    UZI Talk Supporter
    beltfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    209
    Congratulations to the Lage family.
    FFL/C&R

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.