UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: IMI Magal

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    1

    IMI Magal

    I’ve been browsing around looking for any kind of information on the Magal. However, it seems what I can find is very limited. My main issue is finding the polymer jacket the receiver drops in. I understand only a small number were produced, so if anyone has any kind of dimensions or blueprints they’d be willing to share I would be grateful.

  2. #2
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,316
    Welcome!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    289
    I think finding one of these in the wild will be extremely unlikely as it is a very scarce item. Also, drawings of such things are not a good idea to share even if someone had access due to ITAR restriction and such.

    I’m sure IWI would also not be pleased with their proprietary drawings being shared, even if they never intend to build again.

    All that being said, an interesting firearm. I hope Forgotten Weapons does an episode on them one day.

  4. #4
    UZI Talk Life Member
    kanewtervalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyfive1911a1 View Post
    I think finding one of these in the wild will be extremely unlikely as it is a very scarce item. Also, drawings of such things are not a good idea to share even if someone had access due to ITAR restriction and such.

    I’m sure IWI would also not be pleased with their proprietary drawings being shared, even if they never intend to build again.

    All that being said, an interesting firearm. I hope Forgotten Weapons does an episode on them one day.
    Tell me more of this "Forgotten Weapons". Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

  5. #5
    UZI Talk Supporter
    3154tm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Redneck Riviera, Fl
    Posts
    521

  6. #6
    Registered User Mr Folgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,023
    MAGAL was a limited use replacement weapon for the M1 Carbine that was issued to semi-civilian personnel (teachers) and I believe some police.

    They are extremely rare. Blackthorne had scores of the plastic shells for sale years ago, probably the entire lot that IMI made.

    As far as I know they are no longer around Israel. .30 Carbine is an outdated cartridge and the police get Micro Galils now or MTAR.

  7. #7
    UZI Talk Life Member
    jetskrtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Evansville,Indiana
    Posts
    3,609
    I have a Magal build in 5.56 Built by the Galil master in Tennessee.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by kanewtervalve View Post
    Tell me more of this "Forgotten Weapons". Sorry to hijack your thread OP.
    One of the most popular gun YouTube channels that's been around for over a decade.

  9. #9
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,316
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskrtal View Post
    I have a Magal build in 5.56 Built by the Galil master in Tennessee.
    Can you please post pics?

  10. #10
    Registered User Ruddiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskrtal View Post
    I have a Magal build in 5.56 Built by the Galil master in Tennessee.
    And Jeff's working on another Magal clone with an original .30 carbine barrel.

  11. #11
    UZI Talk Life Member
    jetskrtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Evansville,Indiana
    Posts
    3,609


    Fake suppressor
    Custom gas block
    308 style stock
    Galil and AK receivers fit in the poly lower

  12. #12
    Registered User adipose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,188
    Awww! The Magal in .30 carbine issued to the police!

    Name:  magal1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  86.7 KBName:  magal-police.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  49.8 KB[ATTACH]37024
    Attached Images  

  13. #13
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,316
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskrtal View Post


    Fake suppressor
    Custom gas block
    308 style stock
    Galil and AK receivers fit in the poly lower
    Sweet!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    85
    That is very cool and unique. Where do you get mags?

  15. #15
    Registered User Ruddiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Mragu View Post
    That is very cool and unique. Where do you get mags?
    The IMI Magal used modified M1 Carbine mags.

  16. #16
    UZI Talk Supporter

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Folgers View Post
    MAGAL was a limited use replacement weapon for the M1 Carbine that was issued to semi-civilian personnel (teachers) and I believe some police.

    They are extremely rare. Blackthorne had scores of the plastic shells for sale years ago, probably the entire lot that IMI made.

    As far as I know they are no longer around Israel. .30 Carbine is an outdated cartridge and the police get Micro Galils now or MTAR.
    I don't know that it was to replace the M1 carbine -- it was to supplement and use up all the WW2 and Korean War-era .30 carbine ammo and mags the US and Europe gave them after France implemented an arms embargo in the late 1960s and they feared other nations might follow... There were also issues of Israel having economic recessions/depressions throughout much of this time as well, meaning they had to pinch pennies.
    The Galil was originally produced domestically for similar reasons -- to ensure available small arms before US under Reagan began granting Israel military "grants" instead of previous "loans" and to help stimulate the domestic economy, as well as an export item for trade.

    Reagan's 1980s grants is when floodgates opened and US-produced small arms (M16/M4), provided for free by the US taxpayer, began flooding into Israel along with many other forms of military aid. And when the Galil was largely dumped and remaining Israeli vintage small arms/ammo were mothballed or sold.

    Importantly, the 5.56 Galil was a frontline infantry weapon, while Magal was a support troops and police weapon due to slightly less effective caliber; however, the Magal weighed as much if not less than the Uzi while having significantly more capability... Increase in terrorism probably necessitated this more precise and powerful weapon system over previous handguns and SMGs. 7.62 Galil was more of a DMR role, while Galatz obviously a precision weapon.
    Last edited by RSR; 09-21-2022 at 07:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.