UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: I Fu%&ing hate squibs !!!

  1. #1
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Villafuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    757

    I Fu%&ing hate squibs !!!

    Uzi barrels aren't as cheap as they used to be... and a squib just did a number on my favorite "shooter" bbl .....

    What say the hive ......keep shooting with it, shorten and recrown, or shorten and reprofile/thread to 5/8-11" for an old RPB M11 can I've got??


  2. #2
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,068
    just keep shoot'n it

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    22
    I’d cut off an inch for good measure, recrown, and put it back into action.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    797
    Unless accuracy has gone to crap, ignore it and shoot it.

  5. #5
    UZI Talk Life Member
    kanewtervalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,212
    I had one in my 16" barrel before I sbred it, ended up getting a spare barrel off a member here, now it's a spare since I got a 3 lug for the sbr.

  6. #6
    UZI Talk Life Member
    hkg3k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    Uzi barrels aren't as cheap as they used to be... and a squib just did a number on my favorite "shooter" bbl .....

    What say the hive ......keep shooting with it, shorten and recrown, or shorten and reprofile/thread to 5/8-11" for an old RPB M11 can I've got??
    You actually got off pretty easy on your Uzi squib...that bulge could've been behind the trunnion (BAD) -or- inside the trunnion (WORSE).
    hkg3k
    Browning, Maxim, Vickers
    Beltfeds: Real Machineguns

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    nePA
    Posts
    1,504
    Just shoot it. A range blaster barrel.

  8. #8
    UZI Talk Life Member
    TheColtCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Riverview, FL
    Posts
    1,335
    Nut up and shoot it

  9. #9
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,058
    Chop short and thread a three lug adapter on there.

  10. #10
    Registered User bigu2fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    368
    just curious, but what ammo were you shooting when the squib occurred?

  11. #11
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    on the crapper
    Posts
    5,255
    Chuck it in a lathe and remove a little.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

  12. #12
    UZI Talk Life Member
    kanewtervalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,212
    Make it an FBI barrel

  13. #13
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Villafuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by bigu2fan View Post
    just curious, but what ammo were you shooting when the squib occurred?
    Could have been 124gr Aguila, 115gr Winchester, 124gr Winchester, or 124gr Speer TMJ. We had been shooting all day....didn't even notice it till I got home.

    Magtech caused the only other squib I've had in an Uzi.... but it sure let me know.....bent the top cover and the case head ruptured last time....but the bbl. was fine.

  14. #14
    Registered User NorincoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Spring Hill, FL
    Posts
    57
    Glad you werent injured, looks like minimal damage.

    I'd cut it back and recrown, 8" FBI syle

  15. #15
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,068
    Well, if I just are going to keep shooting same junk ammo
    Cut the barrel down z& maybe it will make it out of shorter barrel next time
    8-)

    Seriously, WWB is pretty notorious for this…
    I wouldn’t run the stuff in MGs

  16. #16
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,245
    Glad you are unharmed. The accuracy may seriously suffer, or it may be a virtually unnoticeable difference. Personally, I'd cut and recrown if you have the tools to do so, otherwise, replace it. A second Squib in the same area could cause that part of the Barrel to shatter or split, putting you in danger. Better safe than sorry.

  17. #17
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Villafuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    Well, if I just are going to keep shooting same junk ammo
    Cut the barrel down z& maybe it will make it out of shorter barrel next time
    8-)

    Seriously, WWB is pretty notorious for this…
    I wouldn’t run the stuff in MGs
    Legit question ......what would you classify as "not junk" ammo????

    I'd love to go blasting all day with 124gr MEN, or Hirtenberger..... but since none of it is available, that isn't an option

    I've had exactly 2 ammo "issues" in the past 50K or so rounds

  18. #18
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,068
    Well, for 9mm, I’d say generally avoid reloads, anything with the banded/ringed cases, and
    Winchester White Box (maybe it’s just the older stuff -
    Dunno - no personal experience, just read a bunch of stories about it)

    Imho, most brass stuff that doesn’t have the banded cases is decent - Federal, Lake City, Remington, SB, CCI, Aguila, Speer, Magtech, lots more…
    More

  19. #19
    UZI Talk Life Member
    amphibian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    Well, for 9mm, I’d say generally avoid reloads, anything with the banded/ringed cases, and
    Winchester White Box (maybe it’s just the older stuff -
    Dunno - no personal experience, just read a bunch of stories about it)

    Imho, most brass stuff that doesn’t have the banded cases is decent - Federal, Lake City, Remington, SB, CCI, Aguila, Speer, Magtech, lots more…
    More
    Yeah...I remember a lot of people complaining about squibs back when you could get the WWB at Walmart for like $10 for 100 rounds. I haven't heard about issues with it for several years.

    As for reloads, that is all I shoot but they are my reloads. I wouldn't shoot anyone else's.

    Back to your barrel, I would cut it down to one of the two versions below for suppressor usage:


  20. #20
    Registered User bigu2fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    Could have been 124gr Aguila, 115gr Winchester, 124gr Winchester, or 124gr Speer TMJ. We had been shooting all day....didn't even notice it till I got home.

    Magtech caused the only other squib I've had in an Uzi.... but it sure let me know.....bent the top cover and the case head ruptured last time....but the bbl. was fine.
    If it’s of any help, I have not had a squib in many thousands of rounds of 9mm CCI Blazer Brass, S&B, PPU, Federal, Geco, Fiocchi, Remington or Winchester over the last 20 years. I have not tried 9mm made by Magtech, Aguila or Armscor. I’d say keep shooting that barrel unless accuracy is compromised.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.