UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will CF-W tungsten bolts be made again?

UZI Talk Life Member

Will CF-W tungsten bolts be made again?

With Vegasís passing nobody has mentioned future bolt production.

I know PS was recently the new point of sale, but nothing said about manufacture.

Lot of $$$$$ to spend on each batch per production run, plus who has the CAD files?

Did my final production bolt just go up (substantially) in value?

According to practical solutions they will continue the manufacture of the CF-W bolts st least for the near future. Read the comments for this video.

https://youtu.be/ixfSPWDWZlw

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks for making all the great videos Sam and being a great resource for the MAC style guns. I know Tom would be happy to see you carry on making the CFW bolt.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Good. I’d love to get an older one with a replaceable firing pin.

There are some guys down in Texas who will have some heavy bolts on the market this summer. I did the CAD work for them and am writing the G-Code as we speak so I'll have them post something here when they decide whether or not to go into general public sales.

UZI Talk Life Member
    ^ Thanks for breaking the ice.

There are a lot of variables before product is made I’m sure you know..

A product I thought was ready months ago has been delaying itself quite well as time goes on without a care.

This is good news, I suppose, though Mr. Wright’s passing is such a loss that this feels like a happy announcement that most of the luggage from the Titanic has been salvaged. Has anyone explored the possibility of a tungsten M10 .45 bolt? The Lage upper is great, but a drop in bolt to slow a factory upper would also be cool.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman45 View Post
    This is good news, I suppose, though Mr. Wright’s passing is such a loss that this feels like a happy announcement that most of the luggage from the Titanic has been salvaged. Has anyone explored the possibility of a tungsten M10 .45 bolt? The Lage upper is great, but a drop in bolt to slow a factory upper would also be cool.
    The tungsten bolt design is great, but the real treasure is lost.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 01-10-2022 at 10:12 AM.
    Check out my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman45 View Post
    I recall from talking to Tom years ago that the 45 is doable as Tom made and tested it. Video are on Youtube. Issue is its like $2000 worth of tungsten alone at todays price

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk120 View Post
    I recall from talking to Tom years ago that the 45 is doable as Tom made and tested it. Video are on Youtube. Issue is its like $2000 worth of tungsten alone at todays price
    and it beat up the receiver
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Life Member
    A sensitive topic indeed, and with all due respect to Tom and his family all we'll say is that about a month or so ago, Practical Solutions was contacted by a long time friend of Tom's that is helping the family sort out some of his affairs. We were told that when the timing is right, all of the specifics (drawings, files, manufacturer's info.) regarding the bolt, would be passed on to us to continue on with the bolts. We were given no specific dates, or guarantees and we are perfectly OK with whatever the future holds with regard to the CF-W bolts. But hopefully, that will be a project we can tackle one day, soon. What we care about the most is honoring Tom and his memory.

With regard to the 45 heavy bolt, when Tom was here visiting this past September, he spoke in detail with Sam regarding it's development. It is a project in which we are interested in pursuing, but it is a low priority for us, since we already have too many irons in the fire and we are covered up with work.

This is news to us with regard to someone else making a heavy bolt, and if that comes to fruition, we wish that manufacturer the best of luck. In this day and age, we need as many people as possible keeping all of us in functioning and relevant firearms and accessories.
    "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

UZI Talk Supporter

It's tough to discuss moving forward after such a loss. While a friend is gone and we know, intellectually-speaking, it would compound the loss to allow his work to be forgotten or go to waste, sensitivity is still required.

UZI Talk Supporter
    While this is purely speculation, I would expect the original CFW Bolts to eventually be worth more than later ones made by a different manufacturer. This is based on the fact that other items, gun related or not, generally follow this trend.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would use the same manufacturer that Tom used. I doubt that much can be improved with a different machinist and a lot can be unimproved by going to a place that doesn't have the experience and back and forth that Tom surely provided. Doesn't matter how good the new shop is, how many thousand years of machining tungsten experience, how many zillions of dollars of equipment they have, they don't know that Tom asked the other shop to keep this or that dimension to one side of the tolerance band or the other for any number of dimensions or the reasons why.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    While this is purely speculation, I would expect the original CFW Bolts to eventually be worth more than later ones made by a different manufacturer. This is based on the fact that other items, gun related or not, generally follow this trend.
    Yeah, the successor bolt (for lack of a better term) is going to have to prove itself in order to gain the acceptance that Tom's original work did. I own a few of Tom's last incarnation and they are flawless in their operation.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    I would use the same manufacturer that Tom used. I doubt that much can be improved with a different machinist and a lot can be unimproved by going to a place that doesn't have the experience and back and forth that Tom surely provided. Doesn't matter how good the new shop is, how many thousand years of machining tungsten experience, how many zillions of dollars of equipment they have, they don't know that Tom asked the other shop to keep this or that dimension to one side of the tolerance band or the other for any number of dimensions or the reasons why.
    The only change I would recommend to the new bolt would be to give a bit more clearance on the bottom of the bolt for the 380 mag feed lips. I removed few thousandths from the mag catch for clearance. I was not sure of if that was a RPB gun problem.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    The only change I would recommend to the new bolt would be to give a bit more clearance on the bottom of the bolt for the 380 mag feed lips. I removed few thousandths from the mag catch for clearance. I was not sure of if that was a RPB gun problem.
    In a sheet metal world a few thousandths is nothing. Could be unique to your receiver or the batch of receivers that yours was in. I spent a lot of time in manufacturing and while parts are all the same each one is just a tad bit different in some small way. That or Tom's gun was off by a few thousandths and so HE didn't have the issue. I have a PS/RPB 380 and it runs just fine but the CFW-A bolt does ride on one of the mags just a bit.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'm not the only one who needed to alter the mag catch to use the CFW 380 bolt without issue. But yes, I agree with you in general.

Pixar called this tiny improvement process, "Plussing".

https://intenseminimalism.com/2015/p...ving-feedback/

UZI Talk Life Member
    It could be magazine variation. In fact it's likely the magazines more than the receiver. My RPB mags needed some work to get them to be mostly reliable. Like I wrote above, one still hits the CFW bolt but not the stock bolt.

Not sure what the plussing is about but please don't take any offense to what I wrote. I just wanted to make the point of not making changes to a successful product until the issue with it is well known. I've also seen product changes made only to find that it didn't improve the product or worse it brought up a new issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    The tungsten bolt design is great, but the real treasure is lost.
    True. Speaking of tungsten bolts and lost treasures, what ever happened to CoffeeFreak?

+ Reply to Thread