UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I trade my Ruger Mk IV 22/45 for a keltec CP33?

UZI Talk Supporter

Should I trade my Ruger Mk IV 22/45 for a keltec CP33?

Got a Ruger, newest model, lite. Like it, but I don't want to tie up cash with both guns. What do you think?

Vs

Don't burn me at the stake, but considering that CP33 for home defense with the can on it. Here's why: wife is comfortable with it and I have to travel for work a lot.
    Check out my Youtube channel

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yes on the CP33
    You seen the YouTube series on cheek guns?

UZI Talk Life Member
    For self defense perhaps get her a glock19 with a 33round mag stuck in it.

.22 is better than nothing but immobilizing an angry attacker is serious business.

If you put a Volquartsen trigger/sear in that mk4 you’d be less likely to sell it.

Also, Burris makes a red dot mount kit that eliminates the rail.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have a CP33 and I love it......cycles perfectly IF you use the American Speed loader. A must for the CP33 and the PMR30

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    Yes on the CP33
    You seen the YouTube series on cheek guns?
    That's what I've been wanting to try! Have you tried it?

UZI Talk Life Member
    My brother has both and they both work great.
    If you want a pistol, keep the Ruger. If you want a Braced pistol, get the Keltec.
    The Ruger is a better handgun but the Keltec would be great with a telescoping brace (ain’t cheap though).

As for reliability for home defense, I would count on a Ruger and not a Keltec (especially a 22).
    Last edited by KickStand; 01-09-2022 at 08:56 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

I own both. My observations / opinion?

1. My Ruger MkIV 22/45 is very reliable; it never misfeeds. The MKIV is easy to break down and clean. The Volquartsen trigger kits are worth the $.

2. I have the CP33 and American Speed Loader. I bought TWO Speedloaders because I'm that way. Guess what: whatever the dynamics, molding and quirks are inherent in the designs of the magazine and loader, one loader works perfectly, the other loader is unpredictably good and not good. Same mags, same ammo, same gun, same shooter. One loader always loads properly, the other sometimes causes rimlock.

3. If my wife's life depended on it and I had to choose between two guns, I would choose the Ruger.

Myself, I keep, shoot and enjoy both. But I do NOT trust the CP33.

For the record, I also own a CMR30 and PMR30 and they are both great despite their reputations. I load the mags carefully and these are a lot of fun. So I'm not a Keltec hater.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

why not a PMR30?

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
    why not a PMR30?
    The muzzle flash and report of the PMR30 even with a can would not be good indoors, no ear protection.

In other words, all the things that make it a fun range toy would make it a terrible home defense gun.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
    why not a PMR30?
    My uncle had one and it wasn't reliable. Those long thin 22wmr cases seem to be prone to bending which I suspect has something to do with the reliability. But as Scott mentioned a little loud and zippy. I'm more interested in her having a nightstand gun she's confident shooting and isn't afraid of than I am first hit stopping power. I suspect strongly she just wouldn't use one of my centerfire pistols at all for fear of over penetration / whatever, and the Ruger's mag is just a bit small.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 01-10-2022 at 10:56 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Early PMR's had some issues that apparently was corrected. But until you learn the proper loading technique you can dent the cases and cause jams. There's only one way to load them properly and once you know that - and have a later model - you'll find it to be very reliable.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    My uncle had one and it wasn't reliable. Those long thin 22wmr cases seem to be prone to bending which I suspect has something to do with the reliability. But as Scott mentioned a little loud and zippy. I'm more interested in her having a nightstand gun she's confident shooting and isn't afraid of than I am first hit stopping power. I suspect strongly she just wouldn't use one of my centerfire pistols at all for fear of over penetration / whatever, and the Ruger's mag is just a bit small.
    I’ve got a cmr-30 from an estate sale for a steal and when I initially bought it, I figured it was going to be a POS because of all the negative reviews I’ve seen about it and the pmr-30. I loaded up a magazine and I was pleasantly surprised when it did NOT malfunction. I then loaded up another magazine and put my spectre II on it and it again functioned flawlessly. I’ve since shot it numerous times and keep expecting it to malfunction but it hasn’t let me down yet. I should mention, I’m using some really old 22wmr ammo (probably 30 plus years old) and I suspect most of the malfunctions are due to improper loading / rim lock.

Regardless, I would bet my life on a 22 Ruger pistol over a Keltec regardless of magazine size.

UZI Talk Life Member

I recall Keltec posted on their website at one time that ONLY 40 grain high velocity .22WMR was recommended. I use exclusively all the varieties of CCI 40 gr and have had no issues. On the other hand, I have had jams with some Remington 40 gr and some lighter Hornady (I think).

I do think sticking with CCI 40 gr makes a big difference.

Have you looked at the Taurus TX22? About the size of a Glock 19, 16 rd factory mags with available Tandemkross "Wingman" replacement floorplates that up the capacity by 5 rds to 21. Mine has been totally reliable even with the extended baseplates. A few hundred less than the Keltec along with "conventional" handgun design so it can be easily holstered or carried in a coat pocket. The "competition" model with the red dot mount and bull bbl looks interesting too, although the premium they charge for it is a little excessive I think.

Tandemkross also makes a replacement follower that converts the factory Ruger 10 rd mag to 11. Not much, but it is something.

The Keltec CP33 seems to be more of a range toy than a defensive pistol simply due to the size and design along with the careful mag load procedure required. If I was wanting something similar sized for defense a Ruger Charger with a stubby bbl and the factory 25 rd magazines would be my choice. Copper Custom sells an AL 1913 rail adapter that replaces that little plastic piece at the rear of the plastic stocked models to allow a brace to be attached. The brace and adapter is kinda pricey, but works most excellent. There is also a 3D printed file for one on thingiverse if you want to try one for $3 worth of filament.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    no question, keep the ruger
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    For self defense perhaps get her a glock19 with a 33round mag stuck in it.

.22 is better than nothing but immobilizing an angry attacker is serious business.

If you put a Volquartsen trigger/sear in that mk4 you’d be less likely to sell it.

Also, Burris makes a red dot mount kit that eliminates the rail.

That would also replace that crappy plastic rear site which broke :-/

Ruger has the 22 reliability thing down. And upgrade options are plentiful.
    Keltecs have always been spotty at best for reliability. So even if they had upgrade options, why bother if they don't function correctly.
    If you really want the Keltec then get it but don't get rid of the Ruger. I'd get rid of my wife before any of my guns.

The only Keltec I would EVER consider getting is the RFB.

UZI Talk Life Member
    That's what I've been wanting to try! Have you tried it?
    Haven’t tried it yet, but looks like it works.
    I’m more interested in trying it with something like TP9

Btw, agree 100% with the Glock19 suggestion for
    Self-defense. 22LR just isn’t reliable enough for me.

UZI Talk Life Member
    That would also replace that crappy plastic rear site which broke :-/
    Yeah I went ahead and removed the front sight too for a cleaner look.

My last mod would be a volquartsen bolt to make it easier on the fingers.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Keltec also offers the P17 - 17 rnd mags, 3 of them included, .22LR. I have one and it is very reliable. Mine goes bang every time.

The cp33 is too big for a nightstand gun. My opinion.

David

+ Reply to Thread