UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I trade my Ruger Mk IV 22/45 for a keltec CP33?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Keep the Ruger, but I would never want to rely on a 22lr for defense. Frangible Ammo would reduce the over penetration risks of Centerfire Cartridges.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    Yeah I went ahead and removed the front sight too for a cleaner look.

My last mod would be a volquartsen bolt to make it easier on the fingers.
    Then we can get you a volquartsen frame and some volquartsen socks ;-)
    Check out my Youtube channel

UZI Talk Life Member
    Trigger and bolt will do.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LotsaTiques View Post
    Keltec also offers the P17 - 17 rnd mags, 3 of them included, .22LR. I have one and it is very reliable. Mine goes bang every time.

The cp33 is too big for a nightstand gun. My opinion.

David
    My p17 has broken 2 firing pins in 4k
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Life Member

Just my opinion.....but the fundamental engineering and design philosophy for KelTec is 'Fun and as easy and cheap to build as possible!' Let's be honest: they are all plastic shells screwed together with stamped sheet metal parts and plastic for everything possible.

So...fun range toy, unique designs....but I would not depend on any KelTec for self defense. And I own three!

But my nightstand gun is a Walther PDP Compact with a Mossberg 500 as backup.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter

I dont have the ruger, but i have the cp33. I bought a speedloader (same shown above) and i must have gotten a bad one. Its garbage. Wasnnt hard figuring out how to prevent rimlock loading by hand. Only issues i have had with it is it doesnt like eley match slow pistol. Eats everything else. The only thing i do not like about the gun is the grip is incredibly uncomfortable. Its long and thin.
    The keltec is quite accurate for a pistol. But the ruger probably is as well.

Me personally i think that you would be better off with the ruger. Think you may be able to get integrated upper cans for it as well.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Sounds like I gotta buy both. I shoulda known!

Just don't tell the wife.

I had slight feed issues with my CP33 when I first got it , sent it back to keltec and within a week, got it back and it runs 100% , they replaced the mag springs and an extractor spring, must be a mag issue, its hard to load, Im gonna look into a speed loaded, I love the thing, I did buy the Farrow Tech stock when it first came out, and I don't use it, Im a big guy and I need something longer, ....actually I will sell it if anyone is interested, I put a stock back section on it cause I was gonna SBR it, you could put one of the gearhead works tail hooks back on it easily if you wanna run it as a braced pistol and save the $200....the CP is bad ass with a red dot and the stock, and when you add a silencer with everything else it sure turns heads at the range.

Im looking for a CMR-30 , the guys at Keltec said they will pull the barrel for $50, they you can chop it for and thread it for SBR and can and they will re-install, as to not void the warranty.
    Last edited by rentprop1; 01-12-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling

UZI Talk Supporter
    I like the ar-15 carbine buffer tube adapters as then I can just swap the pistol brace between guns instead of having to have so many

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    I like the ar-15 carbine buffer tube adapters as then I can just swap the pistol brace between guns instead of having to have so many
    but you look like " gump " at the range

UZI Talk Supporter
    Truth.

I didn't read any of the other posts but my personal CP33 was a pile of crap that jammed and misfired continuously, sent it for repair and sold it. I've transferred a few others and have had 1 report from a customer that theirs was garbage too and they've sent it back for repair as well. Friends don't let friends buy Kel-Tec...

Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    I didn't read any of the other posts but my personal CP33 was a pile of crap that jammed and misfired continuously, sent it for repair and sold it. I've transferred a few others and have had 1 report from a customer that theirs was garbage too and they've sent it back for repair as well. Friends don't let friends buy Kel-Tec...
    ...and this is where guys will swear that their Keltecs have never jammed in all the years they've owned them.
    (even though they only pull them out to shoot once every other year and are too embarrassed to admit they do jam every time. But hey, their futuristic gun looks really cool and that's all that matters.)

I have heard that some Keltecs will come out of production without any hiccups and run smooth. This just proves that miracles CAN happen.

I probably would have been more likely to give it another chance had I not had the exact same issues with my personal PMR 30 and CMR 30 a few years ago and seen the same issues from various other customer's guns. The only Kel-Tecs that I've been remotely pleased with have been the Sub2ks, never had any issues with mine or any customers' guns.

Quote Originally Posted by deadduck View Post
    ...and this is where guys will swear that their Keltecs have never jammed in all the years they've owned them.
    (even though they only pull them out to shoot once every other year and are too embarrassed to admit they do jam every time. But hey, their futuristic gun looks really cool and that's all that matters.)

I have heard that some Keltecs will come out of production without any hiccups and run smooth. This just proves that miracles CAN happen.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by deadduck View Post

Like i said, I havent had mine jam but once when i first had rimlock and with the eley match garbage. I carried it in my vehicle every day last summer and used it on the gophers alongside my gravel road every day... normally use my 12 ga but hard finding #5 for it last year.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I gotta say, it seems a gen1 keltec product is a dicey proposition. PMR30 had issues KS7 had issues, these may have issues. PF9 i think even had issues gen 1. The Sub 2000 is on it's 3rd or 4th itteration at this point. Kel-tec is the top innovator though, no matter what you can't take that away from them. I'd like to hear a story from someone with one of these basket case kel-tec products that really gave the warranty a workout. It's always, "it was junk and I sold it" or, "it was junk, I sent it in, and then sold it".

I started having malfunctions with my PF9 and was so convinced it had to be a quality problem I almost mailed it in, then I realized I was hitting the mag release with my hand while firing. Guns never misfired since through a few hundreds of rounds so far.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 02-01-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Agree with others saying keep the Ruger. It's a quality handgun.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Keep the Ruger and buy some extra magazines then have her practice shooting and mag changes. If after ten rounds she needs to shoot more then the situation probably won't be solved by any amount of 22LR ammo. Do you really trust those quad stacked, single feed magazines with rimmed ammo?

Better yet, get her a 20 gauge pump gun for home defense.

+ Reply to Thread