UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How many mags?

The question as I understand it is how many mags should you have for a defensive rifle, not how many mags do you have in your load out or can use before you are killed. First off, if I was planning on getting killed I wouldn't be needing a rifle or mags, I'd already be outa there.

As I said, with mag and rifle bans a very real possibility, I figure what I currently have is all I will ever be able to get. My guns may never be fired in anger but who knows about my great grandchildren that inherit them. Therefore my mindset is "lifetime of the rifle supply" if I can afford it. Minimum just to keep the gun in the fight for a reasonable amount of time is 10 magazines, so if they are on the expensive side I would try for 20, a spare for each of the primaries. If they are cheap like aluminum AR mags are now, I'd go at least 30, 2 spares for each. AR mags are not known for durability.

Now my G3/HK91 clone has about 75, Tapco had a clearance sale on "slightly rusty" steel mags in 50 packs for a buck each back in the day. Most cleaned up with oil and some rubbing, the rest with a quick blast and paint job. Most of the others are their $2 Al ones. If they hadn't sold out I would have had another 50 steel, if you find a killer deal on magazines buy them if you can afford them even if you figure you have enough. Like anything else, magazine prices rarely go down, Al Hk mags are now $7 and the steels go for $9-20 each depending on condition. Used, you don't even want to know what new ones go for... If I had a few more of the 50 packs with a little labor I would be making at least a $450 profit per box, likely more.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Load out, lifetime. Two different things.

6 in pouches and one in the gun are far different than 7 mags total for a lifetime.

I’ve got a dozen 50round zmags that will never be loaded, plenty of shooters and what about PAM2 mags sitting in great shape never fitted to the gun? Bought 6 of them just to have.

Different M16 mags based on .556 or subsonic .300blk. You don’t shoot them all.

Perhaps the original post should be revised.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I, as most of us, have a few dozen mags for the majority of firearms I own. Having said that, even if things go bad, more than 15 mags and 4 firearms per person in a single location is too many. I don't live in an impregnable fortress, and I'm willing to bet not many people do. In real life, you're gonna have to be mobile, and too many mags (or guns, or crates of ammo, or bottles of water,etc) stored in a single location is at best foolish; at worst, it simply provides the enemy with an easy supply of goods.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I have a ten magazine minimum for anything I shoot regularly. I feel better getting closer to 20. Use the ten, keep others new as spares. Living through a magazine ban, paying a premium for any mag over 10 rounds... that will make you a hoarder. Ask me how I know.
    I haven't gotten crazy about getting 50 for one gun, but I am like you in that I do get them for every gun I buy. Not trying to be in another situation where I woulda coulda shoulda. Spend some time brainstorming what actual "Defensive" scenarios could happen. If someone is robbing you and you use a firearm to stop it that is one thing, if you're facing a roving mob or armed group, you are in a really bad situation. If you shoot at them, they will likely flee but you are now a marked location.

If they return, they will either be using a long range bolt action and waiting for you to peek out the window, or somehow lighting your house on fire. in SHTF, you're all pooping in the outhouse, and that makes you extremely vulnerable to long range. Good luck convincing your wife to poop in a steel can and burn it on the roof or something. In all cases the best idea is to not ever have to use those firearms if you can help it. If you get attacked by an armed group, your chances of surviving the encounter are poor, and your aftermath has to include either turning that property into a fortress which is very expensive in both time and labor for setup and maintenance, or re-locating.

Best case is being in a community that is defensive in mindset. 3 mags in every house in your neighborhood would be so much better than 30 at your house. It's the same idea behind why California bank robbers have longer careers than Texas bank robbers. The distributed nature of individual armed and trained defenders is what makes Texas safer, not one individual, so try and adopt that mindset where possible. If that mad max looking roving band is spotted 2 miles out and starts getting shot at 300 yards away from 5 different houses, you're going to do well. Vs if it's only you looking out your chances of spotting them are low, and all they have to do is interview anyone in your neighborhood under threat and they will tell all about you.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 01-18-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    Check out my Youtube channel

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Having lived through the magazine ban also I’m the wrong person to comment. Lol. I’m embarrassed to say my magazine stash.
    Agree.
    Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

UZI Talk Life Member
    At least 3 penthouses a couple of hustlers, and a pristine march 1986 Cheri.
    Last edited by Offmarksman; 01-21-2022 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Autocorrect misspelling

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offmarksman View Post
    At least 3 penthouses a couple of hustlers, and a pristine march 1986 Cherry…
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

Thanks for the helpful and interesting answers. To expand a bit, my original question is how many total mags do you have for your main defense rifle. Period. It is not how many mags in a bugout bag or belt or how many at a particular location or anything like that. Just total mags. The question has nothing to do with ammo. That's another story. The high-end answer on mags seems to be about 30.

Chili17

I'm with you on that. I used to think the more the better, but now I'm not sure what a prudent but total supply is for a main battle rifle.

UZI Talk Life Member
    for defense, in a stay put situation, you need all the mags. now, its a different story if you need to move. what can you carry? what else do you need to carry?

zipakna, good points, but regardless of whether you move or not or number of encounters with adversaries, how many mags (total number) have you set aside for your main defense/battle rifle?

UZI Talk Life Member

6-8 is good (per)

I have more for the guns I have 3 or 4 examples of.

For just plinking/casual use firearms I go for a baker's dozen (13). For pricier magazines buy when on sale as deals present themselves.

For hypothetical contingencies resembling "combat" more is needed. In Afghanistan and Iraq I've carried as many as 12 additional magazines when in smaller unit operations. Remembering that even under ideal combat conditions magazines are expendables with both losses and damaged to be expected. I am not commenting on the real necessity of such preparation here beyond do what your conscience dictates.

Admittedly I am more surprised with those who only have less than 10 magazines than those who have "gazilions" ; ) given historical politics regarding them.

Considering this Forums namesake "Uzi" and the price of admission to the NFA SMG club, having fifty or more magazines after spending $10,000+ for the firearm; particularly with magazines available under $10 in bulk, doesn't seem like too much a expense in that context for what could be a multi-generational heirloom.

Anyone see the price of magazines (or ammunition) getting cheaper?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Bolt View Post

I can't speak for magazines, but common ammunition calibers such as 9mm Parabellum are slowly coming down in price. I think supply chain disruptions, as well as commodity prices will keep prices elevated for some time. Some of the large U.S. ammunition manufacturers are now operating 24/7, but their backorders are extreme. Hopefully in the next year or so we will begin to see a surplus of ammunition develop which will drive the prices down.
    Last edited by brenbuilds; 01-26-2022 at 11:54 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    For just plinking/casual use firearms I go for a baker's dozen (13). For pricier magazines buy when on sale as deals present themselves.

For hypothetical contingencies resembling "combat" more is needed. In Afghanistan and Iraq I've carried as many as 12 additional magazines when in smaller unit operations. Remembering that even under ideal combat conditions magazines are expendables with both losses and damaged to be expected. I am not commenting on the real necessity of such preparation here beyond do what your conscience dictates.

Admittedly I am more surprised with those who only have less than 10 magazines than those who have "gazilions" ; ) given historical politics regarding them.

Considering this Forums namesake "Uzi" and the price of admission to the NFA SMG club, having fifty or more magazines after spending $10,000+ for the firearm; particularly with magazines available under $10 in bulk, doesn't seem like too much a expense in that context for what could be a multi-generational heirloom.

Mags, no way. Seems like this is a golden age of magazines with logs of high quality options abounding, and still some cheap surplus. For sure if you want uzi mags you should stack em deep. In the sandbox would you guys literally leave mags in the field if they were emptied?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    In the sandbox would you guys literally leave mags in the field if they were emptied?
    Situational dependent, you don't leave them intentionally, but your life is worth more than a magazine.

A tactical reload you switch a partial mag for a full mag in a lull and/or under cover and retain partial for latter use.

A combat reload you have run the mag dry and need immediate replacement to continue fight,retaining mag only if safe to do so.

Finally policing area for spent magazines when safely possible after action.

I've seen people risk their life by falling into training scars produced from always picking up spent magazines while training.

The reality is you will lose magazines in combat.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Situational dependent, you don't leave them intentionally, but your life is worth more than a magazine.

A tactical reload you switch a partial mag for a full mag in a lull and/or under cover and retain partial for latter use.

A combat reload you have run the mag dry and need immediate replacement to continue fight,retaining mag only if safe to do so.

Finally policing area for spent magazines when safely possible after action.

I've seen people risk their life by falling into training scars produced from always picking up spent magazines while training.

The reality is you will lose magazines in combat.
    Thanks for your knowledge and especially your service. Need any mags?

After the obama ammo/mag famine, I decided to acquire a lifetime supply of ammo and mags for my favorite guns, 9mm, 22lr, Grendel and a couple others and leaning heavy into reloading supplies, im not there yet but probably can survive several left wing presidential terms, no offense to Biden fans. Just want to keep enjoying my hobbie without the “out of stock” fever getting to severe

Open Bolt,

Your responses are reasoned and spot on. Yes, talking about the realities of combat, situational awareness, magazines in a fire fight zone, and losing mags is a different take on magazine talk. I don't consider 50 mags or so for a go-to or main battle rifle to be excessive.

+ Reply to Thread