UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: How many mags?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfoster223 View Post
    After the obama ammo/mag famine, I decided to acquire a lifetime supply of ammo and mags for my favorite guns, 9mm, 22lr, Grendel and a couple others and leaning heavy into reloading supplies, im not there yet but probably can survive several left wing presidential terms, no offense to Biden fans. Just want to keep enjoying my hobbie without the “out of stock” fever getting to severe
    This plus consider the possibility of availability even if they aren't banned. Will you always be able to get mags for your Wilkinson Linda, Terry, or Diane? How about your M11-9 Lage 22? The Grand Power Stribog that you just bought and takes it's own unique magazine (yes, they did just announce a Glock mag version). Such firearms are useless without their magazines and if production of those magazines ever stops the prices will soon go places that you don't want to think about (I recall $100 for crappy 30 round aftermarket Ruger 10/22 mags during the ten year magazine ban).

Yes, we should continue buying mags while we can to shore up if needed. The previous mag ban brings back painful thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    This plus consider the possibility of availability even if they aren't banned. Will you always be able to get mags for your Wilkinson Linda, Terry, or Diane? How about your M11-9 Lage 22? The Grand Power Stribog that you just bought and takes it's own unique magazine (yes, they did just announce a Glock mag version). Such firearms are useless without their magazines and if production of those magazines ever stops the prices will soon go places that you don't want to think about (I recall $100 for crappy 30 round aftermarket Ruger 10/22 mags during the ten year magazine ban).
    Yep, got a Steyr GB, GunSouth called me up in the late 80s and said they had just received the last ever batch of GB mags, how many did I want at $40 each. I bought 2 and thought I was getting ripped off. The last 2 I bought were a steal at $120 each, they now go for $200+.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Yep, got a Steyr GB, GunSouth called me up in the late 80s and said they had just received the last ever batch of GB mags, how many did I want at $40 each. I bought 2 and thought I was getting ripped off. The last 2 I bought were a steal at $120 each, they now go for $200+.
    Just spent half an hour reading about the styre GB. Now I want one.
    Check out my Youtube channel

unlike some I don't hoard magazine for some fantastical end of the world scenario or some "going south into a destabilizing situation". I have enough mags for each firearm where I don't have to buy another one to replace one that fails. typically, 5-6 mags per firearm..........and I have yet to throw away a magazine that became unserviceable in the past 20+ years
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 01-31-2022 at 01:41 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Just spent half an hour reading about the styre GB. Now I want one.
    Not to hijack the thread but you'll like the Steyr GB. Fixed barrel so it runs well with a suppressor.

Name:  Steyr GB.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  63.1 KB

it’s in that cool category of handguns - double stack & double feed magazines

Regarding magazine wear and tear.

If you have never worn out a magazine, I suspect either you don't shoot much (relatively speaking) or (less likely) your firearm choices are limited to ones with particularly robust magazines.

I dislike the seemingly "disposable" attitude prevalent in today's society. So I prefer to replace worn components when possible. Typically this is replacing springs, though in my experience springs last longer today than say 40+ years ago. I suspect better manufacturing processes and materials.

With this in mind I keep spare magazine parts with my firearm specific parts.

I've recently replaced a synthetic follower in a pistol magazine that had worn a groove in the hold open portion preventing slide lock. While this was after many (estimated) thousands of rounds through that particular magazine, I suspect that the synthetic material had a flaw since other followers with similar round counts show no wear.

I also have a selection of magazines that are prone to malfunctions (identified by a orange paint band) that I slip into my training routine for clearance practice. After decades of professional firearms use old habits are hard to break when compared to typical hobby use.

All of my magazines are numbered to help identify problem magazines as issues develop.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I mean we are using coffin mags, suomi drums, and sten mages from 80 years ago that went through actual warfare and lots and lots of training, so yea metal mags should be able to last.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 02-02-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Bolt View Post
    Regarding magazine wear and tear.

If you have never worn out a magazine, I suspect either you don't shoot much (relatively speaking) or (less likely) your firearm choices are limited to ones with particularly robust magazines.

well, it's very well likely that the mags I have are robust mags; USGI 20 round M16 mags that were made probably before you were born with the original spring and it perfectly functional as when it was new........along with AK mags; 7.62, 5.45, 5.56, FAL, G3, MP5,USGI M911, M1 Carbine, TT33, PPSH and SUOMI drums, PPS43, Makarov. M11(COBRAY) and a few other military mags............so yeah, I would say they are very robust mags. .

I never needed to replace the springs, followers in any of them and the bodies are all good to go, despite the abuse they have been subject to

I tend to stay as far away from plastic mags....unless there is no choice because there are no metal mags for that gun, ie. HK USP pistol mags, AR drum, 5.45 AK drum
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 02-02-2022 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Billy View Post
    ...USGI 20 round M16 mags that were made probably before you were born...
    It's cool you think I am so young, but you're incorrect. Though I am unsure of the value such a statement adds to this discussion.

I am glad you have had the good fortune of such robust magazines.

This hasn't been my experience either personally or professionally and I stand by my previous posts in this discussion forum.

It's cool you think I am so young, but you're incorrect. Though I am unsure of the value such a statement adds to this discussion.
    my mags are more then 5 decades old with the original spring, follower and they function perfectly.....that is the "value of my statement to the discussion" of the robustness of my mags.......and I know I have other mags that are much older than you in the same original condition that functions without any issue...unless you happen to be over 100

I am older than your M16 magazines, however unlike people the age has absolutely nothing to do with.magazine wear and tear.

What is most applicable is the number functional cycles the magazine has experienced. Actual use, material design, and environmental conditions affect long-term wear.

Sitting on a shelf the magazine will not deteriorate assuming a stable enviroment.

I really do not understand your apparent insistence that magazines can not wear out.

Is this some kind of miscommunication or is it really your assertion that magazines can not wear to the point of negatively effecting function?

UZI Talk Supporter
    I am older than your M16 magazines, however unlike people the age has absolutely nothing to do with.magazine wear and tear.

What is most applicable is the number functional cycles the magazine has experienced. Actual use, material design, and environmental conditions affect long-term wear.

Sitting on a shelf the magazine will not deteriorate assuming a stable enviroment.

I really do not understand your apparent insistence that magazines can not wear out.

Is this some kind of miscommunication or is it really your assertion that magazines can not wear to the point of negatively effecting function?
    Sitting on a shelf I'd bet plastic can wear over time, probably does worse if there are solvents or UV damage happening. Battlefield Vegas says they get amazing round counts out if usgi M16 mags

+ Reply to Thread