UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mac 11 weld kit + Flux Core welder

Mac 11 weld kit + Flux Core welder

Hi!

I have a mac 11 lower weld kit and I also have a titanium easy flux 125 flux core stick welder. Will this welder make a strong lower? I don't care much about looks and I can always grind down the stage.

Thanks!

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I mean you can, flux core would not be my first choice though
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

I've welded a lot of mig, tig, and stick, and I own both mig and tig machines. I would never use stick for that task.

TIG preferably but if you can't then hardwire MIG (with gas)

The welder should be fine, it will be your skill using the welder , make sure you use the proper heat setting to get a good deep weld.

macguy

UZI Talk Life Member
    It's not the welder. Go slowly. Allow the head to dissipate between welds. Prep well. clean, tac, repeat. Be sure to control the heat.

The welder specified in the OP is not a stick welder, it's a Harbor Freight DC Inverter Wire feed welder, essentially a MIG that uses flux core wire without the gas. Other than making a lot more spatter and a not so pretty bead an experienced welder can make good welds with one. It should work fine, just be careful and have everything jigged up and clamped so you get it right the first time! And tack opposite sides well before running the full bead to avoid the parts shifting from the heating and cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    The welder specified in the OP is not a stick welder, it's a Harbor Freight DC Inverter Wire feed welder, essentially a MIG that uses flux core wire without the gas. Other than making a lot more spatter and a not so pretty bead an experienced welder can make good welds with one. It should work fine, just be careful and have everything jigged up and clamped so you get it right the first time! And tack opposite sides well before running the full bead to avoid the parts shifting from the heating and cooling.
    Yeah, flux core would suck for this. Definitely doable, but I would definitely seek other options. Or do a LOT of practicing first. Hobart sells a spray that you hit your parts with first and there is a lot less spatter.

+ Reply to Thread