UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 4 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Your MAX-11A1/15 is ready!

That "Forgotten Weapons" video of the MAX-11A1/15 would be a lot more interesting with Ian (who is left handed) shooting with one of these OOBs. His initial commentary would probably have to have been bleeped out.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Technically, these are not out of battery detonations. The bolt is locked (in battery) at the time of the failure. The bolt is seized forward with the extractor bent outward, locked into the barrel extension, again, evidence that the bolt was locked. The over pressure in the bolt carrier causes it to fail, like any other AR bolt carrier, and it splits along the magazine grooves on the bottom. This causes downward pressure on the magazine and the bullets in it, usually blowing out the magazine or the guts of the magazine out of the bottom. Parts of the bolt carrier group do not fly out of the gun.
    Richard Lage
    Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    www.max-11.com

Range report: Took several PMags filled with Lake City green tip out today with my stock 11/15a1.

Zero failures. Ran like a beast. Demolished some water jugs @ 50 yds. Nailed steel targets with ease. A mag of 55gr Lake City also gave zero problems.

One interesting note: We had a Troy polymer mag lying around, and it ran faster than the PMags. Comparing both (in my upper), the Troy mag sits slightly higher, and the ammo is aligned slightly higher on the feed ramps of the barrel ext. It appears the rounds chambered with slightly less resistance from the Troy.

We also used RemOil today, which is far thinner than the Castrol I broke the upper in with. I will use RemOil in the Lage uppers from here on out.

Regardless, hundreds of 5.56 green tips down-range with zero hiccups today! Quite the rush. We also shot 9mm from the Max 11a1 mkii upper, via 30-rd Zmags. No failures.

Richard Lage makes some absolutely killer gear. I'll be grabbing new internals and some 9mm barrels from Lage as soon as I can.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I sent my damaged upper to Richard and he sent me back a beautiful reconditioned upper. I can't say enough good things about his generosity and helpfulness. Thank you Richard!

The brass from the Max-11A1/15 was much cleaner compared to the brass from the other AR15s at the table. It was %100 perfect.

I sure did miss this thing while it was back in AZ. I'm glad Richard was able to return it better than I expected. Great product, great service.
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-03-2022 at 05:49 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I shot 920 rounds today. It ran perfectly. I'm going to test the 18" barrel next week.

UZI Talk Life Member

Lage is the gold standard in quality products and customer service. I have a bunch of their products and have never once regretted a single purchase. It’s impressive to say the least. I believe it is also why M11s are going for close to uzi prices.

UZI Talk Life Member
    After this morning, I have 2K+ rounds through the new upper with the 10.5" and 20" barrels. It has been running 100% reliable. I'm going to try to install the QRB Cry Havoc system again for testing next weeked.
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-02-2022 at 06:12 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    After this morning, I have 2K+ rounds through the new upper with the 10.5" and 20" barrels. It has been running 100% reliable. I'm going to try to install the QRB Cry Havoc system again for testing next weeked.
    What mags have you been running? PMAGS and 30 round Colt mags have been 100^% reliable in mine, but Beta c-Mags are no go. They cannot keep up with the ROF. The first round fires fine, but the next round noses into the mag tower, seriously setting the bullet back into the case.

Anyone else have C-Mag experiences to report? I'll be trying a Surefire 60 round box mag, and a PMAG D-60 soon. Thoughts about these?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Anyone else have C-Mag experiences to report? I'll be trying a Surefire 60 round box mag, and a PMAG D-60 soon. Thoughts about these?
    I'm waiting on my number for the Max11/15. I have a Beta Mag, so I'll be trying that out.

I'm planning to get the ARRM version, so I should be able to run it pretty slow if needed.

UZI Talk Life Member

Beta-C mags must be dry and I would do graphite two or three times during the loading process most every time that I load the mag. I would highly recommend a LULA loader. It is much easier on the feed tower. The stripper clip loader beats on the plastic feed lips of the tower. Once the inside of the feed lips get worn, double feeds are much more likely. I have never had a problem with the Beta-C keeping up when it was clean and had plenty of graphite.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    What mags have you been running?
    I've been using 30 rd aluminum. Pmags, Lancer and an Armatac drum. I would like to get a D-60 mag.

Be very careful with bullet setbacks. A bullet setback led to over pressure and blew my Max-11A1/15 carrier.

After the repair of my Max-11A1/15, it was working perfectly. I'm confident the damage to the carrier was done by over pressure due to bullet set backs from too light a crimp on the ammo. I also think the light primer strikes I was having was due to a problem with original carrier. The problem did not disappear with changing the bolt and firing pin on the original carrier. With the replacement of the new carrier, all problems with inconsistencies and light primer strikes disappeared.
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-09-2022 at 12:48 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    Beta-C mags must be dry and I would do graphite two or three times during the loading process most every time that I load the mag. I would highly recommend a LULA loader. It is much easier on the feed tower. The stripper clip loader beats on the plastic feed lips of the tower. Once the inside of the feed lips get worn, double feeds are much more likely. I have never had a problem with the Beta-C keeping up when it was clean and had plenty of graphite.

Scott
    Thanks for your guidance. I opened the brand new mag and dusted its guts with molybdenum disulfide powder. Too many years of experience maintaining things operating in salt water, so I cannot bear to put carbon (graphite) anywhere near aluminum. Galvanic corrosion is an ugly thing.

I've been using 30 rd aluminum. Pmags, Lancer and an Armatac drum. I would like to get a D-60 mag.

Be very careful with bullet setbacks. A bullet setback led to over pressure and blew my Max-11A1/15 carrier.
    The P-Mags and aluminum mags, 20 and 30 round varieties, work great. The D-60 is loaded and ready to go for the next range trip. Boy, loading that thing is arduous. I am thinking about cutting up a polymer 80 and locking it in a vise so I can plug in the D-60 for easier loading.

I try to be very aware of setback, catching it in time in the past. This pic is from the other day. Boy, am I glad I checked, rather than letting those two (flanked by normal rounds) ram home and lit off. I saw your pics in the other thread, WOW. Glad you're OK.

Name:  Bullet setback.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  166.0 KB

I have a D60 that runs great in a 11/15 so far. Total PITA to load for sure though. Most people that I let load it themselves give up way before it gets anywhere close to 60 rounds.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Anyone know if you can use a MagPump to load D-60 drums?

UZI Talk Life Member
    You can, but it starts to dent the rounds before you can completely fill the magazine. About 2/3rds full.
    Richard Lage
    Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    www.max-11.com

UZI Talk Life Member

Lightbulb

I've had a couple of weekends now to play with the Cry Havoc Tactical Quick Release Barrel system. I preferred the Cry Havoc over the DOLOS or LEO quick detach barrel system because there was no springs to wear out or slump from the heat of FA. The Cry Havoc syste muses a caming action to keep the barrel tight.

I Installed the Cry Havoc QRB on three barrels:

10.5" 5.56 barrel
    20" 5.56 barrel
    8.5" 300 black barrel

I shot about 550 rounds with the 5.56 barrels. I had 0 failures

I needed to open the Ballistics Advantage 20" barrel gas port to .1" to run with a dedicated barrel reliably.
    I needed to open the gas port to .105" to run the QRB system reliably. I'm sure this is due to gas leaking in the 2 piece gas tube of the Cry Havoc QRB system.

I shot 300 rounds with the 300 Blackout on the standard Lage recoil spring and had 1 light primer hit. I will try the Lage extra power spring for 300 BO next time as past experiences have proven it works more reliably.

The Cry Havoc QRB system has been working perfectly. The 20" barrel runs at about 700 RPM and is the softest and quietest configuration. With a MG42 tripod or a bipod, it's my favorite configuration.

The QRB system also makes cleaning AR barrels and the Max-11A1/15 upper much easier.
    I would recommend the Cry Havoc QRB system for the Max-11A1/15.

I think I'm about ready to start playing with a 22LR kit. I may need another locking plate for the 4.5" 22LR barrel.
    I would also explore a 45 acp barrel if high capacity 45 mags for the AR are available.
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-09-2022 at 04:16 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've had a couple of weekends now to play with the Cry Havoc Tactical Quick Release Barrel system.

I Installed the Cry Havoc QRB on three barrels:

10.5" 5.56 barrel
    20" 5.56 barrel
    8.5" 300 black barrel

I shot about 550 rounds with the 5.56 barrels. I had 0 failures

I needed to open the Ballistics Advantage 20" barrel gas port to .1" to run with a dedicated barrel reliably.
    I needed to open the gas port to .105" to run the QRB system reliably. I'm sure this is due to gas leaking in the 2 piece gas tube of the Cry Havoc QRB system.

I shot 300 rounds with the 300 Blackout on the standard Lage recoil spring and had 1 light primer hit. I will try the Lage extra power spring for 300 BO next time as past experiences have proven it works more reliably.

The Cry Havoc QRB system has been working perfectly. The 20" barrel runs at about 700 RPM and is the softest and quietest configuration. With a MG42 tripod or a bipod, it's my favorite configuration.

The QRB system also makes cleaning AR barrels and the Max-11A1/15 upper much easier.
    I would recommend the Cry Havoc QRB system for the Max-11A1/15.

I think I'm about ready to start playing with a 22LR kit. I may need another locking plate for the 4.5" 22LR barrel.
    I would also explore a 45 acp barrel if high capacity 45 mags for the AR are available.
    Thanks for the update on the Cry Havoc!

Looking forward to seeing your progress with the .22 kit!!!

UZI Talk Life Member

For .45 using a standard magwell, I would look into the https://maconarmory.com/product/45ac...l-adapter-kit/ Macon Armory magwell plus magazine kit. Most milspec .45 magazines are too wide to fit into a standard AR magwell. Macon Armory development and had made a steel magazine and magwell adapter that will fit a standard AR magwell. The downside is that the magazine has a 20 rd capacity. They do make two different mag height versions.

MVB Industries makes a blowback height adapter https://ar15tactical.com/mvb-industr...gwell-adaptor/ for HK UMP style magazine. There are up to 25 rd capacity UMP magazines. The limiting factor is the width of the AR magwell. Most limitations of mag capacities are 30 rds. Even 25 rds starts you off with a big disadvantage of capacity at a subgun match. So is 20 or 25 rd capacity high enough?

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    25 rounds of 45 is good for me.

I was hoping someone made a 45 conversion for AR15 mags like CMMG does for 9mm. How many 45 acp rounds can 40 rd Magpul mag hold?

Did anyone test 45 acp with the Max-11/15?
    Last edited by strobro32; 10-10-2022 at 06:11 AM.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    25 rounds of 45 is good for me.

I was hoping someone made a 45 conversion for AR15 mags like CMMG does for 9mm. How many 45 acp rounds can 40 rd Magpul mag hold?

Did anyone test 45 acp with the Max-11/15?
    I did not try it in .45acp.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

+ Reply to Thread