UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lage upper fit question

Lage upper fit question

So I have a lage upper that doesn’t want to fit my M10. I have, and have used other lage uppers on this gun. I think the slits in the rear of the upper aren’t deep enough to allow full rear movement to locate.
    My question:
    Do mac uppers, particularly lage, rely on bearing up against the rear of the receiver to brace against rearward forces? Or does that all get done by the lug and front pin? Currently, The only front to rear contact at the rear is in that slit.

ETA: I am in contact with lage and they are being very communicative. I am not on an island. Just trying to learn.
    Last edited by Jtm35a2; 09-08-2022 at 08:22 PM.

UPDATE:
    Lage sent me some information on how to file the rear slit a little to fit the upper. That worked great. A little bit of filing at the rear of the slit and she nests in there nice and snug. But now the bolt drags, alot. It looks to be hitting the feed ramp…
    So do I clearance the bolt or the feed ramp?
    This upper has run on an almost exact copy of mine. I tend to think it’s my gun, not the upper.

Which upper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtm35a2 View Post
    So I have a lage upper that doesn’t want to fit my M10. I have, and have used other lage uppers on this gun. I think the slits in the rear of the upper aren’t deep enough to allow full rear movement to locate.
    My question:
    Do mac uppers, particularly lage, rely on bearing up against the rear of the receiver to brace against rearward forces? Or does that all get done by the lug and front pin? Currently, The only front to rear contact at the rear is in that slit.

ETA: I am in contact with lage and they are being very communicative. I am not on an island. Just trying to learn.
    My steel upper I forced in

My mk2 I had to file down the ears to fit under the hood. The hood of the lower has welds that prevent it from fitting

If you could zip
    The welds
    A little that would
    Be ideal.

Ok. So more tips from Richard. I lightly reprofiled the leading edge of the bolt bottom and side. It was rubbing the center of the feed ramp and a little on the right ear of the feed ramp. All is good. Will test it out tomorrow. Mk2 45 upper. I would post pics, but it keeps telling me that my images are too big

Just for reference, is this a J.A.W.S. or a late-production SWD TX-built MAC? My TX MAC, built by SWD in late '84 would not accept ANY uppers except the original TX upper, or an older side-charging upper. The SWD upper actually sat slightly higher in the lower, allowing normal mags to function 100%. The side-charger required a slight polish of the feed lips for mags to fully function, AND it had a very high ROF compared to the OEM upper.

The Max10 Mk1 upper I had required slight filing. The Mk2 upper required even more. Both then ran 100%, luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by M10 View Post
    Just for reference, is this a J.A.W.S. or a late-production SWD TX-built MAC? My TX MAC, built by SWD in late '84 would not accept ANY uppers except the original TX upper, or an older side-charging upper. The SWD upper actually sat slightly higher in the lower, allowing normal mags to function 100%. The side-charger required a slight polish of the feed lips for mags to fully function, AND it had a very high ROF compared to the OEM upper.

The Max10 Mk1 upper I had required slight filing. The Mk2 upper required even more. Both then ran 100%, luckily.
    I'll answer this because I sold him the gun in question. :-)

It is an original Texas MAC. However, it has been completely rebuilt by Practical Solutions and has an Uzi mag conversion. It worked fine with a Lage Mk. II 9mm upper, a Lage MAX-10/31 upper, and several stock-type uppers.

I believe he has since gotten the fitting issues with the Mk. II 10/45 upper sorted out. My M10 is also a Texas gun but it is one that was SWD completed. It also has a PS Uzi conversion and it worked fine with the upper in question (I had it until recently). My M10 works fine with all the uppers we have tried. I suspect it was just some kind of tolerance stacking issue between the lower, upper, bolt, Uzi conversion, etc. Luckily JTM35A2 is "much better with tools" than I am.

UZI Talk Life Member

If the gun is a Uzi griped M10, when the upper was ordered, did you let Lage Manufacturing know that the upper was to be installed on Uzi griped gun? The Uzi grip places the mag higher than standard. The bolt must be clearanced for the higher sitting mag. Compare the bottom of the bolt of the original upper to the new bolt. As I recall the 9mm Uzi mags are double stack double feed, but the 45 Uzi mags are double stack, single feed. Are you using Uzi 45 mags with a Max-10/45 upper?

If you want 45, have the standard 45 grip installed to use grease gun mags. Uzi 45 mags are low capacity and are very expensive. I have two Uzi magwell conversion M10s (a redone Texas Mac and a RPB) that I run with 9mm Uzi mags. If I want 45 I have another RPB with the standard 45 grease gun magwell. Good luck with the project.

Scott

Took her out yesterday and she ran great. Even with the way less expensive promag 22 round. I did notice something that I hadn’t noticed with the 10/31 upper: selector wouldn’t stay in slow mode. After 2 shots it would be pointed down and it would be firing in fun mode. Maybe the extra recoil impulse from the 45? Not a huge deal, who buys a smg to shoot it in semi lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I'll answer this because I sold him the gun in question. :-)

It is an original Texas MAC. However, it has been completely rebuilt by Practical Solutions and has an Uzi mag conversion. It worked fine with a Lage Mk. II 9mm upper, a Lage MAX-10/31 upper, and several stock-type uppers.

I believe he has since gotten the fitting issues with the Mk. II 10/45 upper sorted out. My M10 is also a Texas gun but it is one that was SWD completed. It also has a PS Uzi conversion and it worked fine with the upper in question (I had it until recently). My M10 works fine with all the uppers we have tried. I suspect it was just some kind of tolerance stacking issue between the lower, upper, bolt, Uzi conversion, etc. Luckily JTM35A2 is "much better with tools" than I am.
    Mine was tx via ps rpb parts grip also

But the underside of the hood must not be squared. The mk2 upper I angle filed the slit to fit. The steel upper ďbentĒ a little (rounded off) and fit fine. Canít do that with aluminum.

I havenít fired the mk2 9 yet. If I do Iíll prob just swap the barrels and use the mk2/45 upper rather than modify that upper.

+ Reply to Thread