UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swed K loader for Uzi mags?

Swed K loader for Uzi mags?

Took the new to me full size Uzi out today for a test run. Mags were surprisingly difficult to load by hand. I guess I've been spoiled by the Suomi 36-rd sticks. Anyway, I looked up mag loaders and was happy to read the mag loader review on this site - it mentions that the Swed K / suomi stick speed loader will work. Cool. I pull out an Uzi mag and one of my Suomi speed loaders. Not even close. Am I missing some magical trick that makes the two compatible? If not, I would be very grateful to hear what is the current "best" mag loader for the Uzi.

Difficult to load mags are a pet peeve. A good "fix" would be great.

I also am wondering if you guys do anything to help dampen the Uzi's bouncy recoil? Speed it up a little? Wooden stock? It just seems like one description I read while searching today called it - "a mini jackhammer". Any input is again appreciated. Thanks!

here is what did to make a Swedish-K loader work to quickly load my MP5 and PPS-43 mags;

I cut the sides off the base of the loader, and took a strip of sheet metal and made a new base that will go over the top of the mag.

https://youtu.be/Wc68kbzBufg

and for my 7.62x25 PPS-43 mag, I cut off the front guard off, since the x25 rounds are a bit longer then x19

https://youtu.be/EGS1H8logbA
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-19-2022 at 02:23 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I used to use the C3 Rapid Loader which came with plastic holders. Those plastic holders would fall apart after a while. I then got some of Swedish ammo loaded on the metal clips and I don't think I've ever worn any of those out.

A lot of people like the Lula loader for UZI mags.

I pretty much just use the bounce technique 99% of the time.
    After you have like 5 or so rounds in the mag, just hold a round at the top with your thumb or finger and bounce the bottom of the mag on a hard surface and the inertia of rounds in the mag make it super easy to load.

I reload so I just dump my rounds into some container. I don't bother with inserting them into ammo boxes or any kind of clips. So using the bounce method is the fastest for me. The time it takes to take a round and stick it in a box or clip I could just load it by bouncing into the mag.

If you already own a Swedish K or Suomi, IMHO, you already have one of the smoothest shooting open bolt SMG's made and the UZI is going to be bouncy in comparison. I assume your UZI is a full auto open bolt right?
    I do not like the UZI's in closed bolt as there is nothing to 'delay' the bolt in the closed bolt UZI's so you feel that initial recoil impulse. In open bolt you have the heavy bolt absorb that impulse.
    Assuming you have an open bolt, many like to add a buffer in the back to increase the cyclic rate which some say smooths it out for them.
    I personally like the cyclic rate in it's stock form in the 600's and leave it the way it is.

Some also have gone to lightening the bolt but that is less common to see.

UZI Talk Supporter
    + 1 for the LULA loader for loading UZI magazines!

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferndog1 View Post
    + 1 for the LULA loader for loading UZI magazines!
    +2 for LULA loader, by far best way I've found, I use them for colt 9mm mags also and ar 15 and ak 47 also.

The early style IMI UZI speed loaders work great. Here's one in action.
    Just stack in the rounds and push down. No one-round-at-a-time stuff.
    Attached Images  

yeah, it would be nice if you could pre-load ammo on stripper clips then you would have something there

Hi Tomk,

It might not be a bad idea to check your recoil spring also. There is some good info in this thread:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...il+spring+test

There can be variation in recoil springs and that may contribute to how the Uzi feels while running.

Enjoy,

K2

Great suggestion. I will definitely check the spring / find a new spring for sale somewhere (open for recommendations). The gun was quite slow which would lend credence to the spring suggestion. Also looks like I need to exercise / lube the mags too. It is an original early IMI gun (pre sample). Thanks for the input!

Best loader made for the Uzi, the original IMI one. Used to be a pain to get the last 12 to 18 rounds in with it until I read a 30 plus year old article by Peter G Kokalis. He related that the factory loader was designed to be used with a second magazine to load rounds properly and with little effort. The second mag is used horizontally in the slot to push the rounds down, with the magazine being loaded placed on a hard surface vertically. Complete breeze and effortless, RIP Pete, you were a wealth of information.

IV1967, you are talking about the stamped metal with two finger spots on either side of the mag or the thing Jones has?

I was trying to load a brand new 45ACP Pro mag the other night and the Lula wasn't any help. They come with a significantly stiff spring.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I bought a bunch of these for no good reason and knew they would come in handy for something.
    Check out my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue01 View Post
    IV1967, you are talking about the stamped metal with two finger spots on either side of the mag or the thing Jones has?

I was trying to load a brand new 45ACP Pro mag the other night and the Lula wasn't any help. They come with a significantly stiff spring.
    The “stamped metal with two finger spots” works great with .45 mags. I’m talking about these.

You don’t shove straight down, as with 9mm. Rather, you press down the round in the mag so you can easily slide in the next round. Let up on the loader, and push the round the rest of the way in. Repeat.

Thanks to everyone that shared tips. I put in a new mainspring, put on a wood stock, added a pistol grip forearm, loaded mags with my new Lula loader and...happy camper. The gun shot much smoother. Mag loading is a cinch. Big improvements. Thanks again.

Now I'm mulling over suppressor vs threaded barrel choices and researching topcovers for red dots. Not sure if the topcover rail / red dot is seen as a big improvement but it should beat the flip peep sight.

UZI Talk Life Member
    ECS rifle loader - simply the best (I’ve tried about everything)
    Only downside is needs ammo still in a box for fast pickup
    and best yet, works on almost all mags!
    Just Google it on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/rQo2H6WU7v0

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    The early style IMI UZI speed loaders work great. Here's one in action.
    Just stack in the rounds and push down. No one-round-at-a-time stuff.
    These work great. They're small, light, easy to transport. Buy half a dozen of them. 5 rounds at a time. Push them down with a screw driver held horizontally .

+ Reply to Thread