UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a MAC Belt Fed?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up to $3,000

10 20.41%
  • $3,000 - $5,000

29 59.18%
  • $5,000- $7500

7 14.29%
  • $7,500 - $10,000

3 6.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poll: What would you pay for a belt fed?

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Hence the phrase, "You own a machine gun, you marry a belt fed."
    Man, I can understand that. Even belt fed kits are $$$ more than most anything mag fed. I'm $700 deep into just a barrel for my UK59.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    The thing I want more than anything else not on the market right now would be an am180 upper
    I'm here but but I would want the ROF at 700-800 RPM and be side eject so I could check FTFs and clear jams faster.

I don't know if I would buy a BF Mac upper.

UZI Talk Life Member

Speaking from a manufacturing point of view, I find it is all about desiging using off the shelf parts. A custom part that must be designed, machined (in small batches), and possibly heat treated tends to be ten to twenty times that of the OTS part cost. So a AM-180 bolt that is designed to feed from the top but eject to the side could be twice the cost of what is already on the market.

This was the whole point for me developing the Tenko adapter. Most any upper that can function with the M16 can function with the Tenko. Everything from .22lr kits to belt fed systems that are available for the M16 could be used with the Tenko. The Mac style receiver market is small. But if it can grow faster using accessories for another firearm, I feel that would be good for the entire Mac style receiver family.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would not buy one, Iíd build it. Iíd use a modified Mac upper, an 80% AR lower, and two slide plates. Belt fed upper and you only need one original part- a specialized bolt. Not very different from my 12 gauge upper construction.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I would not buy one, I’d build it. I’d use a modified Mac upper, an 80% AR lower, and two slide plates. Belt fed upper and you only need one original part- a specialized bolt. Not very different from my 12 gauge upper construction.
    No Legal expert, but pretty sure the ar lower would be deemed an illegal machine gun.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Would you pick up your 80% receiver at an FFL to undergo a background check?

UZI Talk Life Member
    The 80% would need machine work to function as an intermediary and that final product is what’s up for technical interpretation.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobis View Post
    Wow!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Hadn’t even considered that part of it, but the new receiver definitions might make it illegal too.

If the Tenko adapter can
    Be considered a machinegun by itself, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that a contraption that you “built” out of components you have plasma cut at your makers space through the library attached to an 80% receiver by some dude at a small machine shop will pass the muster of the nfa, but then again, I don’t have your gunsmithing and legal expertise. Good Luck

UZI Talk Life Member

The Tenko was determined to be a machinegun because the FATD used a vice bolted to a table, an angle iron with an additional plate welded to it, held onto the rear of the adapter with a C-clamp, and various zip ties to hold parts in place. The Determination was that the adapter with an AR upper was a collection of parts which they got to fire automatically. We have changed the internal structures such that how they got it to fire can't happen.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    If Iím building it at home and not for retail sale, ďAll Those FuckersĒ donít really enter into the equation.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Scott,

I remember reading about the extent that the FATD went to to reject your adapter. I am hopeful that You will get it approved this time. I only brought up the Tenko as an example of how far they will go to determine something illegal.

Some of our newer members on the Forum may take the advice of one of our more Opinionated Members, and in turn potentially cause themselves legal problems by following that advice (which was given in such a matter of fact manner).

Since when?

The new rule (NOT LAW) states an 80% must go to and be serialized by a FFL when it is accompanied by a jig.

This rule has also been challenged and found unconstitutional by a Texas judge. Rightfully so as it is blatantly unconstitutional. Aft will just find another judge they can threaten or bribe.

Hmm, belt fed 22LR. Sounds fun and a PITA to load the belt!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    Since when?

The new rule (NOT LAW) states an 80% must go to and be serialized by a FFL when it is accompanied by a jig.

This rule has also been challenged and found unconstitutional by a Texas judge. Rightfully so as it is blatantly unconstitutional. Aft will just find another judge they can threaten or bribe.
    EXACTLY! Since never. You wouldnít because it was never a serialized firearm. So no problem making into an upper.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thought this over and you donít even need side plates. Just need to come up with the bolt. Anyone have a Shrike or other belt fed AR upper? If someone has one we can use for testing, Iíd build the prototype (see: collect parts, define specs and send to Sam for assembly).

A lot of these answers sound like they are coming from people that have never used a shoulder-fired beltfed. Hint: it's the coolest thing in the world.

As for the OP question- maybe $5k, or similar to an MCR.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CKxx View Post
    A lot of these answers sound like they are coming from people that have never used a shoulder-fired beltfed. Hint: it's the coolest thing in the world.

To me there is a weight verses controlability intersecting graft lines. Light weight really drives up the fun factor for me. The Valkyrie system I find so much more fun, off the shoulder, than a M249. Of course the 249 is designed for a return fire situation. I have never had return fire at a machinegun shoot (except when the steel targets at a subgun match were pock marked. Several competitors and ROs received cuts from back splashed copper jackets). A light duty belt conversion and a military grade belt fed machinegun are similar tools used for different applications. Would I want to go into harm's way with my Valkyrie belt fed in any of my various configurations? Absolutely not, but in a light carbine belt fed configuration, it is piles of fun off the shoulder. I think my S.A.B.R.E upper off the shoulder sucks and that is two pounds lighter than the SAW.

Scott
    Last edited by A&S Conversions; 10-02-2022 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by CKxx View Post

Meh, I don't do mag/belt dumps. Belts are more.of a pain in the ass to deal with. The primary reasons I have a bet fed is to say I have one and for other people to get the experience. I'd rather deal with mags. Easier to load the mags, easier to load the gun, takes up less space, doesn't get caught on things, etc.

I wouldn’t really be interested in one either. I have a MAX 31C just for the drums and I am not even sure I like those.
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread