UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless steal finish

UZI Talk Life Member

Stainless steal finish

I have a stainless steel .357 that has been sitting in the safe in a nylon holster for a while. When I got it out the other day the shiny finish was cloudy in several spots. It looks like the part of the gun touching the holster is what went from shiny to whitish cloudy. Anyone have experience with this or recommendations on how to bring back the shiny finish?

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Have you tried rubbing it with a dry rag?

I have a stainless mat finish revolver that got a bit of surface rust. I rubbed it with oil and steel wool and it removed all the blemishes without returning pitting. I would think that might be too abrasive for a shiny finish.

If it doesn't come off with light buffing, I'd try some polishing compound.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Life Member
    Try some Nevr-Dull. It's cotton with some metal polish in it. Works well on many surfaces.

When you are done with rubbing on it, wipe it with a paper towel to get the polish residue off.

UZI Talk Life Member

Makes me wonder about the Birchwood-Casey 'Lead Remover' polishing cloth. Might be the same as Nevr-Dull. In any case, the Birchwood Casey cloth does in fact remove lead and does not damage to the polished finish of a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. I would NEVER use it on a blued gun but for polished stainless it seems harmless.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member

Yeah tried wd40 and a rag. I’ll take a look at never dull. Thanks for the help.

UZI Talk Supporter
    2nd for Nev-r-dull. That stuff is great. If you do decide to try steel wool make sure it's 4 ought (0000). It's not real abrasive.

David

+ Reply to Thread