UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 51k in Florida? Pay to experiment w/ blue ammo

UZI Talk Life Member

51k in Florida? Pay to experiment w/ blue ammo

I bought a pallet of blue dag ammo and love running it in my ptr 91 full auto.

I wanna get a 51k running with this blue ammo. Eventually Iíll have ghilliebear make me my own 51k. However Iím not sure if itís physically possible and it would be stupid if I had him make a 51k and it canít run the ammo. As far as Iím aware I donít know of anyone getting one of to run with it either.

Can I bribe someone within 2 hours of Tampa to borrow their 51k? Iíll give you a thousand rounds of blue ammo. Or some 556 or something. Only thing I plan on modifying is my special blue dag bolt ONLY. I canít imagine this would take me more than one weekend and Iíll drive your gun back to you.

What do you guys think? Totally insane? Thanks!
    Beau

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post
    I bought a pallet of blue dag ammo and love running it in my ptr 91 full auto.

I wanna get a 51k running with this blue ammo. Eventually Iíll have ghilliebear make me my own 51k. However Iím not sure if itís physically possible and it would be stupid if I had him make a 51k and it canít run the ammo. As far as Iím aware I donít know of anyone getting one of to run with it either.

Can I bribe someone within 2 hours of Tampa to borrow their 51k? Iíll give you a thousand rounds of blue ammo. Or some 556 or something. Only thing I plan on modifying is my special blue dag bolt ONLY. I canít imagine this would take me more than one weekend and Iíll drive your gun back to you.

What do you guys think? Totally insane? Thanks!
    Beau
    My guess is that it'd work just fine. The powder charge of the DAG training ammo is small and seems to be very fast burning. I pretty much run the DAG blue training ammo exclusively in my registered sear 51 clone with zero issues. There's plenty of others who do the same. The "k" barrel is what, 3" shorter? I think it'd be fine.

The only issue I would foresee is you getting someone's 51k built by someone (other than Ghillie) and you chop your carrier assembly down to fit that...then Ghillie builds your 51k to his formula / specs.

The 51's (and 51k's) were never a cataloged HK product, so there is no specs / dimensions etched in stone. Every builder chopped the carrier assemblies differently and built them a little differently. When I sent my Training Bolt / Carrier assembly to Ghillie to have it chopped, he had me send the factory carrier assembly along with it, so he could get the dimensions correct, so the cocking handle levered / opened the gun properly.

I'd suggest you contact Ghillie directly on the front end of this...he's built a ton of 51k's and I bet he's already modified a training bolt / carrier assembly to work with the DAG blue training ammo. He can tell you 1st hand if it's viable or not for the 51k

Good Luck!
    hkg3k
    Browning, Maxim, Vickers
    Beltfeds: Real Machineguns

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks dude! Yes I’ve reached out to him, he’s never tried the 51k with blue ammo

UZI Talk Life Member
    Idk my wife would say 3” is pretty substantial difference! I don’t care if I have to hack up a couple bolts. I have several

It runs great in my 51k just cut down the bolt to the right length!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benaj View Post
    It runs great in my 51k just cut down the bolt to the right length!
    This was the answer I was looking for you. Thank you!!

It runs great in my ptr 51clone and the full size rifle . A lot of fun!

+ Reply to Thread