UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Are Tec-9's illegal now?

Are Tec-9's illegal now?

Out of idle curiousity, I have been looking on the net for one.

So far, I have been unable to find one for sale.

His internet search engine must be on a computer that is located in a Sunday school room.

But then again, I know of a guy who has owned a gun shop for over 30 years, and today I asked him if he knew anything specific about the Model 1896 Krag-Jorgensen Rifle........

"What's a Krag?"

UZI Talk Supporter
    I think they were $169 NIB in the 80-90's

Well! I feel like an idiot!

I mostly use google, so it's as much my fault.

Thank you guys for the links!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Endless Steven,

Dont waste your time & money ona Tec-9. Get a Semi Uzi www.vectorarms.com Or get a MPA 30 www.masterpiecarms.com
    I have a MPA 10 .45 that shoots great even with hollow points, and uses 30rd grease gun mags.

In this thread is a pic of my MPA 10 about half way down.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...&highlight=Mac

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

Well, I want an Uzi. I am saving my nickels and dimes.

I am in Beaumont, too! Maybe sometime we could meet up, and shoot!

UZI Talk Supporter
    P.M sent........
    Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

I have an AB-10 (post-ban tec 9) I will sell real cheap. Brand new in the case. Send me an IM if you are interested.

UZI Talk Life Member

Think before you do it. I bought one from a guy that bought used ones, stripped them, tuned them, nickel plated them, matched mags, and put out really nice packages. Everything nickel plated- receiver, bolt, firing pin, internals, even the springs !

Take a look at the pic.

It is a bling bling - maybe, almost. It turns heads at the range.
    Its pretty accurate, but has a fair number of FTFs and I already had the nickel plated firing pin end snap off. Had a tough time finding a replacement part.

Compared to an UZI, the TECs are JUNK. The sear and retainer are just CRAP. They do look cool (to some) and do have a history that makes them attractive as a collector's piece (why I bought mine). But they are so poorly made, I find it hard to believe the are a derivative of a military FA sub gun !

Think about why you want own one. For self defense, a gun you can bet your life will go bang when you need it to - uh uh.

As a collectors piece, wall hanger - sure. Why not ?

[IMG] [/IMG]

UZI Talk Supporter
    i have heard that a child can convert those in to full auto is it true ? (plz YES or NO only I don’t need details am jest cures if its true)

UZI Talk Life Member

No its not true. Tec-9s fire from a closed bolt. Converting one to FA basically requires machining an entirely new bolt, and some other things. A good machinist could do it but not a child.

The old KG-9s and KG-99s fired from an open bolt. They were relatively easy to convert - thus the ATF stopped their production many years ago. These days they are still around on auction boards but they command a high price.

I have read that the ATF even went so far as to define these open bolt KGs as machineguns (even though they only go bang once for each trigger pull), but they are not regulated like NFA Title II weapons, so it is a little confusing to me. Also, there are plenty of old MACs and such that fire semi auto only but from an open bolt. There manufacture was stopped also but I do not believe they are defined as machineguns. Open bolt semi-autos are somewhat of an enigma. Anybody wanna chime in here ?

Converting one to Full Auto is a VERY BIG NO NO.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The KG-99 is not an open bolt, it's the same as the TEC-DC-9, but it was made under the Interdynamic name.

Red face

Well, if the KG-99 are not open bolt, whcih "tec" was? There is a seller on Gunbroker that is trying to sell and open bolt TEC 9 bolt. It is orginal and I had thought that the first run of the TEC series was in fact an open bolt. They came out at the same time as the open semi MAcs, correct?

No, a chld cannot convert these, saying that implies that you have bought into some sort of media myth about firearms. I hope not...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Originally posted by lkblair
    Well, if the KG-99 are not open bolt, whcih "tec" was? There is a seller on Gunbroker that is trying to sell and open bolt TEC 9 bolt. It is orginal and I had thought that the first run of the TEC series was in fact an open bolt. They came out at the same time as the open semi MAcs, correct?

No, a chld cannot convert these, saying that implies that you have bought into some sort of media myth about firearms. I hope not...
    Like I say “I have heard” and that’s why am asking you these question and not those assholes

UZI Talk Supporter
    The KG-9 (ONE NINE) was the open bolt model, there is always two or three of them on gunbroker by psycho's with 1500$ reserves, they never sell, and have been relisted for the past six months. IMO more than 1800 (or whatever that crazy number was ) must have been produced if there are so many of them still around and for sale on online gun auctions.

UZI Talk Life Member

Jmitchell - you are correct about the KG-9 and KG-99 - my bad. If I remember correctly, the first one out was the KG-9 and it fired from an open bolt.

The ATF said no way, so out came the KG-99, closed bolt. That gun was then manufactured by Intratec as the Tec-9, along with a Tec-9 Mini variant. After they banned them, they came out with the DC-9 and the AB-10 (which stood for After Ban).

Then they all got banned. Only the KG-9 fired from an open bolt. There are also a VERY FEW registered full auto subguns called the MP-9 (I think). It has a wire frame stock and is select fire, open bolt.

I believe there are less than 20 in existence. I do not know if they have higher quality internals than the Tecs. In a standard Tec, the sear is about the quality of a flip top off a coke can.

I could be wrong on some of these details. For those really interested, do a Google on TEC-9. There are some websites that go into great detail about the history of these guns. There is also a forum dedicated to the TEC:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STONYCREEKS-TEC-9/

also, check this link:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg136-e.htm

Originally posted by AKman
    Like I say “I have heard” and that’s why am asking you these question and not those assholes

There is a seller on gunbroker, and his description is all capitials. He is selling just the bolt for an KG-9. His description really implies that if you buy his bolt (with cash) you can just drop it into a normal run-of-the-mill Tec 9. You might be correct, it might be just that easy.

I will see if I can find his auction.

UZI Talk Life Member

Doing that is

1 - Illegal - constructive possession in the eyes of the ATF

2 - Would result in the TEC firing from open bolt - also a no no.

3 - To make the TEC go FA, you have to do an additional modification which I will not go into detail about.

The short of it is, if you own a TEC, DO NOT buy a KG-9 open bolt assembly. You are asking for trouble !

UZI Talk Supporter
    Funny thing about that guy selling those KG-9 bolts is that his auctions always read "last one" but he seems to sell at least 2 a month.

Definitely a NO-NO to put one of those in your Tec-9 even if you don't do the rest of the converstion. Just having that bolt along with a Tec-9 is a NO-NO.
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!"

"Have Gun - Will Travel."

+ Reply to Thread