UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stenling vs sterling

UZI Talk Supporter

stenling vs sterling

other than cosmetics, has anyone noticed any differences between sten converted and sterling tube guns besides price

UZI Talk Life Member
    Are you asking in reagrds to reliablity? The answer would be, no difference if the gun was built properly.

THERE IS A FLAT SPOT ON THE RECIEVER FROM THE MUZZLE TO THE BAYONET LUG TO ALLOW THE BAYONET TO BE MOUNTED.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Most (but not all) Stenlings I've seen have a wider cocking slot and IIRC, it is at a different angle to horizontal. On many of these tubes, the wider cocking slot does not hold the handle in so modifications are made to the handle and/or bolt. To some people this is not desirable and hence the guns trade at a lower price.

If anyone has a stenling or pics of the modifications to retain the cocking handle, it would be appreciated..

UZI Talk Supporter

pictures of stenling

I've given my sten and sterling kit to don's guns, I'll try to post some pictures when its finished RGDS/JB

UZI Talk Life Member
    Originally posted by MuzzleFlash
    If anyone has a stenling or pics of the modifications to retain the cocking handle, it would be appreciated..
    I will take some comparison photos and post them in the next day or two.
    AUDE SAPERE

UZI Talk Life Member
    OK, here goes. The difference between the Stenling and the Sterling can be summed up in two points.

1) The Stenling has a wider cocking slot.
    2) The Stenling's cocking handle and cocking handle block are modified by drilling a hole in each so the plunger protrudes through them to retain the cocking handle. The cocking handle itself has a little metal added to it so it fits properly in the wider slot and retains the bolt at the correct angle.

All parts other than the modified cocking handle and the cocking handle block are completely interchangeable between the Stenling and the Sterling. If done correctly, the Stenling operates flawlessly just like the Sterling.

Incidently, the Sterling in the photos is an actual factory Sterling MK6 that was modified to MK4 specifications. The Stenling in the photos was bulit by Don's Guns in Ft. Meyers, FL. More photos of the Stenling can be seen HERE in the NFA for sale forum (it has been sold and is awaiting transfer).
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by P7M13; 01-26-2005 at 02:41 AM.
    AUDE SAPERE

UZI Talk Life Member
    photos 2 & 3 of 6
    Attached Images  
    AUDE SAPERE

UZI Talk Life Member
    photo 4 of 6
    Attached Images  
    AUDE SAPERE

UZI Talk Life Member
    photo 5 of 6
    Attached Images  
    AUDE SAPERE

UZI Talk Life Member
    photo 6 of 6
    Attached Images  
    AUDE SAPERE

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Great pics, thanks for the info

UZI Talk Life Member
    P7M13

Thanks for the pics! This is great work and a wondeful job of explaining the differences. Would you mind if they became a permanent part of a Sterling library?

UZI Talk Supporter

educational pictures

Thanks P7M13, I can see that you did a lot of work to enlighten us on stenling vs sterling differences and I want to thank you. please let me know if I can ever be of help in the Ft Lauderdale area Best Regards JB

UZI Talk Supporter
    More toys!

P7M13

Thanks for the pics! This is great work and a wondeful job of explaining the differences. Would you mind if they became a permanent part of a Sterling library?
    +1?

UZI Talk Life Member
    P7M13

Unfortunately my photography skills (or lack there of) are on par with my shooting skills - they have a long way to go. Be my guest and use the photos in any manner you see fit. If anyone needs further clarification or photos, let me know and I can take some more.

Here's one more detailing how the added (protruding) material in the cocking handle looks in the assembled weapon.
    Attached Images  
    AUDE SAPERE

WHAT ABOUT THE FLAT SPOT IN THE TUBE BETWEEN THE BAYONET LUG AND THE ENDCAP????????

UZI Talk Life Member
    Originally posted by BMGDAVE
    WHAT ABOUT THE FLAT SPOT IN THE TUBE BETWEEN THE BAYONET LUG AND THE ENDCAP????????
    The gun in the photo was made from a DLO Sten tube with a Sterling parts kit, the correct bayonet attachment points are there including the flat spot. You can see the flat spot in the additional photos I posted in the NFA for sale forum HERE.

If the conversion was made to faithfully to replicate a Sterling using Sterling parts kit, the only difference should be the wider cocking slot (and the modified handle/bolt) because ATF has ruled not to allow the narrowing of the slot.
    AUDE SAPERE

I will love to get one. Chris, if you are reading this, please leave us some contact information.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread