M11/410

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Post 1986 sample. I hired the original gas puck designer to convert a saiga to FA. 13 inch BBL. Runs great.

Deerhurst

I feel like I should add to.

A postie is anything made FA after May 1986 no matter when the firearm was actually assembled or manufactured.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
I feel like I should add to.

A postie is anything made FA after May 1986 no matter when the firearm was actually assembled or manufactured.
To be clear, the Gun Control Act of '68 limited the importation of NFA firearms. So imported NFA firearms including suppressors can only be dealer's samples and be held by Special Operational Taxpayers of Federal Firearms Licensees. Those imported NFA items are called Pre May Dealer's Sample. If the license was held by a sole proprietor, the Pre Samples can be retained by the owner, after the SOT is given up. But upon that proprietor's passing, the Pre May Samples must be transferred to a SOT FFL holder.

As part of the Firearms Protection Act of 1986 the Hues Amendment limited private individuals from making or registering machineguns. The FPA was enacted on May 19, 1986. All machineguns entered into the NFA registry after enactment are considered Post (May) Samples. Only Law Enforcement Agencies and SOT FFL holders may possess Post Samples. For a SOT FFL holder to acquire a Post Sample as a demonstration sample fora Law Enforcement Agency, that Law Enforcement Agency must write a letter addressed to the dealer, on Agency letterhead, requesting a demonstration of the specific model of machinegun. This letter must be included with the transfer documentation from the manufacturer, importer, or dealer for the Post Sample transfer. The Agency letter requirement can be waved if the dealer selling a Post Sample is giving up their SOT.

Scott

ETA, there is a difference between a Post Sample machinegun and an unregistered (contraband) machinegun. A Post Sample machinegun has the registered part (frame or receiver) that was made by a 07/02 SOT manufacturer. Great grandpa's WW II bring back war trophy without any paperwork can not be registered as a Post Sample. The receiver must be destroyed per ATF instructions, and then remanufactured into a machinegun receiver by a Firearm manufacturer with a SOT. The original receiver can be donated to a museum and registered on Form 10.

Last edited:

Deerhurst

To be clear, the Gun Control Act of '68 limited the importation of NFA firearms. So imported NFA firearms including suppressors can only be dealer's samples and be held by Special Operational Taxpayers of Federal Firearms Licensees. Those imported NFA items are called Pre May Dealer's Sample. If the license was held by a sole proprietor, the Pre Samples can be retained by the owner, after the SOT is given up. But upon that proprietor's passing, the Pre May Samples must be transferred to a SOT FFL holder.

As part of the Firearms Protection Act of 1986 the Hues Amendment limited private individuals from making or registering machineguns. The FPA was enacted on May 19, 1986. All machineguns entered into the NFA registry after enactment are considered Post (May) Samples. Only Law Enforcement Agencies and SOT FFL holders may possess Post Samples. For a SOT FFL holder to acquire a Post Sample as a demonstration sample fora Law Enforcement Agency, that Law Enforcement Agency must write a letter addressed to the dealer, on Agency letterhead, requesting a demonstration of the specific model of machinegun. This letter must be included with the transfer documentation from the manufacturer, importer, or dealer for the Post Sample transfer. The Agency letter requirement can be waved if the dealer selling a Post Sample is giving up their SOT.

Scott

ETA, there is a difference between a Post Sample machinegun and an unregistered (contraband) machinegun. A Post Sample machinegun has the registered part (frame or receiver) that was made by a 07/02 SOT manufacturer. Great grandpa's WW II bring back war trophy without any paperwork can not be registered as a Post Sample. The receiver must be destroyed per ATF instructions, and then remanufactured into a machinegun receiver by a Firearm manufacturer with a SOT. The original receiver can be donated to a museum and registered on Form 10.
I must have made a poor assumption that as we are all MG owners here and unless there are brave souls among us we all own posties or transferrables minus the odd pre sample Ill try to remember to address everyone with illegal MGs in the future to try to avoid confusion.

Bringing up 68 and 86 is a moot point at that end. the important date here lies in May of 1986, not in 1968.

For the TLDR crew: A post sample isn't just any MG made by a 07/02. A post sample is a MG made and registered by a 07/02 AFTER the May 1986 cutoff. If it was a 07/02 sample gun made BEFORE THE May 1986 cutoff that is a pre sample. Yes, may imported are pre samples.

Keeping things simple and concise works wonders.

Hopefully in my lifetime I'll be able to see the end of this postie, transferrable, pre sample BS.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
If it was a 07/02 sample gun made BEFORE THE May 1986 cutoff that is a pre sample.

The above information is incorrect. A 07/02 is a licensed firearms manufacturer in the United States thatcan make NFA items. Any machinegun made and registered in the United States before May '86 is transferable. Any machineguns (even those that were originally made in the United States) that were imported into the United States and entered into the NFA registry after the GCA '68 to May '86 are Pre (May) Samples.

"Deerhurst" you certainly have skills and knowledge that I envy. But what is posted above in both posts is incorrect. A Post Sample is a registered machinegun that was entered into the NFA registry after May '86. An unregistered machinegun whether it was made or imported 100 years ago or today is contraband, not a "postie".

Scott

Deerhurst

The above information is incorrect. A 07/02 is a licensed firearms manufacturer in the United States thatcan make NFA items. Any machinegun made and registered in the United States before May '86 is transferable. Any machineguns (even those that were originally made in the United States) that were imported into the United States and entered into the NFA registry after the GCA '68 to May '86 are Pre (May) Samples.

"Deerhurst" you certainly have skills and knowledge that I envy. But what is posted above in both posts is incorrect. A Post Sample is a registered machinegun that was entered into the NFA registry after May '86. An unregistered machinegun whether it was made or imported 100 years ago or today is contraband, not a "postie".

Scott
I have very little skills and I try not to speak if I don't have the knowledge, what little I do have. Some say I talk too much anyways.

If memory serves as an SOT you can notify of manufacture of a MG. I may be wrong on that. That would make it possible for a postie to be something that was eligible to be a pre sample or transferrable but that window closed a long time ago. I'll check if it's a notify after when I got works on my buddies DP this weekend. It's a beautiful postie. Doesn't like modern weak commercial ammo. Mine likes modern ammo so time to replicate my fix to his postie. At this time I don't plan to have a SOT because I have less than zero respect for the gov and the AFT. Not worth the heartburn to deal with them but unfortunately no cool toys.

I don't believe anywhere I said a postie could have been manufactured and on the books prior to May. Even what you quoted says a pre sample is before May 1986. Never said anything that doesn't have a stamp was or was not a postie either. I just said I wish we didn't have to care and I hope I see a day the gov doesn't care either.

Slow down, chill out. We are on the same team and saying the same things.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Can we talk about DeWats. Now......??

Whole New avenue......I'm sure theres still some out there...

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member

skiboatsp, isn't this one yours? I always like that one.​

SaigaTechUSA-S12Krink.jpg

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Since we've started a pissing contest. I've got a form1 suppressor I built for it too.;)

saiga12ga.JPG
And a .20

saiga20ga-sbs.JPG

and a .410
.saiga410-sbs.JPG

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter