FN FNC Belgian Army arsenal barrel replacement tool + info

paco

Hi,
If you ever wanted to know how they replace the FNC barrel in the army, well, here is some good info.
Let me start to tell that the army has only 2 of these units. They costed around 20K a piece...
The tool name is OREA752A

First thing they do is locking in the receiver. They use those two hole where you lock in the push pins to attach the lower.

As the upper is tight and locked in. The add the barrel nut adaptor. And on that adaptor the fit in the wrench. As a barrel might be super tight due to carbon and locktides. They might use an extra pipe over the wrench to unlock the barrel nut. Basicly, they use brutal force to unlock it ; )

After that, the barrel should come out relative easy.

In Part 2 i 'll tell you about the replacing. That is more complicated....

PAco

Last edited:

paco

So, now you need to get a new barrel in ; )

Basicly, you simply screw it in... But, there is a job to do with a contra nut.
Once the new barrel is screwed inside, there is a possebility that you are one thread to little in. The arsenal personel will check it by the distance of the gasblock.
In the pics you see a correct and incorrect position.
Also, do not forget to add the handguard collar ; )

So, if the barrel is lined up and screwed in, it will be locked by the contranut (barrelnut). Locktide is added and they use a torkwrench at 15DaNm.

paco

Ok, you have the barrel fitted. Next thing is the flash hider. With a flash hider wrench they try and see where it ends. It should have that small cut underneeth. If the angle is incorrect, they can read a chart indicating what spacer they should use in order to fit correctly. The cut down under and the vent holes 45degrees.

Time to refit the gassystem. There are several systems with one or two legs on the grenadesights. Also, several systems to set the rate of fire with that little screw. Some have it in the front, some on the side.

Below, one thread to little= exesive headspace, your gun will explode!

Above the old styl 2 legged grenade sight or "aliade". below the "new style one legged gasplug.
20210324_094506.jpg

Close but no cigar yet...
I hope you have the eye of the tiger. They bend the barrel straight. I saw it doing, seriously, this takes a zillion years to master this skill.

Last edited:

paco

The last part

And now the tricky part... Headspace
The FAL uses those inexpensive locking shoulders to adjust the headspace.
The FNC... Well the use 7 different boltsizes to make it fit. The headspace should be between 37,95 and 38.15mm
The armorer "feel" what size they should pick. The bolt have no markings what size they are. The arrange a pile of bolts and simply pick out the correct one.
Once you have a correct bolt, they add the extractor assy with the new spring and guide. They test it with a go-nogo gauge and check the tension with a tool. It should be able to hang by it self due to the tension.

I'm confident you can buy a house for this tool box.

Time to testfire and adjust the rate of fire...

Paco out

sweersa

What a cool thread, thank you so much for all of the info and photos, Paco! Indeed on that tool box, anyone with an FNC would love to get their hands just on a few of those parts, especially the bolts!

I assume all FNC parts are out of production, and everything on hand is old stock.

CAR

Thank you for the look at this maintenance/repair operation. It is very much appreciated.

paco

All FNC's are given to UkraIne, most spare parts are destroyed or given away to them.
These pics have some "age".
Paco

paco

Fantastic and info are my middle names; )

I hope you found my sticky toppics

Paco

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter