22 caliber Sterlings

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter
I looked up an old article for a friend that I wrote for SAR about John Foote who worked at MAC. I visited him down in GA while researching my MAC Man book. I then remembered all the down-sized Sterlings he made.

In the article ...

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=279

"Foote-Sterling

The Foote/Sterling was first produced in 1982 as a .22 caliber semiautomatic pistol. The weapon was an accurate 3/4 scale copy of the British Sterling submachine gun. There were two variations offered. One was the standard model and the other had a slightly shorter barrel and receiver. There were approximately one hundred standard models, and only ten of the short version produced. The Foote pistols are treasured collector's items today. A third select-fire model was planned but never went into production.
"

There is a picture of a completed one and a drawer full of partially finished ones. Both pictures are in the article. I don't think he ever sold many, the ones in the drawer are rusty, so I assume he gave up on the idea. I have never seen any except those in his shop.

Last edited:

pjm204

I looked up an old article for a friend that I wrote for SAR about John Foote who worked at MAC. I visited him down in GA while researching my MAC Man book. I then remembered all the down-sized Sterlings he made.

In the article ...

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=279

"Foote-Sterling

The Foote/Sterling was first produced in 1982 as a .22 caliber semiautomatic pistol. The weapon was an accurate 3/4 scale copy of the British Sterling submachine gun. There were two variations offered. One was the standard model and the other had a slightly shorter barrel and receiver. There were approximately one hundred standard models, and only ten of the short version produced. The Foote pistols are treasured collector's items today. A third select-fire model was planned but never went into production.
"

There is a picture of a completed one and a drawer full of partially finished ones. Both pictures are in the article. I don't think he ever sold many, the ones in the drawer are rusty, so I assume he gave up on the idea. I have never seen any except those in his shop.

They come up for sale sometimes on gunbroker. I think I recall reading there are at least 100 of them. I always bid when I see them but haven't won yet.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Always wanted one of those. I loved his mp pistols and the Mac that took Uzi mags. Seeing that drawer full of rusty sterling 22s is sad.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
22 is such a waste I’d go for a 7.62 pistol before messing with a pea shooter.

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter

MAC MAN

UZI Talk Life Member
I have one of those in my Collection. Number 93. Magazine is numbered to the gun. Sterling .22 Cal

Lima

Anyone know what Pietta never came to market with their MK-85 .22 mini Sterling they brought to the SHOT show about 2010? Looked like a clone of the Foote model.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter