AC556 Folding Stock Disassembly

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
As you can see in the photos, I was able to disassemble most of the components of the factory side-folding stock from my AC556. However, it looks like the Butt Plate Hinge Pin may be swedged into place. Anyone know how to remove it without milling it out? I have a spare stainless pin (shown in the photo), in case I need a replacement. The only reason I am breaking the stock down is to have it refinished by a local gunsmith. The gunsmith informed me that the entire stock must be disassembled before Cerakote can be applied.

Attachments

• 20190426_114628.jpg
    20190426_114628.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 148
  • AC556 Stock 1.jpg
    AC556 Stock 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 149

slimshady

Hard to tell from the picture but the knurled section in the middle of the new pin looks like that is designed to retain it. If that is the case an arbor press with a small cylinder the size of the pin over a bench block sized to allow the head to pass should remove it.

Why not let the Gunsmith remove it and put the liability on him? Disassembly and re-assembly is usually done by the Gunsmith when re-finishing.

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this gunsmith didn't want to disassemble the stock; he sent it back to me with a note that read "unable to disassemble." I don't think he attempted to take it apart. To me, it looked pretty straight forward, until I got to the butt stock retaining pin. You're correct, the pin is knurled. Like you, I assume this helps to hold it in place. However, it also appears to be swedged on the small end, too. Of course, I could be wrong. Perhaps it might be retained some other way?

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
He probably didn't want to disassemble it as he viewed it as one of those things that once you take it apart it will never be the same again and didn't want to incur that liability just to finish it

Risk vs reward

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I wonder if it would be possible to Cerakote the stock in the extended position? I recall seeing photos of M60joe's work on Mini's and AC556's where he refinished the OEM folding-stocks and fitted them to the old Butler Creek Stocks.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Put a little heat on it. Map gas works pretty good, then tap it out.

slimshady

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this gunsmith didn't want to disassemble the stock; he sent it back to me with a note that read "unable to disassemble." I don't think he attempted to take it apart. To me, it looked pretty straight forward, until I got to the butt stock retaining pin. You're correct, the pin is knurled. Like you, I assume this helps to hold it in place. However, it also appears to be swedged on the small end, too. Of course, I could be wrong. Perhaps it might be retained some other way?

Measure the diameter of the new pin and the exposed end on the old one. If within a few thousandths it will just push out. If it is significantly larger you may need to grind/mill off the head formed and then push it out. Of course if it is riveted over the new one will not be able to be coated if you plan to do the same to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter