anyone have an ultimak on their Mini ?

rentprop1

ultimak opinions ??, and do you have to use a long eye relief or scout type scope ...not interested in a red dot, but was thinking if a 1 piece scope mount installed in reverse might get the eye relief back far enough ? thinking of running a 1-4x24 on there ??

Gemlin

I have one on my mini14 with a red dot. Works well, I like it.

If you have a newer mini, just use the factory rings for the scope.

On my ac556 I have a scar stock and I also mount a red dot on the scout mount. Magnification scopes and full auto really dont work well with each other

MunsonMan

UZI Talk Life Member
I have an Ultimak on my Mini-30 with a Burris scout scope and it works very well.

rentprop1

I have one on my mini14 with a red dot. Works well, I like it.

Magnification scopes and full auto really dont work well with each other

yeah I know that, mine is an SBR cut to 13 inches....183 series ( mini 14 ) , I put a Liberty Mystic X on there and its super for Hog hunting, just ordered a 1-4x24 and was considering how I might wanna mount it, I don't have the newer scope ring slot type set up, I was thinking of the 1 piece mounts in reverse, that I may gain an extra inch of eye relief ?? guess I'll have to wait for the scope and mount and just see if I can see ??

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
yeah I know that, mine is an SBR cut to 13 inches....183 series ( mini 14 ) , I put a Liberty Mystic X on there and its super for Hog hunting, just ordered a 1-4x24 and was considering how I might wanna mount it, I don't have the newer scope ring slot type set up, I was thinking of the 1 piece mounts in reverse, that I may gain an extra inch of eye relief ?? guess I'll have to wait for the scope and mount and just see if I can see ??

Are you running the newest mystic x serial mx2600 and above? I've got the previous version mx24**, mine is rated for 16" 223.
I've actually been contemplating SBRing one of my old factory folding mini 14's and making it a clone ac556f.
Who cut the barrel and threaded it for you?
Any issues with the CAN and SBR setup?

Not trying to highjack this thread.

rentprop1

My serial is above 2600....I double checked after a friend spotted a super mirage after only 5 shots :silly.....I really don't blast 223 with that Mystic...I kept it more for 9mm but I had it on a FA MPX without issues......I read the Liberty website that said your good down to 11 inches for 223.... with my can in that serial range.....

RE CUTTING barrel ...I'm an 07FFL if you wanna send the barrel to me I can take care of it for you ...pm me for price and info

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
Let me help you Mr. prop1

385_BE7_AF-_F957-497_A-9_F04-_FD2_EFC94821_A.jpg

997_F5_B91-2_B48-4_A73-_B9_C4-912_C44_C0_E68_B.jpg

B10_CF6_C0-0_FBD-4_B25-8112-_E50_C4_C5_D1_AC3.jpg

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Looks good.
The main reason I haven't SBRed it is because I cannot find an ac556 front sight. I've seen the replica but it just doesn't look that good. (almost looks like pot metal / rough casting) I need to see some pics of the replica on a gun.
The A2 flash hider is not a bad idea. I would get a mini flash hider with the more common 1/2x28 threads.

rentprop1

Looks good.
The main reason I haven't SBRed it is because I cannot find an ac556 front sight. I've seen the replica but it just doesn't look that good. (almost looks like pot metal / rough casting) I need to see some pics of the replica on a gun.
The A2 flash hider is not a bad idea. I would get a mini flash hider with the more common 1/2x28 threads.

I couldn't find, or bring myself to pay almost $ 90 for that Ac556 front sight, and yes the repro's don't look right, so I used the original, I think it looks OK, and yes Ive been waiting for more of an original mini or at least Ruger flash hider, Midway had them but out of stock....I was even looking for one off a Ruger AR556 , AR 15 type rifles, for someone who changed theirs out, but no luck so far.

mine still will not cycle without the can, I just have to find time to open up the gas thingy, since I already cut it, I'll just open it and the port up slightly till it cycles, I doubt you could over gas a mini and have issues ??

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
We think alike.
I've thought about buyin a ruger AR flash hider because they look identical.
I've seen them on gunbroker. But for me the front sight post is the key. I'm not messing around with this project because ive got 10 others that's closer to being completed.

For your gas issue try finding an ac556f gas block. Ruger, I believe change the piston some for more gas, Or you could modify it.

Also, I was hoping that I could run it with the original gas block. I thought that being under gased would actually help with the overgassing issues with a CAN on it.
Thanks for the info. I've got an ac556f and maybe I'll get around to taking the block off and comparing to one of my mini's.

rentprop1

. I've got an ac556f and maybe I'll get around to taking the block off and comparing to one of my mini's.

thanks, if you do, please post up the measurements in this thread...( you can use number drill bits set to measure the ID of the gas bushing thing )..I was just gonna open her up a little at a time, I don't think you can go too much, Id be curious to see if the gas port hole is the same Diam, ??

this is the one I'm waiting on ....
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1366349685/ruger-short-flash-suppressor-ar-15-1-2-28-threads

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
If I can get ahold of a real ac556 sight, this project would be getting started ASAP.
I wish someone would make a good copy, that I could live with.
Ruger just needs to get off ther a$$ and make another folder while there at it make an ac556 front sight option.
It took Ruger decades to make a high capacity magazine for the 10/22. Actually bill Ruger really hurt the mini; in my opinion by not selling high capacity magazines. Making civilians go buy crap mags that never really worked.

THATS FLASH HIDER LOOKS REAL CLOSE TO THE ORINGAL.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
The mini I want to SBR is clean. Probably has 200 rounds threw her. it was owned by an old man( thankfully). There's not even a ding on the stock. But it's a NON GB so it's going to get cut down (eventually).

If I knew how to post pictures from my phone, I would.

MG34_Dan

We think alike.
I've thought about buyin a ruger AR flash hider because they look identical.
I've seen them on gunbroker. But for me the front sight post is the key. I'm not messing around with this project because ive got 10 others that's closer to being completed.
For your gas issue try finding an ac556f gas block. Ruger, I believe change the piston some for more gas, Or you could modify it.
Also, I was hoping that I could run it with the original gas block. I thought that being under gased would actually help with the overgassing issues with a CAN on it.
Thanks for the info. I've got an ac556f and maybe I'll get around to taking the block off and comparing to one of my mini's.

When you shorten the barrel, you will need to enlarge the gas port diameter drilled into the barrel. The following was shamelessly purloined from another web site:

Ruger AC556 Gas Port Diameters

18" Barrel - .059" Gas Port
13" barrel - .070" Gas Port

Your mileage may vary.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
MG34_Dan
Thanks for the info. Now I don't have to take apart my gas block and your info will help rentprop1 with his project. (My project as well, eventually)

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a SBR'ed stainless sidefolder. have had it almost 10 years. I went thru all of the various front sights until I found and purchased a true ac556 front sight. granted, its blued, but its real.

here's the problem (and if photobucket still worked, I'd post a picture).... the repro front sights are too short (unless there's been another batch come out recently). I found that out the hard way. couldnt ever get my sbr to sight in right. at one point, I had both a blued and a stainless repro. after I got my real ac556 front, I stacked them on the barrel and the problem was very clear, very quickly. I even had one of those fronts made by the guy that dovetailed in a pistol sight or whatever. further, I had an ultimak type heatshield that had a ar15 type front post screwed into it. literally, I've had everything I think. (to include GB's and a very short m1a style front sight/flash hider combo on another sidefolder).
I guess my point is this; the only sight that will truly work correctly, is a real ac556 front sight (or at least, that was my experience). and the term "rare as hens teeth" comes to mind....

some pics in this thread with a repro front sight: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/71025-sbr-sidefolder-w-suppressor-*videos*.html

ETA: direct from ruger you can buy some very similar ac556 looking flash hiders. but....you guessed it....they're shorter than the originals. (I have one now on my sbr)
something to keep in mind (if I remember correctly) is that the original ac556 flash hiders arent the same thread pitch as "standard". think they're 1/2x20 or something, versus the 1/2x28.

ETA 2: if you google "ac556 front sight" in the pictures, about the 8th pic is a closeup of a barrel with 3 sights stacked on it. that's mine. I actually posted it on here in 2013, but since its photobucket, the actual image isnt going to work, its just a 'ghost' on google search. but you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Buffdragon
Thanks for the info and that great picture on google, I found it. That's why I'm not going down this road till I get an ac556 front sight. It's the key in my opinion.
On the thread pitch, it's not a big deal because when I cut the barrel down, I will have it threaded to 1/2x28 and the new mini flash hider are close to the original.
I wish someone could make a modern reproduction on a CnC machine. I know people will pay good money for a QUALITY reproduction front sight.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
If you know anybody selling a sight PM me. I posted a thread in the buying selling section, no luck yet.
About two / theee years ago I passed on one that was on gunbroker. To be honest it wasn't selling and he kept reposting it with a lower price. I forgot to check one week and it was GONE.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter