Buffer review.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Buffer

I’ve tested a lot of buffers for the AC-556 and Mini 14 and the JSP MFG. is the best in my opinion, plus it’s cheap.
A buffer is a must have in my opinion for a transferable Ac-556 or Mini-14.

Short video below.

Last edited:

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Great info.

How many rounds have you fired with the buffer?

Any indication of life span of one of these?

Have you found other buffers to cause functional issues?

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I would say I’ve fired approximately 500 rounds with this buffer. The same buffer was used in the full auto clip. There’s is zero signs of wear.
The three pack comes in at under $3 per buffer with free shipping.
https://jspmanufacturing.com/collec...coil-buffer-made-in-usa?variant=5848269488160

As for lifespan, I cannot say at the moment but I would guess 2k rounds (just a guess).

Some buffers don’t work the best, others have their ups and downs. My goal is to make the receiver last lifetimes; therefore, a buffer on the receiver (the most important part) and the gas block is important to me. However, combinations with buffers on both (the receiver end and the gas block end) can cause problems. The newer mini 14s have a step on the front face of the op-rod and that might cause problems. Some people file that step down. If you use a gas block buffer ITS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU MAKE SURE THE BOLT TRAVELS ALL THE WAY HOME AND IS FULLY LOCKED BEFORE SHOOTING IT. I HAVEN'T had any issues with this but I guess it could happen. On my Rugers there’s ample space after the bolt is fully locked for a buffer.

I’ve made my own buffers, bought a few and this is the best in my opinion. My previous setup was two Wilson 1911 buffers and that had some limitations in my opinion. Mostly, the area that they covered were minimal in size to the area that needed coverage. Furthermore, my personal opinion after testing them, is the 1911 buffers were either too thick or to thin. I mean that the 1911 buffer on the receiver end is too thin and the gas block section too thick. I should mention, I haven’t tried this on a 13” AC-556 yet.

Lastly, I plan on making more videos about the Mini-14 / AC-556, the thread has been dormant way too long. If you can’t hear the pinging sound with the non buffered mini, TURN YOUR VOLUME UP or wear headphones, it’s clearly there.

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for this info Kick......did you do anything to the width? I have another company's buffers and they were too thick, a pain to slice them down the middle. I'm wondering if these will work on a mini 30? I don't see why not. I'll have to contact the company I'm thinking.

David

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
No problem.

These were plug in play in the two guns that I tested them in. However, when I initially installed it the buffer hole appeared to be off. Its fine just takes a little downward force to get the guide rod to click into the receiver hole.
Width below. Roughly a 1/4 of an inch.
IMG-4529.jpg

These are tapered, I'm not sure if you can tell in the photo.
IMG-4530.jpg

They should work great in a mini 30. They are essentially the same guns.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Just heard back from JSP Kick. They won't fit a mini 30. Interesting, huh?

I’m really surprised to hear that. From my understanding the receiver is the same casting (I’m talking about the older mini’s).
I never owned a mini 30 but I remember looking one over and they appeared to the exact same receiver. The barrel outside diameter even appeared to be the same (more thin walled due to the 7.62 projectile). I could be wrong, I was a kid then.

Measure your mini 30 barrel outside diameter at the receiver (chamber area) and I’ll compare mine to yours, when I have time.

Let me ask you this, when you bought your buffer did it specifically say for mini 30?

I spoke with then on the phone and they basically said: we don’t know; therefore, they airing on the side of caution.

PM me your mailing address.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter