Building a Gatling gun.

swood40215

UZI Talk Supporter
piratesover40 said:
Your two plates are they flat to flat or did you cut grooves and add ball bearings?

That's what I was wondering. Some kind of bushing or bearings between the plates make make is easier to traverse in the long run. Or are you going to grease it up like a tractor/trailer rig?

jarhead jim

Range Brass Whore, UZI Talk Life Member,
Two plates, polished to a mirror sheen with grease added. You can adjust the tension of the swivel by the tightness of the lock nut. I can traverse the 130 pound gun with just my little pinky. The 2 plates were clamped down solid to a 1" chunk of steel while I welded to them. This allows the weld to be made without warping the 3/8" thick plates. As long as everything is square and flat, you don't need ball bearings here. A good polishing and grease will do the trick.

Here's a different angle of the gun.

Jim

Attachments

• JJ 089.jpg
    JJ 089.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,752
Last edited:

piratesover40

UZI Talk Life Member
jarhead jim said:
Two plates, polished to a mirror sheen with grease added. You can adjust the tension of the swivel by the tightness of the lock nut. I can traverse the 130 pound gun with just my little pinky. The 2 plates were clamped down solid to a 1" chunk of steel while I welded to them. This allows the weld to be made without warping the 3/8" thick plates. As long as everything is square and flat, you don't need ball bearings here. A good polishing and grease will do the trick.

Here's a different angle of the gun.

Jim

Jim you should be real proud of that fine piece of craftsmanship. There aren't many small gun makers can do what you just did my friend.

jarhead jim

9mmsubgun-m11 said:
jim,have you thought about making your crank handle out of brass instead of wood? I think look pretty sweet with brass.

I was going to. But little bro made one out of oak for me and I don't want to hurt his feelings. Of course.....if it accidentally got broke then....:banana

Thanks fellas, can't wait to get it plated either!
Jim

mmilo31

Jim, great looking gun!!!
One thing though, did you intenionally leave the red lingerie laying on the floor to see if anyone would point it out? :poke
seriously, I cant wait to see that gattling plated!

Funker

UZI Talk Supporter
mmilo31 said:
One thing though, did you intenionally leave the red lingerie laying on the floor
I wouldn't care what Jim wears while he make's stuff.
If He made me one of those:waving

jarhead jim

Thong? Not a chance! Now my Daisey Dukes maybe. LOL!!

The county mounties are coming over tonite to investigate the loud noises I'm told. I might have to get rid of my railroad tie will all of the holes in it. Good thing they are close friends of mine. A bunch of good fellas.

Jim

GUTTERRATT

UZI Talk Life Member
jarhead jim said:
Tripp, you wouldn't have offended me in any way. Hey guys, don't be afraid to throw suggestions at me. Critique away. I make enough fuckups on shit I do, you might save me some "Aw shit!" moments. 20 heads are better than one.

Thanks a lot Chuck, now my head won't fit through the door to go shooting. LOL!

Jim

How about a starter motor off a old chevy and lose the crank...

LOL... I'm just haveing some fun, I know thats a BIG NO,NO

garandman

I am simply awe struck. That's the mostest awesomest build I've ever seen anyone do. Seriosuly. Outstanding.

EXCEPT the wooden legs. They look kinda like chicken legs. Are they historically representational of what the original gattling gun legs were like?

jarhead jim

garandman said:
I am simply awe struck. That's the mostest awesomest build I've ever seen anyone do. Seriosuly. Outstanding.

EXCEPT the wooden legs. They look kinda like chicken legs. Are they historically representational of what the original gattling gun legs were like?

I'm with you.....They looked a lot better on paper. I'll probably have to make thicker ones. If you lock the swivel plate down and try to turn the gun, the legs twist a little. I thought 1-1/4 by 1-7/8 oak would be stout enough but I guess I was wrong.

Jim

TrippHammer

JJ,

I think the British Bull Dog reproductions are made w/ tripods made out of white pine. The leggs are larger in diameter but they are also cut round which I think gives them strengh.

There's an issue in SAR a few months back w/ pictures for reference.

So.....Question's??
Are you parkerizing the inner parts then painting and plating the rest of the gun?

jarhead jim

I'm gonna paint the insides the gloss black too while I am painting the rest of the gun. I figure the smooth finish will make for easier cleaning. I've got a lot of pictures of gatling tripods and they all show a short stubby set of legs. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they were so damned short that you had to bend over beal far to shoot them. At a later date I will probably make the same length legs as I have now but twice as thick and out of red oak.

Here's the legs sanded down and stained. I also mounted the rear sight.JJ 091.jpg

JJ 090.jpg

Jim

Last edited:

snipertn

Jim, before you release dawg, you need to get a pic of him with the gun. We all know he helped with the build.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter