Coastal 9mm MIMS soooooo quiet

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I'd take it apart every 1k or so. Ive filled up alot of pistol caliber cans shooting them on SMGs with jacketed bullets
+1. I only shoot jacketed as well and filled up a lot of cans.

Some documentation on my site:
https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=244

https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=132

Some pictures from my first link:
CT9KS-dirty1..png

CT9KS-dirty2..png

Deerhurst

Interesting.

Must be my use of the cans on short barrel rifles that keeps it clean then.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought a Liberty Constitution which is full auto rated 556 can that I wanted to use for FA 22LR also. thought doing 556 mag dumps would clean it out but was sadly mistaken. Maybe it works for you but didn't for me.

Deerhurst

I bought a Liberty Constitution which is full auto rated 556 can that I wanted to use for FA 22LR also. thought doing 556 mag dumps would clean it out but was sadly mistaken. Maybe it works for you but didn't for me.
What barrel length are you running your 556 upper at?

I'm running on a 8.3" barrel. I have flame coming out of the can. 556FA is done at 10.5" for me.

22LR is notoriously dirty. Much more so than any jacketed bullet.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
7.5"...also tried my 12.5" barrel with the belt fed Shrike
I just get cans that are easier to service or get the re-cored for an easier to service design. Trying to blast them out don't work for me

Poacher

So what's the best way to get a mims apart for cleaning?
When the interface is off there's a chamber a few inches deep then what looks like a ID size washer. The baffle stack is on the other side of this.
Do I remove both the interface and endcap then tap the whole thing out with a dowel rod & rubber mallet, or do I have to unscrew the endcap and pull them out somehow?
I imagine soaking in Kroil, Balistol etc for a few hours would loosen things up.
Thanks

Slowmo

So what's the best way to get a mims apart for cleaning?
When the interface is off there's a chamber a few inches deep then what looks like a ID size washer. The baffle stack is on the other side of this.
Do I remove both the interface and endcap then tap the whole thing out with a dowel rod & rubber mallet, or do I have to unscrew the endcap and pull them out somehow?
I imagine soaking in Kroil, Balistol etc for a few hours would loosen things up.
Thanks
Do you know what materials it is made of?

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
I know this is over a year old, but I just got a good deal on a NIB MIMS 45.
Any tips on disassembly / reassembly?
How often should I clean it? I just shoot FMJ bullets.
Thx.
Sorry to derail this conversation a bit but is Coastal still around? I hadn't heard from them in years. How'd you manage to get a NIB unit from them?

Poacher

Sorry to derail this conversation a bit but is Coastal still around? I hadn't heard from them in years. How'd you manage to get a NIB unit from them?

AFAIK they're done but my SOT has a few in stock.
I bought it because the price was right, it's direct thread for my M10 and I figured it would work ok in that role.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
AFAIK they're done but my SOT has a few in stock.
I bought it because the price was right, it's direct thread for my M10 and I figured it would work ok in that role.
Ah, makes sense. You might find this hard to believe but I have a brand new unused Coastal LRT in 30 cal which I bought back in 2015. It's unused because I got it right before getting laid off at work and then for the next few years my finances were very tight as I was very busy finishing my dissertation so I had no time to get any of my rifles threaded for it. Then when I finally got employed in 2019, I had to go out of state (maintaining my FL residence) so I was usually away from all my goodies. Now that I'm finally back home for good, I have a bunch of pending projects to get to.

Poacher

I'd ask the SOT the best way to disassemble without damage but he's semi retired and does a lot of hunting in a few states this time of year, and I don't want to bother him while he's on vacation.

Deerhurst

oh it does and "can" had to call sico and find out hot to re seal the thread ;)
The core of the can is sealed. I've pulled the outer sleeve off mine before. Maybe yours is different than mine? Pretty sure mine is an early model.

rsideout

UZI Talk Life Member
Clyde shut it down and moved to Alaska probably 6-7+ years ago. I think that he is back in the lower 48 now, but still no longer in business. I have 5 or 7 of his cans and they are all still going strong. He was great to deal with when he was in business. He also did a few custom builds for me.

Poacher

I just heard Atlantic Coast Machine may be making the mims again.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter