Drum Magazines

T3heli

Does anyone know if there's plans to have a production run or ever has been a production run for magwell drum feed magazines for the Mac family? I know Lage has the uppers for the Suomi drums but why not any magazines for the standard Mac’s magwell ?

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
There were some made in the past. I don’t think there was enough demand to make continuing to produce them a viable pursuit.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
AW and C&S made some years ago, but they were converted standard mags with suomi drums welded on. Same goes for the beta drums.
Zero demand for them. With Lage's upper their is/was virtually no point. Way to few macs out there to make it worthwhile I would think

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
My take is a little different. I have two M10s with the Uzi magwell conversion. I bought a Beta-C for the Uzi. It is basically a 32 round Uzi mag that is held onto the Beta drum with a plastic collar. I would think that it would not be very hard to 3D print a collar, like that of the Uzi, for the 30 round Z-mag. It would not be very hard, to buy a Glock https://betaco.com/c-mag-systems/9mm/9mm-glock/ Beta-C drum, which looks like it also uses a collar on a 33 round Glock mag for the tower. I suggest the Glock Beta-C because it is a double stack, single feed like the Z-mag. So the dummy rounds in the Glock feed tower would be similar to what the Z-mag would need.

"chili" is right that there is a small market for a drum that would feed in the grip. But for those that already owned 9mm Beta-C drums, a retrofit collar to use a Z-mag, I would think would have some interest.

Beta-C drums suck to use in a semi. Half of the Beta-C mags I own, I bought from semi auto owners that used them a couple of times and sold them at a discount. I think that the 31 series of Lage uppers scratches that itch for many Mac style RR owners. Personally I don't care for the 31. I like the Beta-C mags. I would be interested in a couple of Z-mag collars. But I have too many projects that I have a vested interest in finishing. I do find it interesting that Beta-C mags really shine in full auto, yet the most prolific registered receiver machinegun in the transferable registry doesn't have a 9mm Beta-C for it. There are no transferable Glocks but BETACO has a Beta-C model for it.

Scott

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
You can find 3d files for lots of magazine types. You model the tower and I'll print it for you.

Last edited:

Uncle Billy

Yeah, if you want a 100 round drum you either have to buy a 100 round beta drum from BETA CO. and then take off the feed tower off and put on a mac 11 mag on the drum.

the other way is buy a 70 round SUOMI 9MM drum, make the mac 11 make it a single stack mag, weld it on.

I did that to make a 70 round PPS-43 using a PPSH-41 and a SUOMI DRUM for the PPS-42

and a SUOMI drum to make a MP5 drum

MP5-DRUM-FEED-TOWER.jpg

Digital-Camera.jpg

Last edited:

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
I liked both that I had but sold the last one when Lage finally made the 31c after years of asking.

From memory the beta started out as a colt model. See the yellow sticker. I don’t have any info on how this was modded for the M11.
img_0894_3bddd2a94bd206ece40de5ba3453e6b15cee01be.jpeg

This was from AW. Ran flawless.
img_5009_d34008889cad2166cdd4db71cbbac88cd84e151f.jpeg

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Thank you for the offer of printing, but I have no idea how to model a Beta-C feed tower collar. That would have to be something that I got my engineer to do. I don't have the funds to pay for the work until I get a model of Tenko adapter approved and for sale. I would certainly pay $20 for such a collar, but I don't have the funds to pay for the engineering.

As I recall, the first 9mm Beta-C was the MP5 at the end of 2003. They were marked "LEO ONLY "on the back covers like the 5.56 models of the time. Just after the National Assault Weapons Ban sunset in 2004, BETACO came out with the Colt 9mm model. They used up the LEO ONLY covers before switching to unmarked and coming out with the clear back covers.

ETA there was a guy in Vegas modifying Uzi mags to use as towers until the Colt model came out. That looks like the same steel base that the modified mag was welded into. Maybe someone got him to do a M11 feed tower or they made their own.

Scott

Last edited:

Garrett

I’ve seen a few Beta Mags that had been modified with an M11/9 tower. At least one made with a STEN tower for a STEN converted gun M11/9.

I have a couple of Uzi Beta Mags. They are really awkward in a gun like the Uzi or M11/9 which has the magwell in the grip. They are better suited for the in-the-front magwell like an M16 or MP5. But that’s just my opinion.

As noted by others, an M11/9 Beta tower can be done but there is probably not the demand for full-scale production. As noted, 3D printing makes small-scale production a reality. Someone just needs to figure it out.

Also as noted, there were a bunch of Suomi drum conversions made by welding feed towers in place, starting in the late ‘90s. I wish I’d have bought one for the Uzi when Vector was making them. I do have one for the M11/9. But at the time, you could buy the drums for $20, give or take. It wasn’t a big deal if you messed one up in the process. It was the doner stick mags for the tower that were potentially expensive in the ban years.

For a one-off, it might be easiest to just post a WTB ad. They’re out there. You might be surprised at what pops up.

Garrett

While we’re on the topic of printing adapters, it would be interesting to make one for the MAX-31. It would have a short tower and fit up tighter to the gun than the Suomi drum. This would actually be less awkward to hold, as the support arm would reach under the Beta, as opposed to having to reach around the Suomi drum.

riW0uUgh.jpg

CKxx

While we are on the topic, has anyone ever seen a converted drum for a 380 small mag? I would love to try making one, but I'm not sure it could feed fast enough.

SecondAmend

While we are on the topic, has anyone ever seen a converted drum for a 380 small mag? I would love to try making one, but I'm not sure it could feed fast enough.
You may wish to get on the M11-380 tungsten bolt wait list. $925 (unless they've changed it) plus shipping will get you a rate of fire under 800 rounds per minute. And as a plus, the tungsten bolt virtually eliminates silencer gas blow back and ejection port noise issues.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer. I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation or sponsorship for endorsements, or favorable public or private comments. I do not have a website, podcasts, webinars, or online videos. Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only; and products or services were purchased by me from regular commercial sources.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

Last edited:

CKxx

You may wish to get on the M11-380 tungsten bolt wait list. $925 (unless they've changed it) plus shipping will get you a rate of fire under 800 rounds per minute. And as a plus, the tungsten bolt virtually eliminates silencer gas blow back and ejection port noise issues.

Yep, I hopped on that the same day they sent the email.

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter
Drums for the M10 are still available. https://www.doubletapfirearmspa.com/product/brp-stemple-45acp-grease-gun-50-rd-drum/
Haven't purchased a drum from him but did buy a 34k from this dealer and had a great experience. Super nice guy, he does the fab himself. He might do a m11 9mm Suomi drum build if there is interest. I have no financial or other interest in his operation other than that I am always glad to put in a good word for him because he deserves it. I'm talking Lage level customer service and I don't throw that around lightly.
IMG_4040.jpg

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter