Finally did it. Just dropped off my M10/9mm with Sam and Tina.

CRofMel

Lookup Collectibles Insurance Company. Pretty common among MG owners. $100k coverage is like $600 a year. Payable as long as you have a police report. No disrespect but it's ignorant to drive that far.

On another note, what is so great about using the Uzi mags?

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
When I shipped mine to Sam the only available option was FedEx Overnight. It was something like $165 to ship it. They advised me they wouldnt pay more than $1k if something happened to it.

Even though I live in TN I am on the other side of the state and a roundtrip would have taken 14 hrs of driving.

It just made more sense to ship it.

BTW, Sam did exceptional work.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Load by hand is nice. Hey some people like flames on the side of their car. Whatever floats ya boat!

Erevis

Lookup Collectibles Insurance Company. Pretty common among MG owners. $100k coverage is like $600 a year. Payable as long as you have a police report. No disrespect but it's ignorant to drive that far.

On another note, what is so great about using the Uzi mags?

I looked at Collectibles Insurance Company. They have a "wait time" before they will cover shipping to avoid people just getting a policy to ship and then drop it.

I had the opportunity to just drive it now and get it started or wait a few months until Collectible would cover shipping.

As for Uzi mags, they are cheap, reliable and plentiful. At this point, the only source of M10/9mm mags are RPB, and they require fitting to my gun, or finding originals (which are hard to do.)

In addition, I can get 20 round, 25 round, or 32 round Uzi Magazines where I can only get 32 round for the MAC magwell. I can also use .45ACP Uzi magazines and a .45 upper for caliber conversion.

To me, both the trip and the conversion choice were the best options.

Erevis

Did you make an appointment with Sam and Tina and was it at all difficult in convincing them to allow you to bring your Mac to them in person? I'm considering calling them to drop mine off. Thank you

I called Sam, and we had a good conversation. I made an appointment and called him when I got into town.

Erevis

For those that care, a private individual can ship a machinegun to a dealer. According to Postal Service Regulations, a private individual can ship a long gun. Only FFL holders can ship "concealable " . The regulations don't mention "machinegun" at all. So if you had a 16" barrel on a machinegun, then it is a long gun. A SBR is considered concealable. So the factory configuration would be concealable. Of course you could have a dealer ship it.

Sam and Tina are great people. Congratulations on the trip.

Scott

This was where I got concerned.

My reading showed that "machinegun" is a category, but "concealable" adds another variable to equation. As mentioned earlier, the only real option that I could see was Collectibles Insurance, but they have a wait time.

sleepy

Sam and Tina are the best. We are very lucky to have them for our hobby. I did the Uzi conversion and do not regret it. It runs like a Swiss watch and no more grinding or filing mags. Your going to wish you did it sooner. They have done a ton of these conversions but you almost never see one for sale and I think I know why after having one.

MACsAlot

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks so much everyone. We love getting the chance to meet our customers and we are pretty flexible about having folks come by, but we do ask that you make an appointment because we don’t always keep regular hours. We are on a working farm so sometimes we are running errands or doing farm work (like today, we are putting up fencing for the new goats arriving tomorrow.) But anyone is welcome to our humble shop.

As far as shipping is concerned, we don’t care much how it gets here, but when we ship it back it must be “by the book” which most often ends up being Fed Ex Ground to an individual or USPS Registered Mail to a dealer. We did have one dealer ship it UPS and he said he does it all the time. He even contacted his UPS rep who agreed it was ok to ship a machine gun. I’m not sure how this works since, last time I checked, the UPS website specifically addresses that it doesn’t ship machine guns. 🤷🏻

Have a great Independence Day ya’ll and thanks again for allowing us to do what we do!

t

JCcypress

Has anyone observed that making "permanent" modifications to an MG, such as the Uzi grip/mag capability negatively affects the value of the gun?

I REALLY like the look and functionality of that mod, but it makes me a little nervous also...

challenger70rt

I’m in the same boat as you. To date it hasn’t ever hurt the value of MAC’s, but that’s not to say that 30 years from now those guns don’t develop a collector market with people valuing pristine original examples, or that some GREAT new aftermarket part or upper comes on the scene that everyone wants but for some reason it can’t be used w the Uzi magwell? The good news is macs are just blocks of cheap folded mild steel, so as long as the work is done right, you can almost always successfully convert it back. That said both my guns are original PS M.A.C. guns so I’ve decided not to get surgery done. That said if they were Texas macs, or JAWS guns or something from an unknown entity, I would be much more inclined to do it.

Last edited:

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Hell I have several macs and I’ve been contemplating cutting off the magwell and putting an old MG grip on one- effectively reducing it to a trigger pack.. but to your point I’d only do it because there are several uppers I could use it on.. including Lage Uppers, and my own.

OP good work it’d be a 1400 mile round trip for me so I’ll just ship mine thanks- but you took it to the right place!

Erevis

Has anyone observed that making "permanent" modifications to an MG, such as the Uzi grip/mag capability negatively affects the value of the gun?

I REALLY like the look and functionality of that mod, but it makes me a little nervous also...

For me, I didn't worry about the collector's value. It is still a transferable SMG and its serial number in the registry is what makes its value.

My decision is based purely on usability and practicality. Unlike Sten conversions, the Uzi conversion retains a double stack magazine and capability to easily load magazines without a loader. In addition, it adds the MAC into the category of a firearm with a lot of aftermarket magazine options whereas the double-stack MAC has a very limited source of magazines, and usually those will have to be fitted.

I am looking forward to being able to use 32 round, 25 round, and 20 round magazines.

I should also mention that when I was at PS, I got to hold an already converted MAC. Oh... my.... God. The grip felt to me like it is was "supposed" to feel. It was much more comfortable, and I felt a more "solid" connection to the firearm. I can't explain it, and it makes no sense. I can only say this... While my mind told me that the conversion was the right move, it wasn't until I held that Uzi-converted MAC that I became emotionally invested into the plan.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Two of our three M10 RRs have the Uzi magwell conversion. I bought both guns that way, as they were already converted when we bought them. At $400 for the conversion, that is well within the range of pricing for the ease of sale. A M10 priced at $6,000 would sell very quickly, but more slowly at $7,000 just for the basic RR. So most would not care whether the gun, priced at $6,000, had the Uzi magwell conversion or not. Some would find the Uzi magwell conversion a plus, others would find it a minus. But at $6,000 those that want the conversion would leave it. And those that want the original magwell could have it switched and still be below market value of a M10 RR.

As posted above what gives the vast majority of the market value is being a transferable machinegun. Back when the market value of a M10 was $1,200, the cost of the Uzi magwell conversion would be more significant. Today the cost of an Uzi magwell conversion is not even 10% of market value. Maybe some day the factory configuration with original factory finish will make a significant difference in the market value. I don't see that happening anytime soon. A refresh of the finish is cheap. But selling the gun a couple hundred dollars would make up the difference IMHO. YMMV.

Scott

sleepy

It always amazes me how many folks act like the Uzi magwell change is permanent and there is no going back. Lol. You can always change the magwell back to stock. How many m11/9’s got changed to sten magwells and are now being switched back to factory for the shockwave mags. It’s a stamped piece of sheet metal not some rare Picasso.

Galil#1

Ha ha.. Picasso is pure garbage, normal people would never call that doodling - art, five year olds can do far better. - Say a Rembrandt or Durer now that is Art.

3S1K

I used Collectible Insurance for a long time as well. I ended up canceling it and adding additional coverage through my home policy for less. But now that I'm typing this I should follow up on coverage as it's been awhile...

pmf

I should check into my homeowners policy. I just paid Collectables $388 for a year of coverage up to $50k. It's gone from $272/year in 2017 to $388/year in 2020. And there's been no significant changes in coverage, or the size of my gun collection. I have a safe and an alarm system.

3S1K

I just contacted my Homeowners insurance and they said the following:

"That's correct, it will provide coverage in the home as well as anywhere in the U.S. and Canada".

I have $25k coverage but there is a max of $5k per firearm. Meaning I'd only get some of my money back for my M11. They said they could add second policy to cover that single item above $5k but they need a appraisal letter or bill of sale from within the last 2 years. It would cost about $140 a year for 10k coverage on a single firearm.

I think for that price I could get a separate policy with Collectible Insurance for less.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter