front handguard direct attachment to suppressor legality.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Thinking about with a ar15 style, if a suppressor was connected directly to a barrel shroud or handguard. Would that be legal? Thinking on building a ar pistol with around a 4" barrel, would put a 4-5" shroud over it, then direct thread my can on with a male male adaptor. It would add some volume to the can, but so does my Uzi adaptor (uzi barrel is 8.5" so plenty of space in the barrel nut suppressor adaptor.
With the ar think it would also just look cooler to have a contigous look. Thats kind of my main thing lol

slimshady

Why wouldn't it be legal? As long as the suppressor is properly registered the method of attachment doesn't matter.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Cant think of why it wouldnt be. The only reason that i could think that "they" would have a issue with it is that they may decide that i am extending the length of it past what it is registered at.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I think it would be legal, but will your barrel shroud be able to handle the pressure and also how hot will the hand guard get?

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Should handle the pressure. Thinking on threading the outside of the barrel nut. Most likely make one from scratch. Then wrapping the outside of the hand guard with a heat wrap type of thing. Maybe get a suppressor cover that will go most of the length of the can as well.

slimshady

The shroud is just the "mount" for the suppressor. To CYA, list the length as including the shroud, AFT doesn't have a problem with going shorter, and numerous "modular" designs are sold with removable sections.

Gaffshot

Not sure I can envision what you are saying about attaching to the shroud but if it's not directly mounted on the barrel then I think you are asking for baffle strikes. Is this 4" barrel going to be in 556 or 300? 556 would be pathetically anemic. I think most people get an extra wide handguard to fit over the barrel and can. There are a couple options for that. Probably need a direct thread style if going to do that though.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
The above comment about baffle strikes is 100% correct; handguards aren't made with the precision required for bore concentricity.
RE: Caliber; 300 Blackout is more efficient from a short barrel, 556 is cheaper. If you plan to use it as a "home defense" weapon, 300 wins hands down. If it will be a "range toy", 556 is probably the best choice.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Its a 9mm. Going to use uzi mags. Majority of the time it will probably not have a can, as it will be a car gun.

https://www.silencershop.com/liberty-fixed-mount-uzi.html

That is a general idea of what im thinking. In reality it would be a nut that is inside and outside threaded, then a tube that extends briefly past the barrel.
So no gas tubes, should be straight foreward.

fortyfive1911a1

I am failing to understand the intent of the project I think. Are you just trying to get the suppressor to extend out far enough past the rail? If so, why not just use a longer barrel or suppressor?

eodinert

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but it sounds complicated. More complicated than it needs to be.

Most people who do this use a threaded barrel, and thread the suppressor directly to the barrel. Those that want a handguard to cover the suppressor get a long handguard with an inside diameter large enough to fit the suppressor. Then those people learn that suppressors make the handguard too hot to hold onto, and the close fit of the suppressor to the back of the handguard prevents you from using any Mlok or KeyMod attachments.

Generally, if you run a barrel shorter than your handguard, you'll find that shooting it without the suppressor is sub-optimal.

YMMV.

fortyfive1911a1

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but it sounds complicated. More complicated than it needs to be.

Most people who do this use a threaded barrel, and thread the suppressor directly to the barrel. Those that want a handguard to cover the suppressor get a long handguard with an inside diameter large enough to fit the suppressor. Then those people learn that suppressors make the handguard too hot to hold onto, and the close fit of the suppressor to the back of the handguard prevents you from using any Mlok or KeyMod attachments.

Generally, if you run a barrel shorter than your handguard, you'll find that shooting it without the suppressor is sub-optimal.

YMMV.

With what you’re describing (which is what I also envisioned is the actual goal and best approach) I’ve seen people add the rubber inserts to the rails to make them more comfortable to grab. Also, there’s lots of options for “blast cans” to use if you’re running a barrel shorter than the rail and don’t have a suppressor installed. It will get the end of the blast out past the rail when not using a suppressor.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Here are some quick renders to illustrate what I am contemplating in regards to the handguard and can. Not terribly into doing the barbie accessory thing, so not terribly worried about m lock or anything.

Attachments

• PSX_20210905_231800.jpg
    PSX_20210905_231800.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 118
  • PSX_20210905_231826.jpg
    PSX_20210905_231826.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 118
  • PSX_20210905_231849.jpg
    PSX_20210905_231849.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 117

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
So the collar https://www.silencershop.com/liberty-fixed-mount-uzi.html would be the "hand guard" around the barrel? If so, is the collar replacing the barrel nut of the upper or is the collar threading on to some kind of custom barrel nut? My biggest concern would be that the mounting surface that the collar is attached to would be concentric to the bore of the barrel. I take it that there would be some kind of heat resistant wrap around the collar/can as it would only take a few rounds through to get the collar/can very hard to hold from the heat.

Scott

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Yes, what I am considering is to make a male/female barrel nut, then attaching the shroud directly to that. Would most likely get one of those suppressor wraps for the heat. https://silencerco.com/shop/high-temp-suppressor-cover/
I like the look of the shrouded barrel, so if i do not attach the can to the shroud I will most likely make the can screw onto the barrel and end up flush fit to te shroud, so it still looks like a single piece.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Your stuff, your choice, but that doesn't sound prudent to me. The mounting of a suppressor needs to be concentric to the bore. Mounting the can to a factory barrel thread flush with the shroud would be a safer bet IMHO. I would just make sure that there was a little gap between the can and the shroud. If the shroud is not perfectly concentric to the bore, the shroud might push the can out of concentric alignment with the bore. Baffle strikes are not a good thing.

Scott

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Here is my 9mm ar pistol with a 5.5" barrel, 7" handguard and a can. Did not do the direct thread thing. Can is attached to the threaded barrel

Attachments

• PSX_20221107_102410.jpg
    PSX_20221107_102410.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 65

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter