handgun red dot sights. what do you use, do you like it, and why. and dot size

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
PSX_20201024_133745.jpg
(UPDATE: I have bought a optic. Thank you all for your input. I have come to the conclusion that I need more guns so I can buy more optics.)

As the title says, what is your favorite handgun optic? I have a optic ready Walther PPQ that i am looking for a sight for. Here are what i think are selling points for me.
Shake awake
Good warranty
Auto brightness
Under $300

Have been eyeing the vortex venom, seems to fit the bill relatively good. I think its just missing the shake awake deal. Sig romeo zero seems like the best budget one out there, its pricier sibling, the romeo 1 seems to fit my bill fairly well as well. Obviously a trijicon would be nice... but i do have a budget.

Also what dot size is best in your opinion?
Seems large dots are great for super close range, and obviously a small dot would be harder to find and see. I dont do the shooting targets 5 yards away thing. I shoot anywheres from 10-50 yards... have been known to stretch the distance on occasions as well.

What do you have, and why do you like it? (If you do). If you have a stupid expensive optic i still want to hear about it!

Hope this is in the correct thread area.

Here is a pic of my currently opticless gun.

Attachments

• PSX_20200924_234655.jpg
    PSX_20200924_234655.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Vortex Venom 3 MOA on a S&W Victory and Ruger 22/45.

Burris FastFire III on a S&W M41. Don't recall the dot size but probably 2-3 MOA.

I have a Walther PPQ exactly like yours and if I recall the mount options from the factory are somewhat limited. Maybe I'm wrong but seems like I recall the Leupold Deltapoint Pro and a couple of others were my choices. I opted to not put a red dot on it for now, especially since the supply chain is broken and the most desirable items out of stock and or priced at a premium.

hfoster223

Holosun red dot, have a couple, I like the battery life and the motion activated instant on with a shut off after no movement detected after a certain time. 12 settings - 2 night vision, can choose from dot or 32MOA circle.
So far holds zero perfect, I've been using them for about 2 years.

OldBesty

Have a Leupold Delta Point Pro w/ 7.5 MOA Triangle Reticle

Pros:

-larger lens with superb lens clarity
-rugged/durable construction; lightweight aluminum and shroud made of "spring steel"
-MST (motion sensor technology): turns on reliably with detected motion, off after 5min no motion
-long battery life and top cover battery
-designed to fit accessory rear sight

Cons:

-due to my eyes suffering astigmatisms: reticle smears and starbursts (becomes problematic with brighter settings and longer distance precision shooting applications)
-lacks auto-brightness circuit
-price > $300 but got mine for $320 when on sale

Summary:

-Good quality optic unless you have astigmatisms (2.5 MOA Dot version may have been better choice in retrospect)
-Older design technology lacking effective auto-brightness circuit

Last edited:

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
@scott: Walther has 3 different optic plate options for our guns. If you bought yours fairly recently you may be able to get your first plate free from them. Bought the Q because they had a promotion running at the start of this freak out. "Essential workers" and first responders get it for $500.
https://waltherarms.com/optic-plate-request/
https://waltherarms.com/2019/05/28/optic-mounting-plate-guide-walther-tips/

Seems the leupolds claim to fame is sight picture. But its priced like it should have every bell and whistle. If it was regularly $320 it might be a option
The only downside to the holosun is the warranty. Does anybody know where they are made? I think the company is based out of that west coast state that requires smog suckers on the muzzle and noise enchancers on single shot guns.
Vortex and burris have the warranty, but no shake awake

OldBesty

Probably lacks the auto-brightness circuit because its a design over 6 years old, and auto-brightness circuit development was still more in its infancy then.

Forgot to mention the Leupold DP Pro is designed to fit a rear iron sight accessory.

Holosuns are made and assembled in China.

Last edited:

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Yeah. The iron sight accessory is a super cool feature on the leupold. Seems it should be more common. My Q's rear iron is part of the optic plate. So if i put a optic on it i no longer have a iron.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
My opinion is that for a self-defense handgun I want only tritium night sights and a good laser-light combo. A red dot is the last thing I want to fool with in my home, at night, under stress.

As for the range, there are many serviceable and reliable red dots for under $300. There are good ones at higher cost but I personally don't see the value in most of the features. I don't care about night vision and batteries are cheap.

OldBesty

There are advantages and disadvantages with reflex red dots on handguns. Law Enforcement Agency Departments around the country are increasingly starting to include them on their issued duty pistols.

For duty or self-defense purposes, I would be hesitant to rely on one without backup iron-sights.

I will respectfully disagree about price-point being an absolute indication of "range toy vs. suitable for weapon".

I lend a link of a 4 year study that may be worth perusing:

Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use

Here is also a summary done on the article:

https://lockedback.com/results-4-year-handgun-red-dot-study-sage-dynamics/

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
This gun i consider more of a outside gun than a "bump in the night" gun. My nightstand piece is a walther creed with night sights... which if we judge a gun by the price; it is probably terrible for that. But it is a highly reliable, highly predictable, decent capacity, comfortable firearm. Actually thought about selling it when i got the Q, until i shot it again. My opinion (for what its worth) is that a reliable handgun is deadly no matter the price... it doesnt shoot dollar bills, it shoots lead.
The red dot on the Q is a outside thing. I may put a laser light combo on it, which would make it useful indoors. I do see the unwealdiness of a red dot in confined spaces.

@besty will check that link out when i get a chance. Totally see the iron backup thing. If things get real rough it sucks to have electronic gadthets fail.

OldBesty

Page 16/17 has some compelling data and observations about failures.

Good reason why Trijicon RMR and Leupold DP are getting the Military and LE contracts.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Excellent paper! Thank you very much besty! The trijicon and leupold did do the best on reliability test... wish my pockets were as deep as uncle sams!

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I'm seeing more and more of them on concealed carry guns, not sure I'd want the extra bulk

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
My favorite: TRIJICON RM05G-33 RMR 9.0 MOA GREEN with mount ~$425
I've found it quite robust

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
@matt: in the reviews for that trijicon a lot of people mention having issues seeing the dot when shooting from a darker area then the target. One said it was a problem in a indoor range, where the booth was dimly lit and target was bright, they had trouble seeing the dot. A totally passsive sight is a great idea, except it seems in that instance. Seems that electric sights may suffer from the same issue however as the photocell is mounted on the optic and is most likely not judging the light conditions down range. Have you had any adverse experiences with your passive sight?

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
FWIW, I started painting my Front Sights "Bright Yellow" a long time ago; it shows up against almost any color.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
I paint my edc EC9S sights with glow in the dark paint. Rubs off of the rear sight. Gotta get some clear nail polish.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Holosun are making some great products. There is an uber long and detailed thread on Lightfighter.net with multiple posts from SME's.
Steve Fisher (Sentinel Concepts) has been using Holosuns.
RMRs will fail eventually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter