Heads-up on SMG extractors

tomk

I recently went through a learning curve sourcing an extractor for a factory SMG. The extractor that I got was too long for the bolt. Visual differences include a seam running the length of the extractor, plus the standard screwdriver slot on the base is oriented 90 degrees off.

The extractor stuck out far enough that it hit the edge of the barrel when I hand-cycled the bolt. Had I tried to shoot with it, it would've chewed up my barrel. I took a few pics.

I've since seen some older posts in the forum about "too long" extractors, but given the shrinking supply (and my recent experience), I thought that it may be timely to share for anyone else looking to buy what may be available "out there". Be aware. I hope that this helps!

20230216_222423.jpg20230216_222515.jpg20230216_222600.jpg

tomk

It came from an individual. He told me that he bought it on GB. I've heard different thoughts on where it came from, but since I don't have firsthand information, I can't share the info I was told. My general understanding is that they may being offered as a "one size fits all" = 45, 9mm, semi, smg.

My post here is only to share my experience with pics so that others can be "aware" of possible issues out there.

I think that there are too many matching features such as dimensions allowing it to be pushed through the bolt, retaining pin alignment, orientation with bolt face, etc. for this to not have been made for an Uzi bolt. I may be wrong of course, and am interested to hear other inputs on the extractor.

tomk

Looks like it but the GG retaining pin slot / cut is on the other side (?).
20230217_182431.jpg

Slowmo

I bought some bolts from Sarco, and they each came with an extractor that is too long and has the slot 90-degrees off as you have shown in your pictures. Didn’t realize it until I already had them for awhile.

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
SARCO has been bringing in more and more Chinese junk. I bought a Broomhandle Mauser reproduction stock from them that require a a great deal of fitting and other work. The quality was acceptable, bu nothing terribly impressive.

For many years SARCO had huge quantities of parts kits, C&R firearms and other great finds; in recent years it seems to have all dried up.

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
Just some trivia..... A very old friend and firearms appraiser told me back in around 1980 that the owner, Charlie Steen, was a convicted felon. Supposedly since the early 70's the FFL has been in someone else's name. Naturally this is not a part of his glowing bio on the company's website. Even back then, he told me the key words were definitely Caveat Emptor when dealing with SARCO.
Disclaimer: I have done biz with them on and off over the years and never had a bad experience.

Back on topic.... It looks like I am going to have to go back and carefully examine all my extractor stock.
I never thought I'd see the day where Uzi extractors would be rare??? Wish I had bought more.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
I’m glad I stocked up when I did years ago. Just for the hell of it I put one up on Gunbroker and it sold for $136 crazy times. The one in my bolt I put thousands of rounds through and it’s still running strong. I guess it depends who made them.

Attachments

• B46E37A6-1D5F-4CB5-BE1A-93531447AAAD.jpeg
    B46E37A6-1D5F-4CB5-BE1A-93531447AAAD.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 29

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
So I just checked and my spares are in fact the bogus SARCO extractors. Guess I need to keep looking for some real ones. This is my last SARCO purchase, obviously.

Slowmo

So I just checked and my spares are in fact the bogus SARCO extractors. Guess I need to keep looking for some real ones. This is my last SARCO purchase, obviously.
Yep, I won't be buying anything else from SARCO either. Fool me once . . .

delta-10

This might be a stupid question but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway. Could you not just take a Dremel or a little cut off blade of some sort and cut the slot a little bit wider so that it would slide further back in the bolt so it would fit correctly? You wouldn't have to worry about it sticking out of the back side of the bolt and with the slot being widened the tension pulling the case it should then fit up against the retaining pin.

This obviously wouldn't be my first choice of extractor but hell you're stuck with it so cut it to fit in case you don't have anything better and then you've not left in a bind you'd have something to use?

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
This might be a stupid question but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway. Could you not just take a Dremel or a little cut off blade of some sort and cut the slot a little bit wider so that it would slide further back in the bolt so it would fit correctly? You wouldn't have to worry about it sticking out of the back side of the bolt and with the slot being widened the tension pulling the case it should then fit up against the retaining pin.

This obviously wouldn't be my first choice of extractor but hell you're stuck with it so cut it to fit in case you don't have anything better and then you've not left in a bind you'd have something to use?
I thought about this, but I don't think this would work because there would be delayed extraction as the rearward moving bolt starts that motion and the extractor remains stationary due to the extra space in the slot created by your dremel job. It MIGHT work, but given how timing is so critical, chances are some part of the extraction/ejection/feed ballet would be out of sync.
Secondly, an extractor shaft moving back and forth inside the bolt is going to wear both and quickly. That's not good, but maybe not bad. I don't think I want to find out.

But a possible solution is to dremel / file material from the front side of the extractor pin slot, then make a spacer of the same thickness that you removed from the front. The space would need to go behind the extractor pin and would prevent movement.

A lot of trouble caused by cheap chinese imitations that are probably not made from the proper steel or properly tempered. I'd bet if you went to all this trouble the darn thing would chip or break or wear out quickly.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I thought about this, but I don't think this would work because there would be delayed extraction as the rearward moving bolt starts that motion and the extractor remains stationary due to the extra space in the slot created by your dremel job. It MIGHT work, but given how timing is so critical, chances are some part of the extraction/ejection/feed ballet would be out of sync.
Secondly, an extractor shaft moving back and forth inside the bolt is going to wear both and quickly. That's not good, but maybe not bad. I don't think I want to find out.

But a possible solution is to dremel / file material from the front side of the extractor pin slot, then make a spacer of the same thickness that you removed from the front. The space would need to go behind the extractor pin and would prevent movement.

A lot of trouble caused by cheap chinese imitations that are probably not made from the proper steel or properly tempered. I'd bet if you went to all this trouble the darn thing would chip or break or wear out quickly.

lol, yeah, if they couldn't make it the right shape, thereis about 0% chance it is properly heat treated...
Extractors live a pretty tough life even when made properly...

root

UZI Talk Supporter
SARCO

Sells
Any
Rusty
Crap
Often

Ya they have sent me some real winners over the years.
The Bren kit was by far the best had to send it back and pay shipping 3x
for their mistake.

They admitted there wasn't anything usable but the screws in the so called kit.
Paid shipping on the original purchase.
Paid to return it.
Paid shipping for the swapped out kit they replaced it with.

30 bux each time made the kit more expensive then the non sale price.

glad to read about these extractors.
Don't need any but good to know in case the info needs passed along.

Dirk Hawthorne

I got an UZI parts kit that was listed as VG/EXE from SARCO and it looked like it had been put in a dryer with a handful of rocks and shovel of sand and tumbled for a few weeks.

It was such a pile of junk that it was comical. I don't think it is possible to find a more pitted, scraped, dented UZI kit.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter