How Many Types of Cartridges you Reload?

atfsux

Yep, like others here, always try to load for what I got. Especially the weirder and more difficult to find loaded ammo for, like 8mm Hungarian (8x56R). You can't just go down to Walmart and pick up some .32-20 or .38-45Clark. And now that all the surplus .303 and 8mm Mauser are essentially gone, reloading is about the only resource for shooting those in any quantity. I've spent over 30 years collecting die sets for all my stuff, and it has become quite a collection. Besides those already mentioned, the stockpile of dies includes .223, .243, .257Roberts, 6.5Grendel, 6.5Creedmore, 6.5SwedeMauser, 7mmMauser, .30Carbine, .300blackout, .308, .30-06, 7.5 Swiss, 7.5 French, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, .30Tok, .32Long/.32H&Rmag, .380, .38/.357, 9mmLuger, 9x23Win, 9x25Dillon, .40S&W/10mm, .44spl./.44mag, .45acp, .45Scofield/.45LC, .50spl./.500mag

Some of these I don't weapons in those calibers anymore. But I don't let go of the dies because I might in the future, and some of the dies are as difficult to find these days as the weapons themselves.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
When I was younger and had more time than money, I reloaded for everything I shot. Back then it was cheaper to reload than buy ammo. Also rifle ammo was more accurate as I tuned my reloads to my rifle. Some where along the line, I had less time for shooting and less time for reloading while raising a family and pursuing a career. When I got older and had time to shoot again I was more interested in SMGs. Pre COVID when 9mm was less than 0.20/round for FMJ ammo I could not justify reloading. 5.56 and 7.62 NATO were also cheap compared to component prices so just bought ammo. Of course post COVID, primers are almost as much as loaded ammo used to be.

So back in the day, I loaded: 9mm .38, .357, .357 Maximum, .41 Mag, .44 special, .44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Auto-rim, 45 Win Mag, 45 Colt, .223, 22-250, 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30, 30-30 Ack Imp, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 303 Brit, 338 Win Mag, 458 Win Mag, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, and 12 gauge.

In addition I have dies for numerous calibers that I never got around to reloading. Rather than purchasing new brass, normally I would buy factory ammo and a set of dies with the intention of reloading after a had a supply of once fired brass. Of course for odd ball magnum or hard to find ammo sometimes buying virgin brass is cheaper. When I retire I plan to get back in the reloading room and out to the range more often. I do find it relaxing to reload.

GaGunner

UZI Talk Supporter
I reload or have reloaded for the following: .223/5.6 (in Past) now I have a stock of factory ammo. .32ACP; 32 Long; 30 Carbine; .308 ( I like reduced loads for less $$); 7.6 X39 (in past have not shot that in a while); 9mm; 38 Special (in past); .357; 10MM; 44 Mag (just started, still working up a good mid-range 1,000 to 1,150 load); 10MM; and 45 ACP. Got other dies, but have not started loading for 303 British or 30-06.

I usually bulk load 1,000 to 1,500 one caliber and then move on to something else I am planning to shoot or know I regularly shot. I like reloading because it allows me to spread the pain out over time as I buy the components. Of course like everyone else the primer situation is a real bummer. In the last 3 months had to buy, a 1,000 rds of 9MM because I did not have the primers to reload for it and I want to shoot it again.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
Good question. I'd have to break it up between actual reloading and aspirational reloading (as in what I'm set up to reload but haven't yet gotten around to).

Actual reloading:

380 ACP - this was the first caliber I ever reloaded for and started with a little LEE Loader kit and a hammer until finally getting a press and dies. I still have plenty of cases and bullets for it as well as molds to make lead bullets if needed.

9mm Luger - after upgrading to a press for my 380's this was the first caliber I added. This is probably the one I've reloaded the most of as I used to use these on my UZI. Some pistols void the warranty if you shoot reloads but I was shooting a Norinco UZI so warranty was not a factor and the UZI bolt is like an anvil anyway so I didn't worry so I was able to reload without so much trepidation. I also have plenty of components and molds for this as well.

45ACP - I loaded this for a while, but some years ago had to sell all my 45cal firearms. I'm still set up to load this as I do plan to buy some new ones eventually. Still have components and molds but as I have about 1K of loaded ammo with nothing to shoot it out of, I don't think I'll get around to loading this for a while.

7.62x25 - I've only loaded a few of these as at the time it was difficult to get boxer cases for it. Many years ago, Starline started offering ten free sample cases to anyone who wanted to test out their product and I had everyone in my fraternity call in and get their 10 cases in this caliber for me. That's the only way I got enough cases to actually work up a batch. Now, I wish I'd kept all my brass cased Berdan cases as I recently got the kit to covert them to boxer. I don't currently have any components for this caliber that are not loaded into ammunition (well, maybe a bullet or two).

7.62x39 - this was the first rifle caliber I tried and realized rifle loading was somewhat different than pistol caliber loading (it can be anyway). Most of the stuff I'd been shooting was steel cased Berdan but I'd been saving used brass Boxer cases for years whenever I shot them before I had enough to consider it worthwhile to work up a batch. After I got the hang of it, I ordered a second set of de-capping pins and cut off the pin part to use these to resize several hundred loaded primed steel cases that had misfed and gotten distorted somehow (well lubed up of course). I managed to get these all to go bang and even re-used some of the projectiles. I might have tried to reuse the powder but they were all different bullets from different manufacturers, countries and dates so I couldn't just combine it all. I do have some cases and plenty of bullets if I ever need to load more, but most of my ammo is still steel cased.

223 - Once again, I'd been saving friends' cases for years before I even got a rifle in this caliber but when I did, I was able to load up some of these for a local competition. I used them in a heavy barreled AR shooting at about 430yds and I actually won! I have plenty of components whenever I want to load some of these up too.

308 - I added this rifle caliber after I won the exact rifle I'd been wanting to buy at a gun show. Yes, those raffles are real, and it only took me about 20 years of attending to win! I was at that show to sell my last 1911 due to unemployment. Winning that rifle was like God's way of evening it out for me and telling me I was being responsible. Since it's a bolt action, I've saved every case I ever shot and a non-reloading friend gave me all his cases so I have plenty of components for this. Of all my calibers this may be the one I begin making first the next time I start a session as I only have one box of loaded ammo.

As for aspirational reloading:

9mm Makarov - I have a pistol in this caliber and about 1K rounds, but haven't yet collected enough cases to reload a batch. I also don't have any bullets for it. I did get the dies for it through.

40 S&W - Similar to above, over the years, I sometimes found a few cases in this caliber mixed in with my 9mm and 45ACP pickups and didn't throw them away. I recently finally got the pistol I'd been wanting and got plenty of ammo at a pretty good price but don't have enough cases to work up a batch yet, but I did get the dies.

7.62x45 (yes, 45) - I got the rifle that shoots this caliber over 10 years ago and purchased the dies from RCBS (they've since been discontinued). My plan was to load up some cases to fire-lap the typically lousy bore a bit but I never got around to it, mostly because it's next to impossible to get the cases. One place makes them out of 6.5 Carcano brass, but it's pretty expensive. Now that I have the kit to convert Berdan to Boxer I've been looking for brass cased ammo in this caliber. I've verified that it does exist but like the steel cased stuff it's all Berdan primed. I missed out on a whole case of it about a year ago due to being broke at the time, but when I finally get some, I'll collect my cases and start the process. (Like I said, it's all aspirational) I do have several hundred "factory" rounds of it on hand but it's all steel cased and my experience is that not all of it goes boom.

As for other consumables, I have about ten pounds of lead I can use to mold bullets I don't have. I also have several thousand primers in different sizes and several bottles of powder. My practice was to always pick up anything I could use whenever I saw it at a good price but that's not been happening recently. In fact the last real bargain I got was in Atlanta back in 2022 when I got 3 full bottles of HP38 for $100 even for all three. I'm glad I'd stocked up on primers before things got crazy too.

Thanks for asking BTW, I had fun mentally going over everything and it helped me plan things out a bit. I guess I should get working on those 308 reloads.

Roaster72

UZI Talk Supporter
22 Hornet, 22 Remington Jet, 221 Fireball, 223, 30/30, 308, 9mm Luger, 38/357, 41 Magnum, 44 Special/Magnum, 45 ACP, 45/70, 458 Win Mag

I load on a Lee Turret and keep 6 of these permanently in their own turret. Others( .e. 22 RemJet) get loaded very sporadically and get put in a spare turret when needed.

This was a fun exercise. I almost forgot a couple as i reload them so infrequently.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter