IMI Magal

MelonDinger

I’ve been browsing around looking for any kind of information on the Magal. However, it seems what I can find is very limited. My main issue is finding the polymer jacket the receiver drops in. I understand only a small number were produced, so if anyone has any kind of dimensions or blueprints they’d be willing to share I would be grateful.

fortyfive1911a1

I think finding one of these in the wild will be extremely unlikely as it is a very scarce item. Also, drawings of such things are not a good idea to share even if someone had access due to ITAR restriction and such.

I’m sure IWI would also not be pleased with their proprietary drawings being shared, even if they never intend to build again.

All that being said, an interesting firearm. I hope Forgotten Weapons does an episode on them one day.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
I think finding one of these in the wild will be extremely unlikely as it is a very scarce item. Also, drawings of such things are not a good idea to share even if someone had access due to ITAR restriction and such.

I’m sure IWI would also not be pleased with their proprietary drawings being shared, even if they never intend to build again.

All that being said, an interesting firearm. I hope Forgotten Weapons does an episode on them one day.

Tell me more of this "Forgotten Weapons". Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

Mr Folgers

MAGAL was a limited use replacement weapon for the M1 Carbine that was issued to semi-civilian personnel (teachers) and I believe some police.

They are extremely rare. Blackthorne had scores of the plastic shells for sale years ago, probably the entire lot that IMI made.

As far as I know they are no longer around Israel. .30 Carbine is an outdated cartridge and the police get Micro Galils now or MTAR.

jetskrtal

UZI Talk Life Member
xXSMglnm.jpg

Fake suppressor
Custom gas block
308 style stock
Galil and AK receivers fit in the poly lower

adipose

Awww! The Magal in .30 carbine issued to the police!

magal1.jpgmagal-police.jpg56157962.jpg

Attachments

• 56157962.jpg
    56157962.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 160

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
MAGAL was a limited use replacement weapon for the M1 Carbine that was issued to semi-civilian personnel (teachers) and I believe some police.

They are extremely rare. Blackthorne had scores of the plastic shells for sale years ago, probably the entire lot that IMI made.

As far as I know they are no longer around Israel. .30 Carbine is an outdated cartridge and the police get Micro Galils now or MTAR.

I don't know that it was to replace the M1 carbine -- it was to supplement and use up all the WW2 and Korean War-era .30 carbine ammo and mags the US and Europe gave them after France implemented an arms embargo in the late 1960s and they feared other nations might follow... There were also issues of Israel having economic recessions/depressions throughout much of this time as well, meaning they had to pinch pennies.
The Galil was originally produced domestically for similar reasons -- to ensure available small arms before US under Reagan began granting Israel military "grants" instead of previous "loans" and to help stimulate the domestic economy, as well as an export item for trade.

Reagan's 1980s grants is when floodgates opened and US-produced small arms (M16/M4), provided for free by the US taxpayer, began flooding into Israel along with many other forms of military aid. And when the Galil was largely dumped and remaining Israeli vintage small arms/ammo were mothballed or sold.

Importantly, the 5.56 Galil was a frontline infantry weapon, while Magal was a support troops and police weapon due to slightly less effective caliber; however, the Magal weighed as much if not less than the Uzi while having significantly more capability... Increase in terrorism probably necessitated this more precise and powerful weapon system over previous handguns and SMGs. 7.62 Galil was more of a DMR role, while Galatz obviously a precision weapon.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter