Insane 9mm M16 trigger slap

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
To me, there are two very different applications and some assumptions. A semi auto PCC competitor will be looking for recoil management and follow up shots. There would tend to be a tendency for quick cycling and recoil management.

There is a balance between enough spring pressure to mitigate rearward bolt speed, end of travel recoil transfer, and spring strength to cycle the action. There are two basic ways to slow cyclic rate in a blowback system, spring rate and bolt mass. So the PCC competitor will be looking for the fastest cycle rate to lower split times. So that application will focus on higher spring rate to soften end of cycle recoil mitigation and quicker cycle time. A hydraulic buffer with a stronger hydraulic cycle pressure would be preferred, especially when the stronger spring drives the bolt faster into battery. So that stronger valve/spring internal mechanism of the RB5007 or RB 5015 would be beneficial.

The full auto shooter is actually looking to slow the cyclic rate. As long as the spring is strong enough to strip the top round from a fresh magazine softer recoil spring will tend to slow cyclic rate. That is why the flat wire spring is recommended for full auto.

The other difference between the PCC competitor and full auto shooter is the release of the hammer. The semi auto competitor fires the follow up shot after a complete cycle of the bolt group and a function of the trigger. The trigger can not be actuated until the bolt group has completely cycled. The M16 system, in full auto is designed to release the hammer before the bolt is fully in battery. If timing is perfect, the round will ignite at the exact moment the round is in complete battery. The design has some tolerance for a little delay or premature ignition. The heavier valved PCC buffer is slower to absorb the forward motion because in the PCC application it has the time to absorb the bolt bounce from being fully into battery before the hammer can be released. A full auto application doesn't have the time for stronger valving. So the valving should be weaker to allow more of the mass of the buffer to be in place to absorb the next round's recoil. The full auto application just doesn't have the time that the semi auto system has to cycle. "amphibian" has done a great deal of full auto testing. It is my understanding that the softer spring and valving (additionally the increased mass) of the RB5005 can cycle fast enough for greater benefit in a full auto application.

I am not a mechanical engineer. Given what I know of the systems, what I have expressed makes the most sense to me, that the softer valved/spring system will tend to work better in a full auto application. I would think that the vast majority of Kynshot customers are looking for semi auto applications. That would be why Kynshot would recommend the heavier valve and spring buffers for that 9mm blowback application. I have seen myself that the lighter valve/spring variant is smoother in full auto than the heavier valve/spring variant with all other variables the same. YMMV.

Scott

SecondAmend

I put a 9QT buffer in my m16 with the 12oz's of tungsten. So smooth. Transformed the gun.
Most shooters find that a large amount of reciprocating mass causes excessive muzzle flip and/or a "chuggy" feel - aka "bowling ball in a shoebox effect".

MHO, YMMV, etc.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
The only 9mm M16s I've shot belonged to Uncle Sam, so you can be sure that they didn't have the latest, greatest custom parts. In my experience, they were very "choppy" when fired. I'm glad I wasn't issued one for general use.

SecondAmend

... There are two basic ways to slow cyclic rate in a blowback system, spring rate and bolt mass...
Scott
At least a couple of other parameters that are generally considered to effect full auto rate of fire (ROF) are stroke length and damping.

In 9mm M16 machine gun applications, shooters often place a spacer in the rear of the buffer tube. In my 9mm M16 configuration using a standard two-piece "mechanical" 9mm buffer and no spacer, the ROF is about 870 rounds per minute (RPM). While with the same buffer but with a spacer in the back of the buffer tube, the ROF is 985. I have measured a similar spacer induced, shortened stroke ROF increase with other buffers. I use a Glock pattern magazine or Uzi magazine magwell adapter and no LRBHO; and hence, no spacer is needed.

Best of luck with whatever is pursued.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
I find your choice of buffer somewhat surprising. From the KynSHOT website, RB5005 buffer section: "DO NOT USE IN 9mm AR-15s. For 9mm AR15s use KynSHOT P/N RB5007, RB5015HD, or RB5020SS. See Selection Matrix for proper buffer choice:."

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Thanks for the feedback - I’ll take a look at it.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
At least a couple of other parameters that are generally considered to effect full auto rate of fire (ROF) are stroke length and damping.

In 9mm M16 machine gun applications, shooters often place a spacer in the rear of the buffer tube. In my 9mm M16 configuration using a standard two-piece "mechanical" 9mm buffer and no spacer, the ROF is about 870 rounds per minute (RPM). While with the same buffer but with a spacer in the back of the buffer tube, the ROF is 985. I have measured a similar spacer induced, shortened stroke ROF increase with other buffers. I use a Glock pattern magazine or Uzi magazine magwell adapter and no LRBHO; and hence, no spacer is needed.

Best of luck with whatever is pursued.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.
To be clear, I did say to slow cyclic rate, not to change or speed it up. You did get me because I didn't qualify that the basic design of of the firearm was not to be changed. So to slow cyclic rate of the basic Colt blowback system without changing the basic components (upper, barrel, or bolt) which would not change stroke length. The buffer tube can be lengthened, but the buffer would need to correspondingly, be lengthened or the cocking fixture would strike the inside of the upper receiver. I am not sure what you mean by "damping"?

Scott

SecondAmend

Thanks for the feedback - I’ll take a look at it.
Probably a good idea. While the B & T hydraulic buffer appears to be compatible with 9mm and 5.56x45 AR applications, KynSHOT seems to have optimized or particularized their AR hydraulic buffers to a number of rather specific applications. Were a user to install and shoot using the wrong design buffer, as well as suboptimal performance, damage to the buffer and/or firearm components might result.

Good luck!

Last edited:

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
I find your choice of buffer somewhat surprising. From the KynSHOT website, RB5005 buffer section: "DO NOT USE IN 9mm AR-15s. For 9mm AR15s use KynSHOT P/N RB5007, RB5015HD, or RB5020SS. See Selection Matrix for proper buffer choice:."

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Yes, my choice is the 5005 with a spacer. Works great, but I will compare it with a 5007 for ROF and smoothness, when I can get a "round tuit".
HT Buffers.jpg

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Don't know if any of you guys have checked out @Droppoint's website: https://blowback9.wordpress.com/
He has done a lot of tinkering with the AR 9mm straight blowback. He came to a similar conclusion as I did regarding the smoothest setup for the straight blowback AR 9mm as I did for the CMMG RDB. (flat spring and Kynshot hydraulic)
For straight blowback, it is basically the same setup I'm using for my CMMG RDB except he is adding in two weighted spacers.
He discusses it in his article here: https://blowback9.wordpress.com/2022/12/06/ultimate-gentle-recoil-9mm-ar/
Picture below is from his website. He is using a Wilson Combat flat spring (I found out that the same manufacturer that makes the flat springs for Wilson Combat also makes them for Tubb). Tubb spring works too.
RB5007 and two of the Kynshot 2.5oz spacer/weights.
Note that in order to stuff all that into a buffer tube he had to use the JRC extended buffer tube:
https://justrightcarbines.com/product/long-buffer-tube/?v=7516fd43adaa
20230118_151845.jpg

You can go with one spacer/weight with an A5 tube.

His youtube video shows the impulse but a significant lurch forward since there is so much mass (with just about all straight blowback setups).
I'm going to test this to see what kind of cyclic rate I can get in full auto.

Just for contrast, below is my CMMG RDB (delayed blowback setup). Less reciprocating mass.

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, my choice is the 5005 with a spacer. Works great, but I will compare it with a 5007 for ROF and smoothness, when I can get a "round tuit".
View attachment 38117
Yes! The 5007 without spacer is the best! I think I was using the 5005 (with spacers) as a temporary. But now tested, the 5007 is definitely the best buffer to complete the "smoothest shooting" OEM HT gun I have experienced...

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter