M11 Finally runs

sigfla

FFL/SOT
Finally got my M11 up and running right. Took some trial and error but a new trigger spring and disconnector did the trick. Had to ditch the paddle mag release I bought though b/c it made the mag sit too low in the well. The bolt was riding on top of the rounds. Pushed up on the mag while firing and proceeded to do 5 30 round mag dumps. WoooHoooo! This thing is fun when it works right.

Got home and replaced the paddle with the stock release and the mags sit much higher and fit better. I hate the stock release though. I have metal mags and the rounded edge just doesn't work well with it. I am gonna return this paddle and see if I just got a bad one. The catch on it is turned down a bit so it catches the mag really low in the well. It has a visible slant on the edge of the catch. Maybe I can just add some metal to it so it will hold the mag higher. What gets me is these things are supposed to err on the high side so you can file them down. I may have just got a bad one.

BTW also had my DIRR in it. I have seen alot of folks asking about this thing on the boards and was waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig but decided to go ahead and get one. All I can say with the limited experience I have had with it today is, it works and it is cool. The ROF was reduced significantly with it. I don't have a timer to measure but "seat of the pants" it was slower. I found the gun to be much more controllable than before.

A couple of things:
1. You have to have a sidecocker with it though b/c when it is in the gun is much harder to cock, stiffer but not uncomfortably so.
2. You may have to "fit" it a bit in your M11. A couple of secs with a dremel is all to get it to sit right across the mag well. No big deal.

pmf

Hope my luck is better than yours since I just bought a SWD M11/9 with a sten conversion from tactical innovations. Paid $1900 for it three weeks ago. Now they're going for $2550. Amazing.

Have you considered any of the following:

1. Tactical Innovations sells a gadget that allows a collapsable M16 stock to be mounted on the gun. This seems way better than the cheesey wire stocks they come with.

2. RPB sells a gizmo (advertised in SGN) that makes the gun side cocking and has a scope mount on it. They claim the cocking lever does not move when its fired and that its easy to cock.

3. A fake suppressor. Sure, the real one is the way to go, but I don't have the money to spend and the fake one is cheap and most importantly gives more to hold on to.

Karl -- surely you have tried all this stuff.

sigfla

FFL/SOT
Have a real supp on the gun already. Wouldn't shoot it without. Go with the Stoneycreek choate stock. I have one and it is damn nice. The upper I had to toss was my RPB sidecocker. I highly recommend you purchase one.

I am sure the sten converted m11 will run great out of the box. Mine needed some new parts put in it before it ran. no big deal. The trigger roll pin was worn along with the spring.

pmf

So the RPB sidecocker is worthwhile or not? You said you chucked it, but then said its highly recommended. I'm confused.

Is it easy to install (I am a far cry from a gun smith).

sigfla

FFL/SOT
Simple to install. I was refering to another post of mine where I described a stuck unfired round in the barrel. It had a heavy primer hit and alot of metal jammed between it and the barrel chamber. No fault of the upper. Just make sure you have a good (new) recoil spring in the gun and you should be ok. The rpb sidecocker was awesome. I hated to chunk it. I just felt the stuck round made it unsafe. Get one you will love it. The gun is sooo much easier to cock and handle with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter